2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
2004 GTI 1.8T Automatic
By SF-Aaron on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have been quite happy so far with this vehicle. This car is way fun to drive, and has a nice roomy interior for a small car.

I love my GTI
By fussa on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car has been everything I've hoped it would be.

Great Car
By jeepsterk6 on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Great Car! Lots of power, and the VR6 does not over-power the front wheels as the 1.8 tends to do. Reliable, have had one problem which was with the ignition coils. This was a general recall and replaced under warranty. Great car in the snow. This car is really designed for 2 people, even 3 adults have a hard time in this car. Overall an excellent choice for a quick, sporty, personal luxury vehicle.

Excellent!
By Daniel Y on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Its a great little car!

VR6
By Robbo on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Performance with everyday applications...Very good around vehicle with lots of aftermarket goodies.

Best value for money.
By 1.8T advocate on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The VW GTI is an amazing deal for the money. I had [i]every[/i] option available, and it topped out at less than $24,000. Performance is great, and the transmission is very easy to use. Its very sporty when shifting, and the automatic mode is smooth as well. The 1.8T is a great engine, and a lot of power is available at a very low rpm. No car at this price can match the performance or equipment of this car. For under $24,000, I got heated leather seats, a manumatic transmission, Monsoon sound system, power everything, including sunroof, and 17 inch wheels. The 1.8T has been very reliable. I highly recommend this car.

Blast to drive
By Addicted2fit on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I own a 2002 VW GTI and love the car. It is so fun to drive. For the money you cannot beat the value. The only complaint I have is some electrical problems from time to time. The dealership has been great about getting them fixed and getting me a loaner to drive while in service. Love the car and recomend it highly to all that ask.

Drive one, you'll get it
By spookynuts on 06/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best F'in car aside from audi S3 and up.

10 cars in one!
By clarkma5 on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a loaded 2002 GTI 1.8T Tiptronic before that I loved, so I got another GTI 1.8T, but this time I skipped all the luxury stuff in an effort to get a better performance feel...so I have cloth, stick, no sunroof, and 17" wheels. The result is amazing. The engine feels so much stronger than before, the handling is much more neutral, with only light understeer, and the brakes feel positively fantastic now. Strip out all the luxury options and you end up with an RSX-beater for $18k, compared to $25k for the Acura. It's more comfortable, better looking, and more practical, and is also the best drag machine this side of a WRX or Mustang GT! Perfect!

Next time, I'm getting the VR6
By gti dreamn on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've waited 5 years for this GTI. So far it's been great. However, I will say it isn't for the impatient. The power is there, but some times it takes a second or 2. Gear selection is key. Fit and finish of the interior/exterior is good. Controls are within easy reach, but the HVAC knobs are a little too low for my taste. Well, at least the cup holders don't block the radio anymore. The front seats have plenty of adjustment to fit anyone. I compared this car to the RSX & A4 Avant, but liked the GTI better overall. On my next VW, I'm going with the VR6 motor for driving simplicity and for the extra features that come with it. Get the R32 if you can afford it.