2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great Value
By pdxtomct on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car after owning two GTIs with the 1.8t engine. The VR6 gives the car a completely different feel...much more stable, but decidely heavier through turns. The GTI is a fantastic road car, fun to drive and very solid. It's part sports car and part work horse.

unbelievable cool car
By Erwin on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

You have heard it all by now, and it's true. The car is way cool. This car is calling my name all day from the parking lot! VR6 is the way to go. Smoother engine (I also tested the 1.8T), and more torque at lower RPM's. The sound of the VR6 around 4000 RPM is killer! Sounds like a Porsche. Handles like a racecar. Doing 100 mph on I-95, not even realizing it. Every gear has same torque so accelarating is easy and a blast. Get it, you won't regret it!!

The Audi of VW's
By jessla on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

The AWD R32 is the car VW had to build to give it it's own Audi TT. Smooth, fast, no tire spin, great handleing. What more could you ask for? Maybe a lower price.

Never stranded, but always annoyed!!!!!
By IhateEngineLights on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I like the car. It is decent for milage and gas and getting me from A to B. I do not like going to the dealer to drop $160 so frequently to get a new Oxygen sensor. What the heck is that all about? Why do I have to see my obnoxious little engine light on **SO** much???????? It is too bad you can return cars, because I would have out of shear frustration.... Too new for these problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

good looks but bad service and engine
By gtidude03 on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

master cylinder went out at 15000 miles the clutch was sticking from the time i got it. the dealers kept telling me nothing was wrong. sounds like a diesel when until it is warmed up. climate control went out at 25 k miles.

Wow -- I want to drive all the time now!
By Pasvancouver on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a WOW!!! Talk about power, its got it, and then some! and the Leather and heated seats, add in the Computer Assisted Handling thats normaly on the $$$$ cars.. This GTI rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! -- One thing I couldn't beleive was the insurance was more then my SUV.. but all worth it! :)

Tons 'O Fun
By V-DUB on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just picked up a Reflex Silver/Black Cloth Interior, 17" wheels, Luxury Package, Cold Weather Package--The Lux Package & Cold Weather Package were a bonus as they could not locate a GTI with black cloth and 17" wheels. Wow! What a Car. Handles like a dream. Great on gas. Super cool European Styling. A real value. Fun to drive, distinctive looking. And my transaction with Attatamian VW/ Honda was the best by far on any new car purchase. I have had 5 new car purchases in the last 10 years. Ask for Joe Abernathy--Great guy. He'll get you what you want, at a reasonable price.

Good value for money!
By buachaill_og on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a beautiful little car and a lot of fun to drive. It's very responsive and very lively for a four cylinder engine. It has great build quality inside and out. I got it fully loaded with everything and it cost me $21,500. I like German Engineering, you definately are more in tune with the road and automatic is definately a waste of money. Manual is your only man:-)

D*mn near perfect
By godfathr609 on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the best car you can buy for $20,000. Its got performance, quality, a long list of standard features, and a solid grip on the road. Mine is still stock but many plans for this car that will make it an ultimate street racers. With minor modifications you can easily touch horsepower numbers of 250 and with high modifications, easily over 300 hp. The best part is, all those lil civics roll up dont think its got balls, till it eats them up!

Fun car
By my1stVW on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent car! Unfortunately, I hit an ugly pothole. The hole was so deep that my entire right wheel was destroyed. Took it back to the dealership, they had to order the rim from Germany. It's going to take 2 weeks to see the wheel since they don't have any stateside. Other than that, it's fun little car and I drive it everyday to and from work.