Used 2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Not what I expected
By greg

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car because I knew this car had great potential. However after 600 miles the car had problems starting. As well as a lot of other little electrical gremlins. Took it in and they said it was because I had installed an aftermarket cd player?!?! VW fixed the problem but I am scared to touch the car now. Wish I never bought it. In stock form it just sucks. I have also had problems with it randomly stalling at a red light when I turn on the a/c, a rough idle and window problems. With only 5000 miles on the car I'm looking to get rid of it! I will probably never buy a vw again.

Favorite Features

Turbo

Suggested Improvements

Better designed electrical. Bad leather. 30 day 1K mile return policy!!

Awesome!
By TIM

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My GTI is still fun to drive! I look forawrd to driving it everyday. it is the most reliable car I have ever owned!

Favorite Features

Interoir lights (dash) TURBO!

Suggested Improvements

None, except to make a 4wd 4 cylinder model...

2004 VW GTI VR6
By Adam

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

From the day I owned this car it has been a pleasure to drive. VW has a knack for incorperating 'feel' into thier cars. My GTI has more 'feel' than almost any non german car I have driven. Some people do not like to feel the road while they drive and just want to be as disconnected from the driving experience as possible. If you are one of these people do not get a VW. But if you are passionate about driving you will not be dissapointed with this car.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, crisp ride, ample torque, power everything, 6 speed transmission, nice body lines, Leather Seats, Lots of information at my fingertips on console display,

Suggested Improvements

Center Console is a bit awkward

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 - Big Mystery
By rainman

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

My 2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 is a beauty of a car. I have been in love with it since I was a kid. It is very nice to drive and has great acceleration. I commute to work and this car can get you out of trouble if you have to pass someone. I have to say though that Volkswagen's customer service stinks. My Monsoon stereo system went out a month ago and it still hasn't been replaced. Now something is wrong with some other electrical device in my car. Up untill a month ago I was very happy with this car. I paid too much money for it to have these stupid problems.

Favorite Features

The looks, wheels, torque, heated leather, and taking those sharp turns.

Suggested Improvements

Get the kinks worked out. I've been unhappy with the service and all of the little problems that I'm dealing with for a car that's not even 1 year old.

VW GTI
By altimateimports

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Overall, this is a great car. The engine is smooth and powerful. And the car feels very solid. A little too much performance is sacrificed for comfort.

Favorite Features

24v VR6 is smooth, torquey and sounds amazing with a better exhaust system. 6 speed has great gear ratios. 3 spoke leather wrapped steeringis very sporty, Heated seats. Not as common as most Japanese hatches - esp. the vr6 model.

Suggested Improvements

4X4 suspension is too soft to make good use of the power and ride height is too high. Needs to go on a diet. Tiny rear discs look silly. Throttle response not so great. Requires aftermarket suspension, exhaust and chip to unleash its full potential. Black headliner would be nice.