2003 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Fun to drive, a pain to maintain
By GTI703 on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

It is fun and easy to drive in heavy DC traffic or on roadtrips. The car is very stable on the highway and it plows through winter weather. The biggest problem is the reliability and build quality which is horrible. The car squeaks and rattles like a '72 AMC Gremlin. The fuel system is a nightmare. My car has had constant prolems with fuel delivery. It was in the shop for nearly 3 weeks right after I bought it. When starting up, The gas revs and then the car stalls out. You have to pump the gas to keep it running The window regulator failed . It is under warranty but the dealer hasn't had one in for a month. .

Much bettern than Turbo
By mike kawasaki on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

The 2.8L engine revs up excellent in every gear. Had a test drive both Turbo and VR6, and I liked VR6 better because 6 manual shift was excacly cutting the butter feels.

excellent
By bnelz on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

great car, nice handling,superior appearance, nice wheels, good stereo system. I love this car and I will always stick with VW.

A South African perspective
By Yashin on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Much better than my Opel Kadett.

just the best, nothing comes close!!!
By christopher dubois on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

eat my dust! It's just a great car to drive on the summer only.(it only 1500 of them around you know)

GTI
By KEE on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Everything is great, fully loaded and features are excellent, only problem I've had so far ia a defective hood release

Poor man's Audi TT
By desertguy on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love everything about the car so far. A little disapointed that the spare is a 16" while wheels ar 17". Very comfortible, easy clutch, smooth trans.

Great Car
By MCHINxMD on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just got my car on new years eve 2002. man I love this car so much. The GTI 1.8t has lots of power, very agile handling and a very luxurious interior. My car in particular has every available package and the car is still reasonably priced around 22k. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a sporty yet luxurious 2 door.

Almost there
By BryanH on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is close to being very good...it mainly needs a suspension that can live up to expectations. It is too mushy to be any fun. The only other thing would be a 4 door GTI. The downside to VW is the dealerships and VWoA. The simple truth is they dont stand behind there cars and unless its a warranty repair you would be very well served to find a competant local shop and NEVER go to the dealerships. 2001 to 2003 models have severe coil pack failures and my car is one of 14 at the dealership with a failed ignition coil and it will be several weeks before I get a replacement. Pathetic!

2003 gti
By surfguy on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Mine is a 2003 GTI 1.8turbo. I hope I have the new metal window regulators, and the new "j" type coil packs. For people reading this if I have the two items listed above I would give this car a 10!. GTI 2002 and earlier have had so many issues with these two problems. Infact I believe VW is doing what they call "a silent recall" regarding these issues. But the good news is....even if it does break your still under warranty right ! Bad news is...will they have the part ? So my overall score would be a 8.5 . Fun to drive, good looks, handles good for stock, fast even un-chipped, and a new better longer warranty from vw starting for the 2002 and up modles.