2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
What a blast
By albatem on 08/01/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 20th Anniversary Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Very fun car to own! Great interior and exterior design with all the 20th ae bits. Seats are comfy, but can get hard on long trips, the turbo is fun, but does lag at times. Has some aftermarket goodies (chip, turbo-back exhaust, bov) which help it a bit. The jazzy blue is great and real head Turner. Got many compliments. Reliable car, but had an issue with 2nd gear, but may have been related to driving style. Mpg was okay 20 in city and 26 or so on hwy. Overall fun car less the transmission issue.

My Last vw
By murfsurf on 09/01/09 22:41 PM (PDT)

Far too many trips to the shop -- always something! Bought it because of a really good deal, I thought. Thought it would be economic to drive in town. Big mistake. Plus I get better mileage on the road in my Sedan Deville

You Will Love It
By PC2003 on 01/08/09 09:39 AM (PST)

Great car stock or with some mods. Have owned my 20th in Imola Yellow for well over a year now and am happy to say that it is my favorite car to drive. The steering is great the brakes are amazing. I have modded a little, full exhaust, konig wheels, Apr Cold air intake and ECU along with a greddy blowoff valve and stage 3 Clutch and flywheel. My favorite part is that in other cars that I have owned I have had to replace the block to run high boost not so here. Also, the 20th has the recaro seats, which I love and just feels lighter than my camaro and Audi S4, so if it comes to a great driving car with out any abnormal issues and can be used daily, this is the car for you... You will love it

just get one
By VDubber on 05/03/08 23:14 PM (PDT)

VW did well with the 20th AE GTI by raiding the Audi parts bin. It uses TT brakes, trans, and 1.8t engine. Simply the GTI that should have been produced in the first place. I dig the car tremendously, and has been every bit as entertaining as more expensive German sports cars that I've owned. Its a somewhat simple machine designed to simply be fast. Got mine in Black Magic Pearl, murdered out completely. It scares small children. You will not be disappointed.

MY 20th AE
By STATIC PSI on 03/29/08 12:18 PM (PDT)

I enjoy the car very much i did do the ko4 upgrade witch did make it faster and more enjoyable.. I think the ko4 should have been stock like the audi 225Q, stock handles ok.. braking power is great with the stock bigger brakes. great seats and body style..

2003 IY 20th GTI
By 20AE3600 on 12/01/07 08:11 AM (PST)

I am the original owner and have had the car for 4 years. In 4 yrs, it has only been back to the dealership twice for non-routine service. Once for a freak sunroof malfunction, and once for a brake light switch recall. All I do is drive it hard, service it regularly and enjoy my time in it. I have participated in autoX and track day events with it, with no problems to this point.

A Car Gone Bad
By Daniel on 02/08/07 10:51 AM (PST)

I bought this car with 10,500 miles on it in May of 2006. I have had it for ten months, and the AC compressor, air bag wiring harness, oil pump, front grill, equalizer buttons, and ash tray have all had to be replaced. Not only is this the worst car I have ever owned, I will never buy a VW again. That is the bottom line. It's a piece of junk. Do not buy one.

Awesome Vehicle
By GTIGermany on 12/28/06 07:19 AM (PST)

This vehicle is awesome, I have driven it almost 60,000 miles and have had very few problems. I have had gas mileage up to 30 mpg, but average 20 mpg. I now live in Germany and this car is a blast to drive on the Autobahn. The only problem I have had was recent and that was the water pump going out. It wasn't bad to replace.

The Best GTI Yet!
By dougmg on 12/22/06 11:56 AM (PST)

This is my third GTI after owning an '87 16V and then a '95 VR6. I feel all of my complaints with the other two were addressed with the Anniversary Edition. There is no more rolling through the curves, no more wobbly shifter, and a tighter suspension. This car is hot looking and fun to drive!

Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition
By c67302 on 04/23/06 19:35 PM (PDT)

The 20th Anniversary GTI is a pleasure to drive on long trips. The seats are very adjustable. I don't get tired of driving it on short trips either. The only thing I wished it had is a center arm rest. The performance is fantastic in every way. It handles like it's on rails. It can easily out accelerate most cars on the road today. All this, and it still gets 30 mpg on the highway.