Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

fun to drive but will it last ?
By bingo baggins

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Okay, the car is a blast to drive, city or highway. Say goodbye to the Eclipses, will stay with the WRX. Even smoked an older Porsche. Transmission sucks, soft in the corners. Has been to the dealer for the defective ignition coil thang and a squeaky door. Good for trips to Home Depot as well as a jaunt down the Seward highway. Great in the snow and ice, I just hope this thing can hold up until I get it paid off !

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Torquey, Low-Key, have kept it stock because it's already easy enough to get a speeding ticket in this thing.

Suggested Improvements

Questionable craftsmanship, will this hold up ? Although I don't exactly pound this thing, it seems like it needs special treatment. In Alaska, go with the WRX, altough kind of cheapish, they seem to hold up better than some of the 3-4 year old Golf's I see around.

By aliaso

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliability 3 brake repairs now engine malfunctioning (possibly coil pack) trim rattles WJ ABS recall windows regulation intermediate problem avoid VW if need car everyday

Suggested Improvements

use better quality parts pls , lousy VW , value is like 2/3 wht they try to charge

337
By rugby

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is the best volkswagen ever built. i just bought a 2002 gti 337 and this car is great.

Favorite Features

my feature is the 6 speed manual trans.

Suggested Improvements

more horse power, i felt that they should of put a vr6 than a 1.8t.

Kick *ss FUN
By tyster

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I trully love my 337. I've never had a car that was fun to drive; this one is. Very fun to pick up a friend and jump on the road. Curves are the best. Did have one problem; an ignition coil went out. The AAA roadside service towed it 15 miles to Pasadena and I got a loaner for the day. They fixed it at no expense, so I was happy. They did say that there was a bad batch of ignition coils, so it might happen again.

Favorite Features

18 18" wheeles, Ricarro seats.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holder so you can see the radio when it's open!!! Btw, the dealer told me it's in that lame position because it's a US add on. Guess the Europeans don't drink lattes...

Piece of junk, Im going to trade this...
By SlyGuy

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My car has 12,000 miles and its sad its been in the shop 5 times 22,000 dollar car gti 1.8t fully loaded all the packages. Window fell in door, coil packs went(ignition), door seals leaked, monsoon radio stopped working, seats made cheap noises, and now its going back again for a loud tapping noise when its started. My tip dont buy one!!!!!!!!!! been in the shop 2 out of 6 months!!!!

Favorite Features

Great looking car with pleanty of power to spare.

Suggested Improvements

mainly everything except the power, and styling. improve the depend ability. might as well be a hyundia!!!!!!!