Used 2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

pricey
By viadisgr

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my Gti off a lease,was happy with it.But when my timing belt went at 70,000.Not happy with that.Spent to much money on it.

handling,turbo

timeing belt warning something.

I get excited everytime i turn it on.
By jrx45x

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is my love. I don't like how these cars look stock though. there kinda boxy and awkward. So i lowered mine and its the most amazing thing ever i get so many looks. At first i got it with 60k miles and it needed alot of maintenance like timing belt and ignition coils. Timing belt was $1000 at dealer so i took somewhere else for $500. Beware, the dealer is expensive. I either fix stuff myself or take somewhere else. It is a reliable car if you treat it good. If you always rag on the car itll rag on your wallet. Its fast too, i wont ever sell mine, in fact when the engine goes i will swap another 1.8t into it i love it that much. Hope you like yours just as much as i do.

Turbo, Long gear ratio great for racing if you do. Sitting in the car feels like sitting at a table..its so comfortable rather then sitting slouched in other sports cars. The hatchback makes the car so useful. Cant get 4 wheels and tires in most other cars. seats go down very easy. lots of room in the back its surprising.

Lower it, Exhaust, Basic Short Ram Intake. Do these 3 things and you will love it forever.

2005 GTI 1.8 Turbo
By Brandon

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this vehicle after owning a 1999 Honda Civic. What a difference! I love my new car. The turbo sounds awesome. I was going to get another civic hatchback but might as well get a hatch that comes stock at 180 hp. I recommend putting an exhaust on it, it handles much better and sounds 100 times cooler. The sound of a stock GTI wasn't appealing so I got a Megan Racing cat back exhaust. I have a check engine light on all the time though and nothing is actually wrong with my car. The cruise control also doesn't work. hopefully everyone else was lucky and managed to keep theirs going.

Turbo, heated seats, 17" wheels

Stronger clutch, better suspension and electrical needs improvement

I look fly in my GTI 1.8T
By lea

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI its 5-manual love the way the turbo hits approx. 50 mpg to 80 and stops on a dime has the comfort as a 2006 lexus, I personally have two vehicles my other is ESCAPE 5- manual my GTI cannot compare to my other, I drive my GTI more than my escape. It's the way the onlookers around look at me flying in my ride.

The seating area has many options to choose from and love the blue lights and is roomy.

The radio should shut off once car door opens.

Excellent Performance
By Kevin

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I realized that I was going to purchase this car about 5 minutes after test driving it new from the dealer. After my typical painstakingly analytical comparisons of the GTI against its competitors, it boiled down to one simple emotion - the GTI was a blast to drive! That factor, and exceptional build quality convinced me to purchase the car. I've had the car for about 2 1/2 years and have absolutely no regrets!

The performance and handling characteristics are exceptional for a car in this class. The engine (turbo), and suspension are very impressive.

Power seat adjustment would be a nice feature.