2002 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: The best new car mod platform

2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

The best new car mod platform under 20K
By LotsABoost on

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went with the GTI over a WRX because aside from performance, I also wanted an understated exterior and some luxury inside. Chip it for $500 and you're over 200HP at the flyhweel. Seriously, even non- performance oriented people should do this. Air filter, turbo back exhaust, dv valve, inlet pipe, maybe some intercooler piping...about $2K installed for all of the above. Shocks+Springs for about $750 installed will satisfy most. Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport keep a near stock comfort level. A clutch and limited slip (awesome upgrade) for about $2K installed. Audi TT front brake upgrade (same as off the 337 model) for $550 installed.

Favorite Features

Everything. I run low 14/high 13 1/4 mile times in street trim (full interior, 93 octane gas, daily driver wheels+tires (not stock). All that coupled with great handling + braking and a luxury interior.

Suggested Improvements

Coilpacks and MAFS are flaky, but I've only had 1 coilpack go bad and the dealer fixed it under warranry even with my mods. Dealer mod friendlyness is variable. Oh, everyone with the 2002 Monsoon needs to get two wires switched...110% imrpovement in sound.