2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
OWNED!!
By mark p on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

ok if your looking for a fast and luxurious car this is the car for you. looking for performance??? chip this baby and you will be close to putting 200 hp to the wheels. this thing is a tourque monster were talking 230 ft- pounds with the chip. with a cheap 500 dollar upgrade you will own any honda. i bought this car a year ago and i still get that grin on my face every time i start the engine. i have added an uber amount of aftermarket accessories 2 this thing. VW says drivers wanted and i say DRIVERS FOUND!!!

not bad
By william h on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

i have a 02 gti 1.8t.fun to drive,love to use the tip tranny.i know but wife doesnt' drive stick! i test drove the rsx, no thanks!i have had problems with the coils. 6000 miles 1st coils went. vw will not replace all coils the 1st time it happens! u have to wait until it happens again! great! lucky i have a great dealership,they replaced both coils in 45 min.car rattles to much!

A car you can live with.
By muffinman on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

It does everything a sports car should. The complete package!!! The bonus is the comfort, and storage. Although not the fastest or best handling its plenty quick and takes exit ramps at three time the recomended speed. Plus I have, rainsensing whipers,climate control, sunroof-leather seats a computer which calculates MPG, speed sensing 200 watt stereo, heated seats and a big old six cylinder with a 6 speed tranny.

One fun (and fast) box on wheels!
By TSL on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a blast to drive! If you prefer a cushy, no bumps, no effort type of drive, this car is not for you. If you love to drive a car for the shear enjoyment of driving, I think that you would be hard pressed to find a comparable car for the money. The handling is quick and precise, and the VR6 provides power whenever you need it. Some reviewers haven't liked the Monsoon sound system, but I definitely do. The jury is still out for me in terms of how well it will hold up, and I haven't been impressed by the service so far. I have to admit that I worried that it was assembled in Brazil, but so far, so good.

Shattered Dreams - Poor Reliability
By ahedin on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As a child I always dreamed of driving a VW Golf. However, my experience with my GTI has shattered my dreams. The car has been in the shop four times in less than one year. That is unacceptable, but VW does not care (Once the car is sold you will be lucky to get a sorry). The GTI feels faster than it is. The ride is harsh and it does not go through the corners well. The back seats still rattle and my fear is the catalytic converter will go next.

BEST CAR EVER
By swede3333 on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Germans at it again. Nothing beats german performance, quality, and reliability like a german car. If a tin box with a motor is what you are looking for, head to the japanese makets, if your looking for unreliability you can find those right here in America. Wouldn't buy any other car.

VW GTI 1.9 Turbo - 2002
By tynbeal on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car but have been disappointed that within the first year, the Coolant sensor and a part for the turbo had to be replaced. Some folks don't like the styling, but I agree with what someone said, "It's nerdy chic".

Great Car...Good Price
By zippdawg on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my GTI VR6 for about 6 months. I have had no problems EXCEPT for: The car was delivered with low coolant level. One morning my computer told me to stop engine and check coolant level. I added some water, problem solved. Once a pebble got lodged between my rear brake rotor and the heat shield and made a high pitched screeching noise. Once I went in reverse, it ejected the pebble, problem solved. Also, the dealership drilled holes in front bumper for lisence plate frame when I asked them not to.

'03 GTI 1.8T vs. ex'00 Jetta 1.8T
By exJetta1.8Towner on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Having sold my '00 Jetta 1.8T, I couldn't imagine what car would ever give me that same "whooosh" feeling for the same money. So with that in mind, I started the process looking for a new '03 Jetta 1.8T, having not yet driven a 1.8T GTI. Once round the block in the GTI and I was sold. With the 17" wheels/sport package, it handled so much better than my old Jetta. Slight roll, but way better. Huge improvement in the seat dept. The extra 30 HP doesn't hurt either. One of the main reasons I sold my Jetta was because the warranty was coming to an end...something I won't have to worry about for a while.

Such A Shame
By Miami Guy on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Owning this car is like a relationship with a hot, sexy, person who has a severe chronic disease with many symptoms which can appear at any time for any reason. The car has had the ENTIRE ENGINE replaced at 34k miles because of a problem with an oil leak. Before that transplant I had replaced the clutch at 18K, all the power windows have broken. I have a little pile of plastic peices that have fallen off the ashtrays, seats, and interior which I can't figure out where they're coming from but they all have the VW logo. Gunther Volkswagon is the best, like nurses in the cancer ward, they are very sypathetic and understanding. This car is Junk..