Used 2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Just bought a '03 VW GTI VR6...
By VWLuv

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Well I just purchased a 2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 and I must say so far this is the best car I've ever owned. I just bought it Tuesday of this week and have only driven it for two days but before this car I was driving a 2000 VW Golf and other than the engine and the 6th gear it's pretty much the same car as I had before(with a bunch more power!!!). I honestly plan on keeping this car for a very long time like my Golf (which met it's untimely demise when a Harley ran a red light a totaled it). Excellent car all around.

Favorite feature so far would have to be the 2.8L engine and the 6th gear.

None that I can think of so far.

2002.5 GTI VR6 6 speed
By Damonspeedster

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Fun car. Bought it from VW in 2002 and have love every mile in it. I installed a set of Eibach sport srings shortly after purchase and that improved the handling and stance. Great gas mileage (if you're driving like Miss Daisy) about 29 mpg, however if you haven fun it drops quick. Lots of power and broad range of torque. Stereo sounds good for a stock setup. Interior in good, but the plastic or rubber on some of the panels are rubbing off. With some suspension mods and really good tires this car will handle better than anything out there. As far as the engine- Is good for front wheel drive. Rated at 201 hp stock. anything over 300 hp is too much for this car. TIRES SPIN

Engine, tranny, seats, reliable, after market parts and over all looks.

Interior panels, Better suspension off the lot...

My First Toy
By sickboy778

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

The car drives like something far more expensive. The ESP is nice when you need it, but if you wanna roll, turn it off and the car is a madman! it's easy to park and the extra room always comes in handy. This car is hot!

The motor! You will love the torque! The 6-speed manual transmission is a perfect combo for real drivers. I love the 17 inch wheels, leather seats, and steering wheel. I got into a nasty accident with my '02 Golf, which totaled it so, you can feel safe in this car. That probably is why it's so heavy.

The gas tank cover cheap! Also, it is hard to do basic maintenance on i.e. change the light bulbs, tune ups. Also, it thing loves to suck fuel.

Clean Lines Inside and Out
By Justin

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought my GTI two months ago. This is my first VW. The GTI is a pretty fun car to drive, it accelerates and shifts very smoothly. I love the design of the car's interior and the exterior. The lines are very clean and simple. It is a little too heavy and its handling is a bit iffy. It's not as fast as I thought it was going to be. It has a bad placement for the cup holder.

I love the climate control.

It needs a stronger motor or to shed some weight.

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Update - Don't buy a VW
By Rob6r

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car has given me more headaches than it is worth. My problems with it to date are as follows: 1-radio knob broke and fell off, headrests were missing upon delivery. 2-breaklights stopped working (dealer fixed) 3-front right wheel well fell out! 4-driver side seat was defective and replace 5-passenger seat was defective and replaced 6-on board computer display issues...dealer would not fix unless they saw it happening. 7-battery defective and replace at year two, 20,000 miles 8-dealer gave on computer display, replaced cluster with another yet another defective one 9-back for another gauge cluster... If you buy one, live close to the dealer, you'll be there a lot.

This car is at least fast and fun to drive...at that point, positive comments must end.

Build in some quality will you! I have never had so many issues with one car. The gas mileage is no where near the stated 21 city 31 highway. It's more like 15 city, 25 highway. Train your dealers to keep appointments and promised times for warrenty work completion.