Used 2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Hot-hatch, Cheap Speed, All kinda fun
By jwestie85

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'm only 27 yrs old, but have gone through cars like water because i suffer from, "Gotta have the next thing-itis", and yeah, it's terminal. But anywho, this little car has got to be one of the best values for any one who REALLY loves to drive, and drive fast. This car fells uber strong 1st through 3rd gear, and the higher gears aren't too shabby either. (In 3rd at 6500 RPM, you're doing 85mph) The gas mileage isn't great if you stay in it, but is capable of getting 26 mpg or so on interstate. The 6 spd manual is an absolute dream to drive, takes learning to drive it right, but when you and the car agree, it's a beautiful thing. Summary: The German's build driver's cars.

Interior design is incredible, Dash lights, Punchy V6, Handling.

Gas mileage could be improved, a few creaks and noises that are normal for a German made car.

Affordable Sports Luxury
By A VW to BMW owner

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is the nicest car I've owned and I have owned plenty of American as well as foreign cars. It's nice to have every amenity possible including a cold weather package that included heated leather seat, heated mirrors, and head washer nozzles. The tilting & telescopic steering along with the fully adjustable seats make this car fit like a glove. The premium stereo is up there with high-end luxury models as well as the overall performance. The 200 h.p. VR6 runs perfect and with the paired smooth shifting 6-speed transmission, the drive is anything but dull. Congrats to making an affordable autobahn bred sports car obtainable by the working class.

Having a fully loaded car with everything you can think of with the comfort and fun to match shows this car is second to none. It's truly amazing how much the car's construction resembles the quality on a Bentley; of which VW owns and intertwines throughout all of their brands.

I can't really expect anything else out of a car.

Actually a Really Great Car
By JSC

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car in 2007 at a VW dealership that had sold and serviced the car since new. It came to me with 24k miles, and I'm now unfortunately selling it (blame it on the economy) with 63k miles. I honestly have to say that I'm already regretting selling it - I love this car! It's a complete sleeper - it appears as a small econo-box to unsuspecting motorists, but it's really, really quick and can handle surprisingly well for a front-wheel drive car & the interior is up there with Audi/BMW/Mercedes/etc... Parts and labor charges at the dealer are up there also, it is a German car, so keep that in mind. If you cringe at $80 oil changes, do it yourself, or find a mechanic that does VW's.

* vr6 power * leather interior * incognito exterior

* bigger battery (Optima Yellow Top should be stock) * cheaper parts/maintenance

Triumphant Pocket Rocket
By M

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my GTI for right at 6 years now. Thus far I have only had one problem with it, and it was my fault. (I damage the clutch switch whilst I was installing an aftermarket sound system.) The car is quick - not fast, a title I reserve for vehicles that are actually fast, comfortable, and fun to drive. The leather seems to be of relatively high quality, and is quite supple. For an economical two door compact this one is great.

The auto-dimming rear mirror is so incredibly useful. I only notice it when I am driving a car that doesn't have that feature. Cup holder placement is nice. The fact that there are two sets of 6.5" component speakers associated with the sound system made the custom sound system easier to install.

Cooled seats would be a nice addition for the Florida heat. I rarely use the heated seats. A 3.5mm input jack for the sound system would be incredibly useful. The fuel cap tether broke fairly early on. It could be sturdier.

Great Car
By M NINE

2004 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is an amazing car if you want an affordable, convenient, all-purpose, luxurious daily driver that's fast enough to have some fun in. I bought it at 42k, have driven it on many road trips as well as LA daily traffic, which has brought me up to 59k in a year and a half.

The interior is quality, far nicer than anything in its class. Consider it an Audi from the inside.

Reliability is spotty. I bought it used with 42k and it needed an entirely new cluster, new seat belt airbag sensor, and had a broken rear window washer. At 54k the oil gauge broke and it now leaks oil, but nothing too serious.