2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
You get what you pay for. An Ok vehicle
By a701440 on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Initially I liked the vehicle a lot. However after a while it developped a number of problems and needed 3 visits to the dealership for variouse non maintenance warranty items in the first year of ownership ($200-$400 each if out of warranty). Rattles are everywhere. VW dealerships have a very bad reputation in general. 1 week to get an appointment is considered excellent. So far the wehicle barely meets my expectations. Based on the service, reliability and rattles I will not buy a VW again. And to top it off I did not even mentioned the ignition coils debacle going on.

Best Buy
By Frans on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I went looking for a used BMW M3 or Audi S4 and was dissappointed by availability around $30-$33k. Walked into VW and saw the newest 200HP VR6 and immediately asked for a test drive. Sadly, only a 1.8L Turbo was available. Within 2 hours, I had signed to buy the next VR6 coming into the lot thinking, "well if the 1.8 hums, imagine how a v6 will perform!" I was not at all dissappointed by my decision especially considering I was ready to buy a used car and walked away with a brand new one.

The Coil Pack Story
By popecomazombie on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're looking to buy a Gti, or any VW or Audi with the 1.8t or VR6 motor, then read on. Perhaps by now you've heard about VW's little problem with their ignition coilpacks. Long story short, they used a third party manufacturer and got burned. Inferior parts, a HOWLING VW customer base, and not enough of them to fix the cars that are already out there. Beware, 9k on mine, in the shop 3x now, once for brake recall, once for alarm going off mysteriously at 3:00 am, and now once for 1 of 4 coilpacks. I wonder when the three other little ticking time bombs are going to go off ? For more info, go to the forums at www.vwvortex.com

Finally a fun GTI again............
By daequitz on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Never thought I'd own a 4 cylinder, but the stock 1.8T has every bit as much grunt as my VR6. This is my daily driver now. And with an upgraded performance chip - even more power on tap! Great brakes, gearing, seats, awesome wheels/tires, and suspension is just right. Bottom line, big bang for the buck. If you're looking for more bells and whistles, buy another model. This is akin to a drivers car.

fun to drive but will it last ?
By bingo baggins on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Okay, the car is a blast to drive, city or highway. Say goodbye to the Eclipses, will stay with the WRX. Even smoked an older Porsche. Transmission sucks, soft in the corners. Has been to the dealer for the defective ignition coil thang and a squeaky door. Good for trips to Home Depot as well as a jaunt down the Seward highway. Great in the snow and ice, I just hope this thing can hold up until I get it paid off !

By aliaso on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability 3 brake repairs now engine malfunctioning (possibly coil pack) trim rattles WJ ABS recall windows regulation intermediate problem avoid VW if need car everyday

337
By rugby on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is the best volkswagen ever built. i just bought a 2002 gti 337 and this car is great.

Kick *ss FUN
By tyster on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I trully love my 337. I've never had a car that was fun to drive; this one is. Very fun to pick up a friend and jump on the road. Curves are the best. Did have one problem; an ignition coil went out. The AAA roadside service towed it 15 miles to Pasadena and I got a loaner for the day. They fixed it at no expense, so I was happy. They did say that there was a bad batch of ignition coils, so it might happen again.

Piece of junk, Im going to trade this...
By SlyGuy on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My car has 12,000 miles and its sad its been in the shop 5 times 22,000 dollar car gti 1.8t fully loaded all the packages. Window fell in door, coil packs went(ignition), door seals leaked, monsoon radio stopped working, seats made cheap noises, and now its going back again for a loud tapping noise when its started. My tip dont buy one!!!!!!!!!! been in the shop 2 out of 6 months!!!!

Silver Bullet
By dartmthboy on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Having driven a 1997 Mits Eclipse GSX (AWD, 210hp, Turbo) for 5 years, I was a little skeptical about jumping to a FWD, 200hp, 6-cyl car. At the suggestion of a friend, I took the GTI VR6 for a test drive and was pleasantly surprised by the car's performance and the total VW experience. It far surpassed my experience with Mits, Subaru, and Mini Cooper. After 5 months, I have few if any complaints and the car gets more and more fun to drive. Overall: Super fun drive, great interior and exterior and overall great package at a great value. My biggest complaint with my Mits GSX was its reliability and so far my GTI has been A+.