2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
All-In-One Package
By CJU on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been a great little car, despite a few minor problems(ignition coils, window brackets, radio replacement, & dash lights.) All of which were taken care of by the dealer. It is very functional, alot of room to haul people or cargo. Great handling, traction in snow, wet, & dry conditions. Decent MPG for the performance numbers. Safety and security features are of a caliber usually found on higher end vehicles. Improved warranty is also a plus.

200 HP V-6 is a winner
By trillium on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I kept waiting for "buyers regret" to set in and it hasn't. The torque the engine provides pulls all the way to redline and the six speed manual gives you all the choices you need to keep you entertained. The car has the added benefit of not attracting undue attention from the local police. Having ESP (stability control) instead of ASR (plain old traction control) is a big benefit for Minnesota winters.

Tired of problems
By wantagti on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In the 13 months since we bought the car, it's been in the shop 6 times, had to be towed there 3 times. Multiple recall parts, multiple times overheated, etc. etc. We are sick and tired of the unreliability, though we love its looks and how it drives.

GTI 337 owns ALL
By Gateway99vw on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Best VW ever made to date. Nuff said.

Nice GTI
By Tots on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have now 21000 miles on the car and I have had no major problems with the car. For 2002 there is a recall for wiring in the ABS system. What was scary is the window regulators. I had one glass fall into the door. I took it to the dealership and it was fixed with an updated kit free of charge and they went ahead and did it on the passenger's side. All that happened within the first 6 months of owning the car. I havent done anything to it since. The car is working great. Tires are stock michelin and are at half of their thread life. The only hard part about driving the car is keeping it under 60mph.

Exceeded nearly all my expectations
By Joe Freeman on 09/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Golf (including GTI) was the only car available in the US in early 2002 that was of interest to me. I chose the GTI mainly because of the 1.8T engine, since the Golf's 2.0 was mundane. I was very concerned about reliability and quality in general, as production of the Golf/GTI had just been moved to Brazil, but the GTI exceeded nearly all my expectations, including excellent build quality, fit and finish, and in 1.5 years and 18,000 miles, no significant defects had surfaced. The car's performance is excellent, as is comfort, but the 5-speed gearbox is rather crunchy and the car's handling is good though not quite what I had hoped for.

Pretty good!
By Harold on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is a blast to drive. I, too, like others had to deal with the recalls which is never fun. And the Monsoon radio has randomly quit working 4 times with in the first year (dealer says if it happens again they will install a new one and bill VW). So don't get the Monsoon. If you want sound just save your $$ and get an aftermarket one. All that being said this car is an absolute blast to drive. Period. It'll seat 4 adults reasonably comfortably and when the rear seats go down its amazing how much stuff can be crammed in there. Practicality and performance in one package.

Almost there
By clarkma5 on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I first got this car, it was a bit of a love-hate relationship. On one hand, I loved the engine and the interior, but I hated the transmission and the handling. Now that I've had this car for awhile I realize that the transmission does a decent job, and, despite the body roll, this thing sticks in corners quite well. The interior's just as good as day one, too, and the engine's still smooth and powerful. There were a couple squeaks and rattles in the first few months that have since disappeared. I got past the window reg and coilpack recalls without a hitch...overall, my thoughts on VW's reliability and dealer service is higher than most people's.

Nice ride!
By Devin Gabriel on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Previously I owned a 98 Jetta GLX VR6: the new A4 platform has signifigant improvements in quality, comfort, performance (handling/power), & such. It's been a blast to drive. I've had minor problems with the driver side window making too much noise while rolling up & down, but otherwise, I've been satisfied.

i love gti's
By vw on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

i love this car