Used 2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

First in a Series
By Robr6

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I'll update as the miles pile up, currenlty have 320. This is the first week I've owned the car. It's not broken in yet. Thus far it handles well, the brakes are great and the low end performance of the VR6 is very strong and very smooth. The Climate control also works well. I have been back to the dealer once to have the balance adjustment nob on the radio replaced and to pick up the center head rest for the rear seats, which was not included when the car was delivered. The dealer made good on both the day after delivery. So far the car is a blast to drive with no real problems.

Favorite Features

Blue interior lights. Torque of the V6.

Suggested Improvements

Liven up the interior a bit more.

The Original Hot Hatch and It Rocks!!!!
By Erik B.

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm at 6,000 miles on my 2003 1.8t GTI and so far it's been a great ride. Fuel ecomony is good but does take a hit if you "drive" the car. But it's worth the hit trust me. I get a smile on my face every time I'm behind the wheel. The 1.8t engine is suberb and delivers plenty of power when needed. The car handles like a dream especially on the twisty roads here in New England. The Monsoon sound system is sounds awesome and delivers some serious bass for a factory stereo. Over all it's everything I expected!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

1.8t engine, the Monsoon Sound System, the storage system for the back headrests when the back seats are folded down, power mirros, blowng by Hondas on the road with a smile. The sound of the turbo suckin in the air!!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders that don't turn off the stereo when you hit a bump!!!! Other than that nothing.

Factory Fun
By Bad Andy

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car drives and handles great if you don't mind the stiffness in ride. Enough interior room to seat someone over six feet comfortably. Get up and go is wonderful at any speed, along with cornering at excessive speeds, tail end doesn't get light and slide all over. I have over nine thousand miles on it with a trip over three thousand miles and never got sick of the car. I had the stereo replaced because of a fault under warranty, but other than that, nothing mechanically wrong. Love the car and worth every penny.

Favorite Features

Exterior designs, Incredible braking power, Fun six-speed, Light clutch and pedals, Hugging seats, Handling!

Suggested Improvements

Center arm rest, Shorter distance in shifting-fifth gear seems far away from the driver, Plastic levers on the front seats for rear entrance seem cheap.

Ugliest car VW buids
By rollerskate

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

VR6 engine is this cars best asset. Ugly looking from the outside. Just tell yourself its a Jetta when you're in it driving.

Favorite Features

Best front seats of any VW. Most reliable and fun to drive engine VW builds.

Suggested Improvements

New look for front end. Better location for rear speakers. A little more width.

2003 VW Golf GTI 1.8T
By HDM

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had the Jetta 2.0L in 2000, then the 2001 4dr Golf 1.8T, and now thw 2003 Golf GTI 1.8T. The quality of these cars in excellent. There are no other cars in this class or price range that have this kind of durability and safety.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the engine. The 1.8T is a great engine. I tis very smooth and gives a lot of power.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats tend to make noise.I have had this with all 3 VW's and it seems to be par for the course. One Improvement that stands out is that they should have a 4dr GTI with the 1.8T and the 6cyl. I prefer a 4dr, but the good engines are only offered in the coupe.