2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
i love gti's
By vw on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i love this car

Fun to drive, but a few problems
By wiggum21 on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I fully enjoy my GTI when it doesn't have it's problems. All of the recall problems have occured.... window regs and ignition coils. I also had a faulty battery as well and currently dealing with a possible bearing probelm. I know cars have their problems, but when you pay the $$ you do not expect to have so many in under a year's time. Overall, the car is a blast, but I do not feel it has been very reliable to date. Hopefully the problems disappear and I can continue to blast around.

Fun car to own
By John Rupp on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is fast it handles like a go cart. It holds the road but will smoke the tires. When I first got the car I had just bought a Harley- Davidson sportster sport. At the time I could not decide which one was more fun to drive.One year later I still can't decide. So if your looking for a car that you will have fun driving the GTI is for you. I have the tritronic automatic 5 speed I love it.

Great Car!
By Swank on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great Car, Fun to Drive, Limited Edition, High Tuning Capability, Has all the extras, Very Satisfied Owner!!!

GTI 337
By Eric Kuhns on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

An awesome back-to basics, true GTI. Works as weekend autocross track day car (have set several FTD's over cars with nearly twice the HP), babyhauler (pretty roomy ofr it exterior size), and everday commuter. Comfy seat, decent mileage. Incredible brakes, excellent handling, very good power (extremely flexible motor). A ball to drive, anywhere.

337 Review
By Adam337 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

9000 miles, not a single problem. This special edition is powerful, and extremely fun to drive. This is how all of those people who modify their cars wish their end result was half as nice as this. This car is well designed. It makes you feel as though you own/drive a more expensive car. The euro design is very refreshing, considering all of the poor taste -japanese cars out there now.

Great Car!
By Max_Quebec on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm very satisfied about my GTI 1.8T 2002! Fun to drive, but too much rattle sound who comes from averywhere!.... I think volks should think to upgrade HP in his 1.8T to 225hp minimum! (in competition with subaru 2.5 RS)... The thing i more like in my GTI 1.8T is high torque when you push it'em over 5500 RPM!!! Whatta feeling!!

Quality a problem
By belliott77 on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my GTI new just over a year ago and was extremely happy with it for about 3 months and then I started getting rattles in the dash that the dealer has been unable to get fix, their attitude is, what did you expect... and now I am getting more rattles in the door panels. The quality just isn't what it should be. This is my 5th VW, but unfortunately it will be my last.

Mixed Feelings
By JPel on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the first car I ever purchased. I am a first year college student, so the 19 grand I dropped on my new GTI was a lot. I loved it until everything started to go wrong. I have had water in my brake lines (which froze so I could not stop or shift), a broken fuel pump, broken ABS module, broken window mechanism, broken clutch cable, broken dome light switch, and a problem with the door locks. I will never buy another VW unless the company restores my faith in a serious way.

The best Pocket Rocket.
By buckeye_in_CA on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have the late year 200-bhp 6-speed version. Well worth the wait. The ride is smooth, while the handling is very responsive; the acceleration is very good for the size of the engine. I've put 11,400 miles on in the past 7 months, and no faults yet. The interior is very comfortable for a sporty car (I'm 6'2", 225 lb). The cupholder could be in a mildly better position (right in front of the radio controls), but it's the best cupholder I've ever seen. Aside from that, the interior is designed for people who take driving very seriously. Complaints: 1. The car occasionally stalls when attempting a warm start. 2. The Monsoon Stereo sucks.