2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great Zip for the Dough
By BR26354 on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an awesome car for money! It such a hoot to drive. Plus, there is ample aftermarket opportunity to tune this machine for not alot of green. Not that you need to do much more. Maybe a chip ugrade for more power and suspension to reduce the body roll a litte more. I am very pleased with #2780.

Get up and Go
By Brown eyed girl on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I have number 1217 out of 4000. One of a thousand in Yellow. Have yet to see another yellow one out there. Love the looks I get from other drivers. Just had to have it after I saw it in the showroom.

I look forward to driving it every day!
By deepfry on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My decision to go from my long-time favorite brands Honda/Acura to VW is largely due to the fact that the quality / feature / price of Honda in the recent years simply can't match that of the now Brazil-made GTI. This car has plenty of torque to offer when accelerating despite of its relatively heavy chassis. However, with stock suspension it handles only adequately. I know it is not really fair to compare its handling with my modded 5th gen. Civic Si HB but I have a hard time getting used to the softer suspension and the annoying turbo lag. It just lacks the nimble, swift and responsive feeling I am used to.

Fun Car
By krauss on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just got the 5 speed 03' right before the 04's were coming out. Outfitted with leather, esp, 17" wheels, and luxury package. got it for 19,600 so i'm pretty pleased. first time buying a new car, but i found one of the last GTI's in California, and called them up and said 19,600 - i'll buy it right now. guess that works. no problems thus far, the clutch took some breaking in, but its smooth now. occasional rattle in the car, hard to keep black interior clean, but the car can move. make no mistake about it, they say it can take any gasoline, but only premium will make it behave like a GTI. sunroof is great, looking forward to driving it home after work.

Damn and only four thousand of 'em
By obvious on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

AWESOME!! No other word will aptly describe this car. Pull up to the light and give everyone a fleeting glimpse before I accelerate ...

excellent deal
By julianef on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has the right blend of practicality and performance. Wanted a car that will make my daily commute fun and confortable and so far has delivered all that flawlessly. Surely a BMW would be better but costs 10-15 grand more. While japanese cars have their own advantages, VW is more refined, and, if looking at quality/price ratio, VW tops its competition. I hope that VW is working to bring up the plants in Brazil and Mexico to its German counterparts standards as the quality issues still affect Golfs and especially Jettas available in America.

Excellent Ride!
By Victor Cortez on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love driving this car!

GTI - Fun, Fun, Fun
By wthomasoh on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the GTI because I was tired of driving around in large vehicles and it was the only car I found that fulfilled all of my requirements: Fun, zippy car to drive. Room for running kids to school. Room for tools in back. Practical for all year use. Under 25k. Good interior finish quality. I LOVE this car!

2003 vw gti
By blkvr6gti on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love my new GTI VR6 if the gas/mileage wasnt such a big factor i would drive it everywhere, all the time. the car drives sooo smooth and at 10,000 miles already after 8 months and still nothing wrong with the car. the car comes with everything you could ask for in a sporty vehicle. i love it i know u will too.

Don't buy the Turbo!!!
By juiceol on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in a 2001 Jetta 1.8T for a GTI VR6 no comparison!!The torque and power of the VR6 is just incredible. The car feels much bigger than it is. The GRUNTTT from the VR6 at around 3000 rpm is wonderfull. This is my 7th VW and they just keep getting better. NEVER a lack of power like the Turbo.