Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

2002 GTI 1.8T Tiptronic -- 41,000 miles.
By Gigi

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my GTI in 2004 with 22,000 miles on it. It is now at 41,000 miles. Issues: sunroof rails changed, new ECU programming, driver side passenger seat heat system replaced, airbag light went on - changed resistor in driver seat, arm rest latch snapped, and coils changed, coolant latch changed. Small issues that are annoying, but overall car is super fast and consistent: red line it all the time, mechanically super sound. These are small gremlins that once resolved give you no more headaches, Fortunately I got all of the issues described taken care of in first two months of ownership. Now I just do scheduled maintenance and fill up with gas and GO. For a beater car, this is not dissappointing at all, and did I say it is SO FAST.

The invisible hand pushing your chest in when the turbo kicks in. It is exhilirating, more fun than my friend's Z350 and bimmer 330. It has great trunk space (IKEA shopping is a breeze), is solid (I rear ended a cab and the bumper is still in one piece). My car has been abused and holds up well. It is surprising EXCELLENT in snow driving.

It has weak paint (bird poop scars) that is easy to scratch. For the price point and for my use the car rocks.

2002 GTI
By Jane

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 2002 GTI was my first new vehicle that wasn't American made. I drove a Suburban for years for business and finally got the opportunity to retire the "gas guzzler". I chose the VW GTI based on safety first of all, knowing I wanted a more efficient vehicle...little did I know it would develop into a total passionate love for the little car. The thing fits me like a glove, handles like a dream, and is SO much fun to drive. I got it all paid off a few months ago. I have my eyes on a new one should I ever decide I could bear to part with this one. My 27 year old son says HE MUST buy this one from me when and if I ever do.

I LOVE the indiglo dash lights, "clicky" turn signal, super turn ratio, great mpg for the oopmph, super headlights, seat height adjusts (perfect for tall drivers), excellent control on curvy roads, great AC / heat controls, cool sunroof, easy to use hatchback, and the logical placement of dials and switches.

It needs a better cup holder, better tires, to change the location of the plug for cell phone so it isn't in the ash tray, an added clip on the windshield at lower left to hold permits etc like Volvo has, a hill holder on the clutch like Subaru has, and an upgraded interior such as door handles made of a more durable material so they won't peel.

I hate it that I love it!
By C. Putnam

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

From the day I drove this car off the lot, I have been in love with it. Every time I walk up to it, I get a sense of excitement that I am about to drive it. When I get in and flip out my laser-cut switchblade key and turn on the engine the adrenaline really starts to pump...then the engine light comes on for the third time in six months. Okay...no big deal. I hit the road and feel like lowering the windows to feel the wind blow through my hair. The auto down/up feature is really cool. I push the button and the window drops off the lowering arm with a crash. That IS a big deal. These are just two examples of the nitpicky things that torment VW Golfs, Jettas and GTIs. It is now for sale.

Looks great...inside and out. A lot of pep. Handles great. High quality interior. Not flashy but not cheap. Very likeable design. Auto up and down windows for both driver and passenger. Standard ABS works like a charm. Love the key/alarm/flip-out feature.

Silly rubberized coating on plastic parts scratches off and looks crappy. Engine light really likes to come on a lot. Window have fallen down off the clips twice for each window. All work was covered under the warranty...what happens when the warranty runs out? $$$$$

VW makes fun cars
By pat

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2002 Volkswagen GTI is my second VW, my first being a 2000 Jetta... The progress between these vehicles is impressive to say the least. And going turbo is a lot of fun as well. My only beef with the car is that I had to make some modifications to get it where I wanted it to be. The European versions of this car are not restricted by strange safety and emission laws. So once I had this car chipped and tuned, changed the piping and suspension, I was extremely pleased. It rides wonderfully and I've never had to take her in for fixing, just slight improvements. If VW could find a way to lighten the vehicle and put better piping and supsension it from the factory, I think they'd sell more of these cars.

Turbo, heated seats, power sunroof, convenient hatch, blue gauges, red dash lights and accents, 17" factory rims, good head rooom/leg room, beautiful design, nice body.

Lower the ride and suspension, give it bigger piping and a non-restrictive ECU... all of these things are easy and affordable mods though.

So Disappointing - No Joke
By Michael

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought June 2002. Yes, it's refined inside, build quality above average & overall car is fun to drive. But reliability is worst I've experienced. My 4th car. 1. 3 separate power window probs that left me with window sunk in door. Fun in winter. NOT 2. 2 separate seat probs. 1st was when the seat actually moved beneath me with each turn. 2nd occurred when lever to raise/lower broke 3. Ignition Coils *UGH* 4. 4 separate coolant probs. 1 prob left me stranded on road (2 year old car at the time) 5. 1 dashboard lighting prob, many MIL engine light probs 6. Car *almost* failed start in 50 deg. weather. VW found no prob. Inexplicable. Just waiting for more... I'll never buy VW again...

Nicely refined inside. Very fun to drive.

Horrible reliability. Premium monsoon isn't all that premium sounding. Too bright, too muddy sounding. Did I say horrible reliability? Do not buy.