2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
I hate it that I love it!
By C. Putnam on 05/29/05 03:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

From the day I drove this car off the lot, I have been in love with it. Every time I walk up to it, I get a sense of excitement that I am about to drive it. When I get in and flip out my laser-cut switchblade key and turn on the engine the adrenaline really starts to pump...then the engine light comes on for the third time in six months. Okay...no big deal. I hit the road and feel like lowering the windows to feel the wind blow through my hair. The auto down/up feature is really cool. I push the button and the window drops off the lowering arm with a crash. That IS a big deal. These are just two examples of the nitpicky things that torment VW Golfs, Jettas and GTIs. It is now for sale.

VW makes fun cars
By pat on 05/25/05 21:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2002 Volkswagen GTI is my second VW, my first being a 2000 Jetta... The progress between these vehicles is impressive to say the least. And going turbo is a lot of fun as well. My only beef with the car is that I had to make some modifications to get it where I wanted it to be. The European versions of this car are not restricted by strange safety and emission laws. So once I had this car chipped and tuned, changed the piping and suspension, I was extremely pleased. It rides wonderfully and I've never had to take her in for fixing, just slight improvements. If VW could find a way to lighten the vehicle and put better piping and supsension it from the factory, I think they'd sell more of these cars.

So Disappointing - No Joke
By Michael on 04/16/05 12:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought June 2002. Yes, it's refined inside, build quality above average & overall car is fun to drive. But reliability is worst I've experienced. My 4th car. 1. 3 separate power window probs that left me with window sunk in door. Fun in winter. NOT 2. 2 separate seat probs. 1st was when the seat actually moved beneath me with each turn. 2nd occurred when lever to raise/lower broke 3. Ignition Coils *UGH* 4. 4 separate coolant probs. 1 prob left me stranded on road (2 year old car at the time) 5. 1 dashboard lighting prob, many MIL engine light probs 6. Car *almost* failed start in 50 deg. weather. VW found no prob. Inexplicable. Just waiting for more... I'll never buy VW again...

Quirky but a blast to drive
By morndew on 04/12/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is VERY fun to drive. There are a couple spots in the power curve in which it accelerates like it has a nitrous tank. Floor it while doing 20 mph or 60 mph and you'll feel the giddyup. I have had to take the car back to the dealership twice, once to replace the window lifts, which left the window open on a cold November night miles from home. Not fun! There was also a recall on the ignition coil. On cold wet mornings I occasionally experience a reluctance from the motor to get going. This may be more ignition coil problems or something else, I don't know. But when you can drive twisty roads like you're in a go-kart, it's easy to forget the periodic trips to the shop.

Fun Car But.....
By Mike's GTI on 02/24/05 17:37 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a very fun car to drive. The interior is well laid out and posh. With the 5-speed it's zippy and nimble. There is plenty of room for friends or a trip to local home improvement store. VW needs to improve the electronics in this car. Numerous sensor failures, all of the bulbs in the car have been replaced at least once and the Monsoon head unit shorted out. When the car is in the shop, it's not much fun.

Great, But Not Perfect
By Lenny on 01/13/05 08:02 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Sporty, but versatile; I can just throw my mountain bike inside. I have the 24V version with 200 HP and it's SWEET! Very torquey yet smooth; feels like a much bigger motor. ESP is great and has saved me many times as has the ABS. Stock suspension was way too mushy for me so I lowered the car with Eibach springs, and Koni Sport shocks. Now, handling is a match for the motor at the expense of ride comfort. Only complaints I have are interior squeaks and rattles, and the soft wheels. Already had to replace 2 because of potholes. My Monsoon has been great, but could use better bass.

The car that breaks down weekly
By felix11111 on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It spends more time at the dealer than actually runs ;-(

Should have bought another BMW
By jennmc3 on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My husband has always loved Volkswagen, until I bought him his first american version. Major problems began at 3K miles and have continued ever since. Replaced all ignition coils (some of them twice) all before the recall, replaced secondary air pump 5 times in the last two years with intervals of 11, 9, 6, and 3 months apart, window clip recall, monsoon CD broken, seat handles break off, turn signal indicator continually falls out. $28,000 for a true lemon.

Vonderful
By canacsgti on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

(17in wheels, moonroof, sports cloth) Always wanted one, not disappointed. Excellent performance and handling. Makes for enjoyable commute and desire to take the back (mountain) roads to/from the office.

GTI Rocks!
By tx gti lover on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI! I bought it for the engine and hatchback and this car has never disappointed me. It has so many wonderful features and it's very user- friendly. My experience with VW service makes Mr. Goodwrench look like a hack. And the roadside assistance is outstanding! Rather than Joe's Haul-It, you get AAA when you buy a VW. After a year and a half, I'm still thrilled with my GTI - all my car-buying money will go to VW for as long as I buy cars.