2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
It does nothing wrong
By clarkma5 on 11/05/12 20:15 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my '04 GTI since it was new and I've just ticked over the 80k mark (this is my second GTI, after a '02 Tiptronic). It has never once had a mechanical or electrical problem. I've done just about everything in it...5 people and their stuff, track days, commuting, long road trips, backroad drives, snow, rain, sun, traffic, moving...short of towing or off-roading there's nothing it doesn't do competently or better. It's such a delightfully well-built car, it's no surprise that VW didn't actually profit from the MkIV Golf. Yes maintenance is important, but isn't it with every car? Do it on schedule and it's unbeatable!

Hot-hatch, Cheap Speed, All kinda fun
By jwestie85 on 09/02/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'm only 27 yrs old, but have gone through cars like water because i suffer from, "Gotta have the next thing-itis", and yeah, it's terminal. But anywho, this little car has got to be one of the best values for any one who REALLY loves to drive, and drive fast. This car fells uber strong 1st through 3rd gear, and the higher gears aren't too shabby either. (In 3rd at 6500 RPM, you're doing 85mph) The gas mileage isn't great if you stay in it, but is capable of getting 26 mpg or so on interstate. The 6 spd manual is an absolute dream to drive, takes learning to drive it right, but when you and the car agree, it's a beautiful thing. Summary: The German's build driver's cars.

firsttimeVdub
By firsttimevdub on 06/10/12 15:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first VW. Bought it used with 41K on it, and it's now got 123k and still going strong. This car is probably the most under-rated vehicle I've ever owned. It's super quick off the line, and even makes a nice cruiser on the highway. I drive quite a bit for work and have always had sufficient power I need to get around the freeways of Southern California. It's been a great car with no major issues. I feed it synthetic oil and 91 octane gas and it in turn, gets me where I need to go every single day. I'm sorry to have to sell it and get a 4 door, but if you're looking for a great car and don't need room for say, a child seat, I'd definitely check it out.

Best used car I've ever had
By rooyax on 07/10/11 20:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this in 09 with 91k, now have 105k. The quality of the interior is top notch, love the feel of the switch gear. Shifting and clutch action on the 5 speed is very smooth. Get around 24mpg mostly city driving, 30mpg hiway. I have the 17" rims which really look sharp. Great stereo too. Only repair besides tires in 2.5 yrs was coil modules that caused it to run like it was on 2 cylinders, was able to limp to shop in that shape. Check engine light is persistent for coolant temp, but confirmed that actual temp matches gauge, not hot. Just enough fun to drive with a couple blasts through 1st & 2nd with great cornering, but not too much power to get in trouble. Broke console hinge

Affordable Sports Luxury
By A VW to BMW owner on 07/05/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is the nicest car I've owned and I have owned plenty of American as well as foreign cars. It's nice to have every amenity possible including a cold weather package that included heated leather seat, heated mirrors, and head washer nozzles. The tilting & telescopic steering along with the fully adjustable seats make this car fit like a glove. The premium stereo is up there with high-end luxury models as well as the overall performance. The 200 h.p. VR6 runs perfect and with the paired smooth shifting 6-speed transmission, the drive is anything but dull. Congrats to making an affordable autobahn bred sports car obtainable by the working class.

7 VWs and I love each of them
By TheRaven on 05/29/10 11:17 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2004 GTI is number 7 on my list of VWs I have owned. Aside from the ridiculous place of the cup holders (which I am now over) I love all of this car. I have 76k on it now and it runs great. Everyone who complains about the quality of their VW does not follow the directions provided by VW. You must use full synthetic oil, preferably from the approved oil list from VW. You must do routine maintenance when it is supposed to be done. I always do my maintenance on time and I have had a variety of VWs go to nearly 300k miles. Treat the car nicely, drive it nicely, fix whatever breaks. If a person acts like they like the car and takes care of it, it will last.

Actually a Really Great Car
By JSC on 12/27/09 19:08 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car in 2007 at a VW dealership that had sold and serviced the car since new. It came to me with 24k miles, and I'm now unfortunately selling it (blame it on the economy) with 63k miles. I honestly have to say that I'm already regretting selling it - I love this car! It's a complete sleeper - it appears as a small econo-box to unsuspecting motorists, but it's really, really quick and can handle surprisingly well for a front-wheel drive car & the interior is up there with Audi/BMW/Mercedes/etc... Parts and labor charges at the dealer are up there also, it is a German car, so keep that in mind. If you cringe at $80 oil changes, do it yourself, or find a mechanic that does VW's.

Triumphant Pocket Rocket
By M on 10/30/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my GTI for right at 6 years now. Thus far I have only had one problem with it, and it was my fault. (I damage the clutch switch whilst I was installing an aftermarket sound system.) The car is quick - not fast, a title I reserve for vehicles that are actually fast, comfortable, and fun to drive. The leather seems to be of relatively high quality, and is quite supple. For an economical two door compact this one is great.

I love my 2004 GTI
By Steven A. Smith on 09/16/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my 2004 GTI as much as when I first bought it. I have owned it for almost five years and put almost 100000 miles on it. It has been in the shop twice for repairs, AC and blown cam gasket, It has never left me on the side of the road.

Great Car
By M NINE on 03/31/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is an amazing car if you want an affordable, convenient, all-purpose, luxurious daily driver that's fast enough to have some fun in. I bought it at 42k, have driven it on many road trips as well as LA daily traffic, which has brought me up to 59k in a year and a half.