2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR

2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By Joe on

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is the worse investment I have ever made. Bought it used in '05 with 18,000 miles on it for $18,500 and have put over $9,000 in it on maintenance. Currently it does not run because the car leaks water very badly through the ceiling. I had to replace both axels, the clutch after about 2,000 miles in my ownership, i had suspension problems, turbo/exhaust problems, leaking all over the ceiling. About 20 different hoses and gauges replaced, no exaggeration. It was on 2010's Consumer Reports worse car list. Timing belt was replaced a lot sooner than is should be replaced because of issues, the Catalytic Converter was replaced, all of this because of the cars build quality.

Favorite Features

I have no favorite features. This car is worth about $5,000 dollars now and I put about $9,000 in repairs and spent $18,500 for it. So you do the math.

Suggested Improvements

Everything needs to be improved. I feel like the Germans were short on money and decided to start putting toy parts in the cars.