GTI 1.8t is smooth performer
By GTI Owner on
2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
Last car was 02 GT Mustang... was total loss in accident after only 9K miles... GTI was always interesting to me. (On the short list when I bought the stang) I've had this car for a couple of months and it is truly incredible. Build is great, performance is great. Love the 1.8t though wonder if VR6 would have been better choice for me... I love the tourque more than the speed. Anyway, love my 03 GTI and would reccommend to anyone. Despite the fact that this car has endeared itself to me, I do believe I will be replacing it with a Golf R32 in '04... that car has potential to be incredible!
Favorite Features
The 1.8t engine is surprisingly quick. It doesn't have the same 'slammer' feeling I had with the 'stang, but it is comparably as quick and so much smoother. I love both cars and they both perform well. It's a toss-up. the GTI is more refined but a bit 'squirrely' compared to the GT.
Suggested Improvements
There isn't much VW could do to improve on the 03 GTI. The shifter is a bit vague and the clutch feels a bit soft. You can't 'slam' through the gearbox in this car and I miss that! The mustang and GTI are very different, yet they both satisfy my desire for performance from a vehicle.