2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Hot-hatch, Cheap Speed, All kinda fun
By jwestie85 on 09/02/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'm only 27 yrs old, but have gone through cars like water because i suffer from, "Gotta have the next thing-itis", and yeah, it's terminal. But anywho, this little car has got to be one of the best values for any one who REALLY loves to drive, and drive fast. This car fells uber strong 1st through 3rd gear, and the higher gears aren't too shabby either. (In 3rd at 6500 RPM, you're doing 85mph) The gas mileage isn't great if you stay in it, but is capable of getting 26 mpg or so on interstate. The 6 spd manual is an absolute dream to drive, takes learning to drive it right, but when you and the car agree, it's a beautiful thing. Summary: The German's build driver's cars.

Affordable Sports Luxury
By A VW to BMW owner on 07/05/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is the nicest car I've owned and I have owned plenty of American as well as foreign cars. It's nice to have every amenity possible including a cold weather package that included heated leather seat, heated mirrors, and head washer nozzles. The tilting & telescopic steering along with the fully adjustable seats make this car fit like a glove. The premium stereo is up there with high-end luxury models as well as the overall performance. The 200 h.p. VR6 runs perfect and with the paired smooth shifting 6-speed transmission, the drive is anything but dull. Congrats to making an affordable autobahn bred sports car obtainable by the working class.

Actually a Really Great Car
By JSC on 12/27/09 19:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car in 2007 at a VW dealership that had sold and serviced the car since new. It came to me with 24k miles, and I'm now unfortunately selling it (blame it on the economy) with 63k miles. I honestly have to say that I'm already regretting selling it - I love this car! It's a complete sleeper - it appears as a small econo-box to unsuspecting motorists, but it's really, really quick and can handle surprisingly well for a front-wheel drive car & the interior is up there with Audi/BMW/Mercedes/etc... Parts and labor charges at the dealer are up there also, it is a German car, so keep that in mind. If you cringe at $80 oil changes, do it yourself, or find a mechanic that does VW's.

Triumphant Pocket Rocket
By M on 10/30/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my GTI for right at 6 years now. Thus far I have only had one problem with it, and it was my fault. (I damage the clutch switch whilst I was installing an aftermarket sound system.) The car is quick - not fast, a title I reserve for vehicles that are actually fast, comfortable, and fun to drive. The leather seems to be of relatively high quality, and is quite supple. For an economical two door compact this one is great.

Great Car
By M NINE on 03/31/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is an amazing car if you want an affordable, convenient, all-purpose, luxurious daily driver that's fast enough to have some fun in. I bought it at 42k, have driven it on many road trips as well as LA daily traffic, which has brought me up to 59k in a year and a half.

Worst Car I've ever owned
By Sylvan on 01/02/09 10:14 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'm the second owner of this car and have had it a little over a year. It has no gaps in the service history, and has always been dealer-serviced. So far, the fuse box, both electric fans, and the transmission have failed (bearing). Total cost not covered under warranty? $4,000. My Ford Maverick was more reliable than this car! My Subaru has 130,000 miles on it and has never had a part fail!! Save yourself, and don't buy this or any other VW. For God's sake it's the 21st Century and they can't make a transmission last 65,000 miles!!!

I Like it a Lot
By steve on 03/07/06 05:12 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

i bought my 2004 VW GTI with some hesitation, I was concerned about the reliability. It has had some minor issues with reliability in the electrical department. I knew going in too that this car takes premium gas. This is not a great thing with a car that averages 19-24 mpg and the current cost of gas. Having said this, I do declare, that this car is wonderful. It is not a hot rod, but it is very fun. if I need the horses or torque, they are there. It is very solid, and the most comfortable car that I have ever owned. The hatchback is great, easy access and roomy. I don't see myself coming and going on the highways and byways of this town. I strongly recommend this funky little car.

2004 VW GTI VR6
By Adam on 02/02/05 06:01 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

From the day I owned this car it has been a pleasure to drive. VW has a knack for incorperating 'feel' into thier cars. My GTI has more 'feel' than almost any non german car I have driven. Some people do not like to feel the road while they drive and just want to be as disconnected from the driving experience as possible. If you are one of these people do not get a VW. But if you are passionate about driving you will not be dissapointed with this car.

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 - Big Mystery
By rainman on 01/09/05 23:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

My 2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 is a beauty of a car. I have been in love with it since I was a kid. It is very nice to drive and has great acceleration. I commute to work and this car can get you out of trouble if you have to pass someone. I have to say though that Volkswagen's customer service stinks. My Monsoon stereo system went out a month ago and it still hasn't been replaced. Now something is wrong with some other electrical device in my car. Up untill a month ago I was very happy with this car. I paid too much money for it to have these stupid problems.

VW GTI
By altimateimports on 12/16/04 09:22 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Overall, this is a great car. The engine is smooth and powerful. And the car feels very solid. A little too much performance is sacrificed for comfort.