People mislead you
By namornik on
2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I have owned my Gti from 2002 and I feel for the performance the maintenance and repairs have been reasonable and minimal. First place in Europe the timing belt must be replaced in 6 years or the required mileage (I think 60,000). I read here someone complained they had to replace their belt sooner - time or mileage - the truth is in the details. I had to replace a few batteries, a water pump, and a clutch (I was racing on the autobahn). Water pumps are easily broken in any vehicle, my fault the clutch as I had tuning up in my VW and off I'd go after some European idiot in his underpowered Audi, BMW or Mercedes that came up and sat on my rear bumper. Eat my dust was my motto. A good auto.
Favorite Features
Fun Fun Fun, standard sun roof. Great stereo sound!
Suggested Improvements
Come with leather, I installed mine aftermarket and it's a BMW Z4 in a box, rear seat and better stereo distribution
By namornik
on 02/07/14 17:28 PM (PST)

I swear I thought I wrote this review. I have the same car, tuning and the same habit of burying some idiot in an underpowered Euro version of Audi, Mercedes or BMX who would come nearly to my rear bumper. I'd blow them off and they'd still not get it. I had a lot of fun with those arrogant idiots until I realized they were a waste of time and moved back to the US. I brought the VW Gti with me of course, why leave a bomb in the hands of terrorists! I blew through a clutch and otherwise had normal maintenance. I also replaced the timing belt at 6 years in accord with EU law. I found out in the US it's a 100,000 miles. I haven't got even 70,000 on it yet. I replaced the Stereo but tied into the premium sound system that came stock. I love it, love it, love it. It's a BMW Z4 in a box. I had the same thoughts as this review, so I guess it's all too obvious it's a fun auto to own.