2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Former Honda Man
By biker23nola on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Was looking for something to replace my worn out CRX. Looked at the new Si from Honda, cool shifting as smooth as butter. However, the GTI 337 performance, style, and interior quality is superior. Is this a fun car or what. The cool factor is way up there. I also got real lucky in obtaining this awesome ride. First to test drive, by chance and my mind was made up already. Will be a classic.

We'll See
By Jae on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2002 GTI fully loaded. Problems from the day one. The "Brake" light blinks with warning sound randomly. I first took it to Gilboy VW in Allentown didn't do anything and when I told them problem didn't go away they didn't even asked me to bring the car back. They really sucked in service. They even messed up my radio treble knob. it was keep coming off I told them to fix and all they did was glue them back together and not alighned. I took it to Lehigh Valley VW twice and first they topped off brake fluid. problem still persist.. Second time they adjusted parking brake switch. no It's been almost a week.. I'll have to see if the problme ever come back.

wow, I cant believe I got one
By dazednconfused on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Lady luck gave me a big fat kiss when I landed this puppy... Every dealer except Advantage VW were jacking up the price of the 337 by as much as 3000. I got it for the MSRP. They are selling just the contract to buy one on ebay for 6100! Anyways, it runs great as expected and it looks cool as heck, my only complaint is the turbo lag at low RPMS. I guess I could fix that with aftermarket stuff but I dont think I will mess with anything..Its great the way it is.

200HP love it
By RobbC on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The 200 Horsepower VR6 is great. The 6 spd manual seems easier to use and shift than a 5 spd I test drove. I bought my car with all the goodies. (It was the only one avail. in DC area at the time) This car has loads of personality and I love that. The car also gets 21 city and 30 Highway which I think is very good for a 6 cylinder.

Can't quit driving!
By besttoro on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car! Traded in a 98 Nissan Pathfinder for this car that fits my needs more. I got Tiptronic and luxury pkg, although I was planning on just buying basic + cold weather pkg- now I'm hooked on the sunroof. This car handles great. The quick pickup is something else- it's truly a pocket rocket! I test drove Acura RSX w/ manumatic trans, but that was boring. This car is so much fun to drive- it picks up my mood! Sure, the cup holder's in a stupid place (over stereo) but I forgive it since I like other things so much. You can buy a cupholder tray that fits in your armrest from VW accessories web site, which I promptly did :-)

I'm a believer....
By mtoddc on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Only considered the GTI 1.8T and RSX Type-S for my work car, LOVE both, but it came down to the VW having more equipment for $2K+ less. More airbags, bigger tires/rims, longer warranty, better sounding stereo (so sorry Bose), arm rest, cheaper to insure, more hatch/trunk space, etc. Wanted silver 5-speed with leather, but all have been sold in this region, had to settle for cloth and AT, but not disappointed, Tiptronic is a great compromise. I think the RSX is quicker off the line, but the 1.8T really pins you to your seat once it fires up. I think the GTI feels quicker than any of the Type-S's I drove. Both sweet cars, but VW is better for the $$$.

So far so good
By gticl on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car (my 5th VW, 2nd GTI) for a month. So far, only door panels have rattle noise sometimes. This car is almost perfect despite the noise.

Poor man's BMW
By bigerock on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I teetered back and forth between the BMW Z3, the AUDI TT, and others. I was going to put my money on the BMW, that is, until I drove this little number. I went to the dealership for a test drive, and went home with it that day. This car is so fun to drive. Handles very tight. It's definitely a German car. It performs almost everything you ask of it. Yeah, it's small, but I feel safe. It's got 6 airbags for gosh sake. The monsoon (upgraded) stereo blows. If you like listening to music, and consider yourself an audiophile, you're gonna have to get an aftermarket system. This car can also be electronically tuned to gain around 40 more horses and 70 more lb-ft of torque. That's a TON!

Who could ask for anything more?
By GTI in VA on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

German engineering. Luxurious interior, especially with leather trim. Controlled ride and comfortable seats make long-distance driving a pleasure. Ample power for even the most performance-oriented driver. Incredible gains possible with relatively inexpensive mods. Distinctive styling. Beautiful indigo instrument illumination. Availability of Tiptronic automatic for those who don't like stick. Many safety features.

Outstanding!
By WLSchroder on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have always liked VWs and this is my first. I am not sure what I was waiting for! Its quick, great on gas, has lots of room and looks great! To anybody in teh market for a "Hot Hatch", look no further! The Celica, RSX and Focus SVT don't have a chance!