I hate it that I love it!
By C. Putnam on
2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)
From the day I drove this car off the lot, I have been in love with it. Every time I walk up to it, I get a sense of excitement that I am about to drive it. When I get in and flip out my laser-cut switchblade key and turn on the engine the adrenaline really starts to pump...then the engine light comes on for the third time in six months. Okay...no big deal. I hit the road and feel like lowering the windows to feel the wind blow through my hair. The auto down/up feature is really cool. I push the button and the window drops off the lowering arm with a crash. That IS a big deal. These are just two examples of the nitpicky things that torment VW Golfs, Jettas and GTIs. It is now for sale.
Favorite Features
Looks great...inside and out. A lot of pep. Handles great. High quality interior. Not flashy but not cheap. Very likeable design. Auto up and down windows for both driver and passenger. Standard ABS works like a charm. Love the key/alarm/flip-out feature.
Suggested Improvements
Silly rubberized coating on plastic parts scratches off and looks crappy. Engine light really likes to come on a lot. Window have fallen down off the clips twice for each window. All work was covered under the warranty...what happens when the warranty runs out? $$$$$