2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Just bought a '03 VW GTI VR6...
By VWLuv on 10/22/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Well I just purchased a 2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 and I must say so far this is the best car I've ever owned. I just bought it Tuesday of this week and have only driven it for two days but before this car I was driving a 2000 VW Golf and other than the engine and the 6th gear it's pretty much the same car as I had before(with a bunch more power!!!). I honestly plan on keeping this car for a very long time like my Golf (which met it's untimely demise when a Harley ran a red light a totaled it). Excellent car all around.

2002.5 GTI VR6 6 speed
By Damonspeedster on 03/19/08 11:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Fun car. Bought it from VW in 2002 and have love every mile in it. I installed a set of Eibach sport srings shortly after purchase and that improved the handling and stance. Great gas mileage (if you're driving like Miss Daisy) about 29 mpg, however if you haven fun it drops quick. Lots of power and broad range of torque. Stereo sounds good for a stock setup. Interior in good, but the plastic or rubber on some of the panels are rubbing off. With some suspension mods and really good tires this car will handle better than anything out there. As far as the engine- Is good for front wheel drive. Rated at 201 hp stock. anything over 300 hp is too much for this car. TIRES SPIN

My First Toy
By sickboy778 on 10/25/06 13:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

The car drives like something far more expensive. The ESP is nice when you need it, but if you wanna roll, turn it off and the car is a madman! it's easy to park and the extra room always comes in handy. This car is hot!

Clean Lines Inside and Out
By Justin on 05/27/06 12:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought my GTI two months ago. This is my first VW. The GTI is a pretty fun car to drive, it accelerates and shifts very smoothly. I love the design of the car's interior and the exterior. The lines are very clean and simple. It is a little too heavy and its handling is a bit iffy. It's not as fast as I thought it was going to be. It has a bad placement for the cup holder.

2003 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Update - Don't buy a VW
By Rob6r on 11/14/05 12:52 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car has given me more headaches than it is worth. My problems with it to date are as follows: 1-radio knob broke and fell off, headrests were missing upon delivery. 2-breaklights stopped working (dealer fixed) 3-front right wheel well fell out! 4-driver side seat was defective and replace 5-passenger seat was defective and replaced 6-on board computer display issues...dealer would not fix unless they saw it happening. 7-battery defective and replace at year two, 20,000 miles 8-dealer gave on computer display, replaced cluster with another yet another defective one 9-back for another gauge cluster... If you buy one, live close to the dealer, you'll be there a lot.

Glad it is sold
By Don on 09/08/05 19:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I owned my GTI VR6 for three years. I was disappointed by the gearbox (the ratios are too close - rev limits too easily), but generally happy with engine/transmission. Stock tires were harsh and gave poor handling. Electronic gadgets mostly disappointing: one touch up/down windows frequently malfunctioned, auto-dimming mirror had ghost image of headlights, climate control hard to shut off, and the rain sensing wipers used the wrong interval in certain conditions. The audio system was much better than in my previous Passat though. The interior materials were of average quality (thin leather, cheasy plastic levers and knobs on seat break easily). The car was nimble with its short wheelbase, but the suspension was harsh and sloppy in manuevers. It rattled like mad.

Silver Bullet
By Darude1 on 06/21/05 12:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th VW (92 Corrado, 2 Jettas and my GTI). Only problem I've had was the coil Packs, no surprise. Previous owner only replaced 3 of the 6. Car has power whenever you need it. My Corrado (with a couple of mods) could do 140mph and keep pulling.

Not bad, but not great
By Sean on 06/01/05 13:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I owned my '03 VR6 GTI for just over 2 years, putting around 32K miles on it. Overall it's a fun car to drive, but I had quite a few quality issues, especially with the paint (pearl indigo blue). The VR6 has great low-end torque, but it is very heavy which is really noticeable when cornering at high speeds. The car handles fantastic at high speed on the highway, with very little cabin noise even at 85+ MPH. The Monsoon stereo system is fantastic, the heated seats are great because you can adjust the heating level, and the cruise control is much more user friendly than on other cars I have driven. Overall, it's a fun, versatile car that is a good deal for the price.

Decent for the price
By Rich on 12/05/04 15:41 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Good price on my VR6. Unlike the turbo (which I also owned) broad power range and decent torque. However, handling is pretty sloppy stock, with poor understeer. Suspension roll is also fairly iffy, and the stick linkage is loose/imprecise. Number one performance problem with GTIs is WEIGHT. They weigh too much for their size, and too much weight in the front. Just being realistic folks. That said, for the price it's a good performer, and it's the only performer of its class hatchback wise.

Extra Peppy Hatch
By _MK on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought the car a weekend ago, drove it 1500 miles back to where I live, from where I bought it, and I was easily the fastest car on the highway. Easily. I kept the gear in 6th and the car just went. The ride is pretty sporty. Coming from an Acura RL to this car, I felt a significant drop in ride comfort, particularly on the highway, but I gained a world in handling. Amazingly quick car. A ton of fun! Fuel economy is not quite what I hoped for, but I do have a heavy foot.

1 2 3 4 5 next »