Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

GTI Rocks!
By tx gti lover

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI! I bought it for the engine and hatchback and this car has never disappointed me. It has so many wonderful features and it's very user- friendly. My experience with VW service makes Mr. Goodwrench look like a hack. And the roadside assistance is outstanding! Rather than Joe's Haul-It, you get AAA when you buy a VW. After a year and a half, I'm still thrilled with my GTI - all my car-buying money will go to VW for as long as I buy cars.

The style (interior & exterior), color (bright green), airbags, sunroof, full- size spare and sound system.

Don't change a thing!

Best VW I have driven since 1978
By cumming hutch

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A,s a licensed driver for fifty years I have owned and driven cars built by GM,and Ford.I have rented late model Chryslers and Buicks for vacations (added space needed).There is no equal with VW,s turbo I cannot see where they could improve on.

Acceleration,handling,safety,warranty,er gnomics and service

None!!!

I love this car
By jannette

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my car new and I am still loving it today. I love the handeling and performance. People stop me all the time and ask me about it.

Performance, fun to drive, very user friendly. I like how solid the vehicle feels.

2002 GTI 1.8T
By GTI_4ceFed4

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car is very fun to drive, and has not presented me with any major problems what so ever. Engine is great to modify, with an engine chip, manual boost controller, diverter valve, and exhaust the car is quicker than most you'll see on the road. Plenty of aftermarket syling and suspension options as well.

The engine (or more specifically, the acceleration of...), paint (I have Indigo Blue Pearl), seats, exterior syling, wheel options (I have the 17" Monte Carlos), and the enthusiast following VWs have.

Issues with window regulators and coil packs should never have happened, tranny grinds and is genrally noisy, fuel economy is sporadic and rarely that great (I get 19-24 MPG)

Fun to drive
By frekt

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2002 GTI bought in Nov 01. Very excited to get this car. Definately fun to drive, 5 speed, 1.8T, sweeeet. 25000 miles on my Indigo Blue baby. Irritating things: Can't keep Indigo clean! Bird poop damages paint, cheap rubber coating on interior door handles peeling, rear speaker quit, center console latch broke, louvre under passenger headlight fell out, headlight replaced, replaced each window regulator at least three times, check engine light four times. By now I've owned the car 2 1/2 years and have had it at the dealer at least 10 times for problems above. All relatively minor problems but what a pain in the keester.

Car hauls ash! Still fun to drive. Sunroof. Reasonable gas mileage. Awesome looks. Despite all problems two different dealers fixed/refixed everything under warranty and were great overall.

Quality issues. Think I may have to go with a Japanese hybrid.