Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Fun Car But.....
By Mike's GTI

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a very fun car to drive. The interior is well laid out and posh. With the 5-speed it's zippy and nimble. There is plenty of room for friends or a trip to local home improvement store. VW needs to improve the electronics in this car. Numerous sensor failures, all of the bulbs in the car have been replaced at least once and the Monsoon head unit shorted out. When the car is in the shop, it's not much fun.

Favorite Features

Leaving the SUVs behind when they're trying to bully their way in front of me. Just because it's small, doesn't mean it's slow.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the service. I'm tired of hearing 'I don't know' as an explanation for everything that has failed: brakes @ 14000 miles, oxygen sensor, turbo sensor, Monsoon head unit, battery @ 25 months, etc. I really like this car but it's going to be hard for me to convince my partner to buy another.

Great, But Not Perfect
By Lenny

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Sporty, but versatile; I can just throw my mountain bike inside. I have the 24V version with 200 HP and it's SWEET! Very torquey yet smooth; feels like a much bigger motor. ESP is great and has saved me many times as has the ABS. Stock suspension was way too mushy for me so I lowered the car with Eibach springs, and Koni Sport shocks. Now, handling is a match for the motor at the expense of ride comfort. Only complaints I have are interior squeaks and rattles, and the soft wheels. Already had to replace 2 because of potholes. My Monsoon has been great, but could use better bass.

Favorite Features

Motor, styling, hatchback, interior finish, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better bass response on Monsoon, suspension that matches the motor. Needs better mileage or more power for the given mileage.

The car that breaks down weekly
By felix11111

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It spends more time at the dealer than actually runs ;-(

Suggested Improvements

Stay away from VW

Should have bought another BMW
By jennmc3

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My husband has always loved Volkswagen, until I bought him his first american version. Major problems began at 3K miles and have continued ever since. Replaced all ignition coils (some of them twice) all before the recall, replaced secondary air pump 5 times in the last two years with intervals of 11, 9, 6, and 3 months apart, window clip recall, monsoon CD broken, seat handles break off, turn signal indicator continually falls out. $28,000 for a true lemon.

Favorite Features

Horsepower, when car is functioning.

Suggested Improvements

Volkswagen has taken too many shortcuts, plastic parts, cheap labor, buying parts from so many manufacturers without accountability and not trying to compensate with service, not standing behind product.

Vonderful
By canacsgti

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

(17in wheels, moonroof, sports cloth) Always wanted one, not disappointed. Excellent performance and handling. Makes for enjoyable commute and desire to take the back (mountain) roads to/from the office.

Favorite Features

T.U.R.B.O. Solid stance. Fun (really fun) to drive. Quality components. Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Build Quality - too many times in the shop for known issues (windows, coils). Squeeks & Rattles - had dash pulled w/in first few weeks to fix rattle. Chassis not rigid enough - Apparently 2005 model will be considerably stiffer.