Used 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Best Sports Car I Have Owned!
By David Hidalgo

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome car! As a car enthusiast but also a college student, my funds are not the highest. I use my GTI every single day. Either for my 60 mile commute to school and back. As well as for work. HAS NOT left me stranded once. MAKE SURE you change the timing belt, tensioner, water pump every 60,000 miles and your GTI will last extremely long. I meticulously take care of her and she has treated me extremely well. Even with my modifications with some spirited runs here and there. I have installed a 3 in downpipe, performance muffler, cold air intake, diverter valve, coilovers, reflashed the ECU with a stage 1 tune making the turbo push 23 psi. Making around 220hp/240tq now. Yet, she is still running good and hard. Extremely cheap to modify, reliable, great on gas, great looks, and luxurious compared to the competition. What else can you ask for! At 116,000 miles so far, everything has held up very well. I bought her at 112,000, just 4 months ago. Only complain I have is slight rattles and squeeks from the plastics by the ash tray, under the climate control. But it was expected from a 13 year old car with 116,000 miles. The best part is these cars are VERY AFFORDABLE! keep on dubbin people :)

2003 vw gti 1.8t manual
By gti4

i have this car since 05 and
now has 175k never had any issues if u take good care will take good care of you. this is very good quality vehicle best one so far i owned and i had few BMW's Mercedes but nothing compares to this baby.parts are same price as for any other vehicle if not cheaper now if u do some basic stuff your self will save you money.

gas mileage :)

sad volkswagen
By Drodgers

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is fun to drive. It gets good gas mileage, handles very well and has good power when its not in the shop. I've had the car about two years and now with about 118k miles on it I have replaced the clutch, transmission, alternator, AC compressor, brakes, all 4 ignition coils, catalytic converter and now it looks like the cars computer has gone bad. The engine will only idle. The gas pedal is useless and frankly so is the car. No more junkwagens for me.

Heated seats

set the car on fire and walk away.

the car that could
By colton

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this car is amazing. i love it! its so much fun to drive. the only complaint i have is the interior panels paint rubs off. but other than that there's nothing 2 complain about. i installed a cold air intake, awe turbo back exhaust, neuspeed suspension, and its GIAC chipped. this car is fast, sexy, verrrrryy fun to drive and most importantly comfortable to drive in. taking a long trip in this is more than bearable but enjoyable with a 7" dvd display head unit in. in the end i guarantee you will fall in love with this car and it will surpass all of your expectations.

1.8L turbo charged engine and handling. the sound of the turbo is like music to your ears when you get past 30,000 RPMs.

Cold air intake, turbo back exhaust, sport suspension, bigger tires and rims (18"), and a performance ecu. because it has a turbo, its incredibly easy to get hp out of.

Love this car
By jwschmchr

2003 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new with 35 miles in 2003.I have since put about $15,000 worth of performance mods into this car. The build quality is excellent for a $25,000 car. I was lucky to be stationed in Germany for 2 years with this car. It drives like a dream on the autobahn and on the back roads. I lapped the Nurburgring in 9:18 my first lap on the track. With some work this car is easily as fast as a 911 carrera on the track.I have never had any major issues with anything breaking. Just do the scheduled maintenance and it runs like a top. After driving more $$ cars like the BMW M3, Mercedes AMG 55 and my 2000 740i sport the Golf GTi is as well built and as fun to drive as any other high $$ car.

In stock trim I loved the handling and the power from the 1.8l turbo engine. Modified its even better.

I have one complaint and that is the seats are not supportive enough for at the limit driving.