Used 2003 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

excellent deal
By julianef

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has the right blend of practicality and performance. Wanted a car that will make my daily commute fun and confortable and so far has delivered all that flawlessly. Surely a BMW would be better but costs 10-15 grand more. While japanese cars have their own advantages, VW is more refined, and, if looking at quality/price ratio, VW tops its competition. I hope that VW is working to bring up the plants in Brazil and Mexico to its German counterparts standards as the quality issues still affect Golfs and especially Jettas available in America.

Favorite Features

1.8T is an excellent powerplant for a car of this size. Torque. Interior fit and finish. Germanic driving feel. Hatchback design, also offered by Civic Si and Focus SVT, is more practical than the coupe styling of the other sporty cars.

Suggested Improvements

Seats, front and back, are less comfortable than Civics and Corollas. Stick is stiff, I miss my Civic's stick feel now that I have the torque and power. 4 door needed for GTI or a 1.8T sporty Golf version, this is not a baby friendly car at all. Regular fuel for 1.8T.

Excellent Ride!
By Victor Cortez

2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love driving this car!

GTI - Fun, Fun, Fun
By wthomasoh

2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the GTI because I was tired of driving around in large vehicles and it was the only car I found that fulfilled all of my requirements: Fun, zippy car to drive. Room for running kids to school. Room for tools in back. Practical for all year use. Under 25k. Good interior finish quality. I LOVE this car!

Favorite Features

Very quick and fun to drive. The interior is put together like a car of a much higher price tag.

Suggested Improvements

I really can't think of any. This is a great car for the money.

2003 vw gti
By blkvr6gti

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I love my new GTI VR6 if the gas/mileage wasnt such a big factor i would drive it everywhere, all the time. the car drives sooo smooth and at 10,000 miles already after 8 months and still nothing wrong with the car. the car comes with everything you could ask for in a sporty vehicle. i love it i know u will too.

Favorite Features

love the sunroof control. the windows up and down key control from outside driver door is a great feature for those hot beach days when u want to roll those windows down and get the heat out. also if u forget to close your sunroof all u have to do is insert the key and turn.

Suggested Improvements

love the Monsoon system but there right it does need more bass. also why should i have to go to a carshop for foglights? the clips in the armrest very cheap i have 3 friends with a golf, jetta and gti. all broken armrests.

Don't buy the Turbo!!!
By juiceol

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in a 2001 Jetta 1.8T for a GTI VR6 no comparison!!The torque and power of the VR6 is just incredible. The car feels much bigger than it is. The GRUNTTT from the VR6 at around 3000 rpm is wonderfull. This is my 7th VW and they just keep getting better. NEVER a lack of power like the Turbo.

Favorite Features

Great leather interior, heated seats, and FAST FAST FAST.

Suggested Improvements

Monsoon stereo stinks big time. Invest in better speakers.