2005 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
pricey
By viadisgr on 07/28/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my Gti off a lease,was happy with it.But when my timing belt went at 70,000.Not happy with that.Spent to much money on it.

I get excited everytime i turn it on.
By jrx45x on 07/18/12 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is my love. I don't like how these cars look stock though. there kinda boxy and awkward. So i lowered mine and its the most amazing thing ever i get so many looks. At first i got it with 60k miles and it needed alot of maintenance like timing belt and ignition coils. Timing belt was $1000 at dealer so i took somewhere else for $500. Beware, the dealer is expensive. I either fix stuff myself or take somewhere else. It is a reliable car if you treat it good. If you always rag on the car itll rag on your wallet. Its fast too, i wont ever sell mine, in fact when the engine goes i will swap another 1.8t into it i love it that much. Hope you like yours just as much as i do.

2005 GTI 1.8 Turbo
By Brandon on 09/26/08 13:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this vehicle after owning a 1999 Honda Civic. What a difference! I love my new car. The turbo sounds awesome. I was going to get another civic hatchback but might as well get a hatch that comes stock at 180 hp. I recommend putting an exhaust on it, it handles much better and sounds 100 times cooler. The sound of a stock GTI wasn't appealing so I got a Megan Racing cat back exhaust. I have a check engine light on all the time though and nothing is actually wrong with my car. The cruise control also doesn't work. hopefully everyone else was lucky and managed to keep theirs going.

I look fly in my GTI 1.8T
By lea on 06/25/08 14:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI its 5-manual love the way the turbo hits approx. 50 mpg to 80 and stops on a dime has the comfort as a 2006 lexus, I personally have two vehicles my other is ESCAPE 5- manual my GTI cannot compare to my other, I drive my GTI more than my escape. It's the way the onlookers around look at me flying in my ride.

Excellent Performance
By Kevin on 05/23/08 12:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I realized that I was going to purchase this car about 5 minutes after test driving it new from the dealer. After my typical painstakingly analytical comparisons of the GTI against its competitors, it boiled down to one simple emotion - the GTI was a blast to drive! That factor, and exceptional build quality convinced me to purchase the car. I've had the car for about 2 1/2 years and have absolutely no regrets!

GTi is great but..
By GRweigh on 05/18/08 01:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTi it's a great car, but I don't like how it only about gives 27 mpg. You would think that a small hatch back would way less then 3000 pounds and save pretty good gas. I understand that is turbo and it's cool. I think they should at least have tried to make it a 30 mpg. I haven't so far experienced any problems other technical problems with the car but I think It is a pain to have to fill up the gas with premium. Especially the price on gas right now.

Too many trips to the dealership
By Qlueless on 01/14/08 11:43 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have taken this car to the dealership more times in 9 months than my toyota has been in 8 years. I think right now there is water leaking on the passanger side floor, and also the trunk. I have had the trunk lock fixed twice, rear washer, drivers door lock, window fell inside door, had to be towed becuase it would not start, car alarm was going off every night at 3am. Had to leave battery disconnected everytime I got out of the car or the alarm would go off. Driver's seat stuck in place. I used to be a VW mechanic years ago, and this will be the LAST VW that I ever buy.

Fun but needs consideration before buying
By Katie on 09/26/07 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my first new car I bought. It was a great purchase for the price. It really gets up and goes. I really love taking turns that suggest 30 mph and you can sweep through it at 50. Great styling and love how the back seats fold flat for trips. Have had some problems with extreme wind noise and rattling. It seems most in the rear of the car and side panels, rather annoying actually because at about 2,000 miles it started. I was able to get a wind noise silencer kit that the dealership installed, but it still didn't do the trick. The gas mileage is ok, depending on how heavy your foot is on that turbo! It is a great buy and I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a fun car.

Great Buy, Great Fun
By Jorge on 07/13/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First of all, you can't beat the price of this car for the fun that you get. I was between this car and the Acura RSX S, but purchasing this car for 4K-5K less turned out to be a great decision. I love the 17" 15-spoke wheels, and the posh interior is identical to the Audi A4. The acceleration, engine noise, and handling make you want to be the friend who drives everybody around. This car has proven to be both functional and fun, as the back seat turns into a surprisingly large cargo area that beats any sedan as far as usefulness goes. Discrete looks with a fantastic pick-up at an unbeatable price makes this guy a proud GTI owner.

23 years of German Hot-Hatch-History
By Drew on 09/27/06 07:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love how the GTI has German engineering. It is a car fit for the Nurburgring. Highway speed can shoot from 55-85 mph at a drop of a hat. It has a good sound when reving through higher rpm. It has styling cues of the 3-door Audi S3. I love letting onlookers hear the turbo spool up and whistle. BME 3-Series drivers won't know what just flew past them. This is truely the poor man's Porsche Boxster.