Not bad, but not great
By Sean on
2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)
I owned my '03 VR6 GTI for just over 2 years, putting around 32K miles on it. Overall it's a fun car to drive, but I had quite a few quality issues, especially with the paint (pearl indigo blue). The VR6 has great low-end torque, but it is very heavy which is really noticeable when cornering at high speeds. The car handles fantastic at high speed on the highway, with very little cabin noise even at 85+ MPH. The Monsoon stereo system is fantastic, the heated seats are great because you can adjust the heating level, and the cruise control is much more user friendly than on other cars I have driven. Overall, it's a fun, versatile car that is a good deal for the price.
Favorite Features
- VR6 - Very fast! - Interior design - The black leather looks great with the blue and red console lighting. Seats are comfortable and heated leather is very well done. - Visibility is very good in this car. - Storage is great, I moved my apartment in this car. - 17 inch wheels are a good feature.
Suggested Improvements
- Cup holder over CD player is awful. - VR6 although powerful is too heavy for this car. - Paint job is sub-par. Paint scratches very easily and started to delaminate after 1 1/2 years. To their credit, VW agreed to repaint the car at no charge. - Quality in general not that great. Rattling, etc.