2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
2003 vw gti 1.8t manual
By gti4 on 10/05/11 09:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have this car since 05 and now has 175k never had any issues if u take good care will take good care of you. this is very good quality vehicle best one so far i owned and i had few BMW's Mercedes but nothing compares to this baby.parts are same price as for any other vehicle if not cheaper now if u do some basic stuff your self will save you money.

sad volkswagen
By Drodgers on 01/19/10 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage, handles very well and has good power when its not in the shop. I've had the car about two years and now with about 118k miles on it I have replaced the clutch, transmission, alternator, AC compressor, brakes, all 4 ignition coils, catalytic converter and now it looks like the cars computer has gone bad. The engine will only idle. The gas pedal is useless and frankly so is the car. No more junkwagens for me.

the car that could
By colton on 04/26/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this car is amazing. i love it! its so much fun to drive. the only complaint i have is the interior panels paint rubs off. but other than that there's nothing 2 complain about. i installed a cold air intake, awe turbo back exhaust, neuspeed suspension, and its GIAC chipped. this car is fast, sexy, verrrrryy fun to drive and most importantly comfortable to drive in. taking a long trip in this is more than bearable but enjoyable with a 7" dvd display head unit in. in the end i guarantee you will fall in love with this car and it will surpass all of your expectations.

Love this car
By jwschmchr on 11/13/08 22:02 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new with 35 miles in 2003.I have since put about $15,000 worth of performance mods into this car. The build quality is excellent for a $25,000 car. I was lucky to be stationed in Germany for 2 years with this car. It drives like a dream on the autobahn and on the back roads. I lapped the Nurburgring in 9:18 my first lap on the track. With some work this car is easily as fast as a 911 carrera on the track.I have never had any major issues with anything breaking. Just do the scheduled maintenance and it runs like a top. After driving more $$ cars like the BMW M3, Mercedes AMG 55 and my 2000 740i sport the Golf GTi is as well built and as fun to drive as any other high $$ car.

Fun to drive
By Todd on 09/28/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car with 116500 three months ago, put 2000 on it. The car is very peppy with plenty of power, even in 5th going 60 mph, its got pickup without downshifting. When buying a VW with this many miles on it, check the records. See if the timing belt was done, if the clutch was done, and any other major repair work. VW Timing belts should be done by 105, silly German engineering needs to use timing chains... more reliable. The car is rated at 7.5 s 0-60, mine is stock and its around 5.5-6 s. Stock turbo is good quality, but can easily be bigger. The back of the engine compartment(where turbo is) has plenty of room for upgrade.

5 years and going
By joel on 06/01/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My gti is 5 years old and generally runs well and is reliable. I would buy another gti. However here is a list of my negatives or complaints, radio knobs have loosened or fallen off, radio has poor am reception antenna was replaced once already, two different sensors [computer chips] had to be replaced in one year, original tire were low quality [had an abnormal number of flats] changed tires 1 flat in four years. Cup holder bad place. Almost impossible to do your own oil change. These are the problems I have had. Most of which occurred in the last 2 and a half years. It is a great car and I love it but everyone should know what its weaknesses are.

No Issues
By Jr on 03/28/07 12:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI treated me very fair. Only one time did the check engine light come on. Some temp sensor was out, no biggie. I do recommend you get a CPO car for a longer warranty as they are a great deal from VW. Reason being that my car had a funny noise coming from the front suspension. Turned out it was the sway bar bushings (took a couple trips to figure this out). I was just glad I had the warranty in case that ever came up, I wouldn't have to get my hands dirty.

I love my Wolfgang
By The Bends on 11/04/06 22:28 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned Wolfgang now for about 6 months and love him dearly. Going from a '96 Maxima to an '03 GTI has been wonderful. I bought the car as a certified used vehicle and the warranty gives me peace of mind. I've had to drop him off for a couple check engine light things, but they were all under warranty. The true beauty of the GTI is driving it. It's literally something I look forward to doing.

Oh the GTI...Muaaah!
By Vampyre on 06/30/06 23:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It was love at first bite! As soon as I set eyes on the 2003 Volkswagen GTI, I was hooked! Although this vehicle was used, it looked as if it had just rolled off the show room floor. Its charcoal exterior...black leather interior...and five star rims...are flawless! I turned the key...music to my ears! The humming sound of that 1.8T engine was very inviting. I put it in first gear, and I knew this car was for me! With just a 4-cylinder engine, this car feels like a monster! It has fast acceleration, with more than enough torque to throw you head back in the seat! It is not what you'd expect out of a typical hatchback. If you looking for something between a sport and economy, this is your car! It is a true pleasure!

Awesome...Will be missed
By Jeremy on 06/03/06 16:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car...it has been nothing but fun and excitement. It gets great gas mileage yet has strong turbo power when needed. It is a real hoot to drive no matter where you are going or what traffic is doing. I am moving up to a BMW Z4 3.0si so this will need to get sold. I will miss it, but hopefully it can make someone else very happy!