2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
MY LITTLE GTI
By alan young on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

GREAT CAR I HAVE OWENED 6 NEW VW AND THIS ONE IS THE BEST OF ALL GREAT POWER AND GREAT GAS MILEAGE 32MPG.@85MPH TO WORK I YOU WANT A SMALL POCKET ROCKET THIS IS THE ONE TO GET.

sleeper
By bbbbb on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car runs like a dream this is my 4th GTI and best so far. Ample power, great fun factor

Smart mans BMW M3
By Steve S on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is pure German engineering. It feels, handles great. The 180hp 1.8T is the best motor I've driven. And Ive driven lots of sports cars. For the money You cant beat this car. I paid 18144 for a 2002 GTI base package. I comes loaded without adding the 3 available packages.

Incredible!
By clarkma5 on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTi is the best car ever. My aunt's BMW 325i doesn't even come close....it is way to numb and uninvolving, unlike my GTi, which begs to be tossed around corners, and feels like an part of yourself when you get into driving it. Build quality inside and out is perfect, and is supposedly better if the car is from Germany (Mine is Brazilian, although the drivetrain is from Germany). The engine is excellent; the turbo comes on just below 2000 RPM, which makes for quite a rush. The car gets very good mileage considering its power output. The suspension is a bit soft for my tastes, but I don't have the 17" wheels. Remember, the GTi is also veddy practical....5 adults and stuff, no prob.

Great Car
By Oliver on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I test drove many cars, including an RSX type S, a Celica GT-S, a Matrix, and Subaru WRX. Among all those, the GTI was the best bang for the buck. It has great performance and handles very nimbly with the 17" optional wheels. The fit and finish is above and beyond any of the vehicles I tested. Overall a very well crafted piece of machinery.

an awesome car to drive
By plikiti on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I will not trade my GTI for any car in this world..(actually yes i'm trading it for another GTI, the new GTI 337 25th year Special Edition.) It drives beautiful and, for beeing an sport car, the ride is awesome.

YOU GOTTA BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!
By br1an on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am having a great time driving this car..never been grocery shopping so many times in one day! I don't know what else to say except that this car has so much to offer. Compared to other cars, price wise, this car has it all. YOU HAVE TO SEE THE CAR IN PERSON to know what I mean. Very thoughtful layout.

Fun to Drive
By belliott77 on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had the car for 5 days already have 1200 miles on the car and am very happy with it. A couple of trips to the Big Bear, a local mountain resort, and one trip to Phoenix and back. This car is fun to drive. On the mountain roads it was great! Handling is terrific, feels like it is on rails, scared my wife a couple of times, but pushed the car nowhere close to the limit. The engine is silky smooth with a fairly broad powerband. Power comes on around 3000 rpm's, but unlike some cars I have driven with a high rpm powerband this one is not taxing to drive.

'02 Indigo Blue GTI 1.8T
By rfernatt on 03/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great looking car, especially with the very affordable 17" wheel package, and a blast to drive. My only complaints thus far are with a few interior squeaks and rattles. I guess I was expecting a little more quality control in this area. However, materials are top notch. There are some great design features such as the way the front seats move up and away for access to the rear seat - pretty cool! Then, there are some pretty poor design features - what were they thinking when they placed the cupholder to block the radio controls and drip liquid down the center stack?

Awesome Car
By Partyin247 on 03/11/02 01:28 AM (PST)

Best features for price.