Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

GTI Rocks!
By tx gti lover

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my GTI! I bought it for the engine and hatchback and this car has never disappointed me. It has so many wonderful features and it's very user- friendly. My experience with VW service makes Mr. Goodwrench look like a hack. And the roadside assistance is outstanding! Rather than Joe's Haul-It, you get AAA when you buy a VW. After a year and a half, I'm still thrilled with my GTI - all my car-buying money will go to VW for as long as I buy cars.

Favorite Features

The style (interior & exterior), color (bright green), airbags, sunroof, full- size spare and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Don't change a thing!

Amazing car, could be improved.
By anon.

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Really fun to drive. Best first car I could have asked for. A bit pricey for the build quality that is has. The clutch tore out at 35K and the glove box handle snapped off. Love the seats and the sunroof. Love the smooth shifting and the engine sound. Really quick. Nice handing and really nimble.

Favorite Features

Driving experience. Luxury features.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality.

2002 VW GTI
By Carlos Z.

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because of the exterior design and style but that's were it ends. This car was nothing but headaches and problems. I had problems with over heating, seat belt sensor, sunroof, alternator, battery, water pump, radio, ignition coils, engine hoses, coolant system, bad ECU, transmission, and thats just off the top of my head. Be ready to become best friends with your mechanic because you'll be seeing him and a check engine light on a lot. Not to mention that all VW parts are extremely expensive. Safe your money people and get your self a honda or toyota. I would never buy another VW again i have sold it since and moved on to a honda best move ever made.

Favorite Features

Really fun to drive around town or on the highway. The exterior design flows very nicely. The 1.8 turbo engine really kicks in when you need the power.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability!!!!!!!! The car is really nice but it would have been nice to actually drive it more often just then seeing it collect dust in the shop.

Great Car
By gtimike

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even compared to modern Toyotas and Hondas they just don't compare to the driving experience of my 2002 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T. I bought it used back in 2005 with 30k miles on it 11 years later and the car still holds it own. Sure I've had to do some maintenance on it but it was the usual stuff: Timing belt/Water pump at 60k, brakes at 90k, clutch at 100k. Parts of the interior has somewhat fallen apart due to my negligence but it still very practical. Cargo space is plentiful with the folding rear seats I can haul stuff in this little hatch: groceries, trees, furniture, you name it. All in all a great fun car that still holds its own despite it's age. I will be driving this car to the ground.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the build quality is questionable: for example my door handle inexplicably broke off one day, the door panel cloths came undone. Little things like this.

Mixed Feelings
By JPel

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the first car I ever purchased. I am a first year college student, so the 19 grand I dropped on my new GTI was a lot. I loved it until everything started to go wrong. I have had water in my brake lines (which froze so I could not stop or shift), a broken fuel pump, broken ABS module, broken window mechanism, broken clutch cable, broken dome light switch, and a problem with the door locks. I will never buy another VW unless the company restores my faith in a serious way.

Favorite Features

The acceleration and the shifting (untilI had problems with the clutch)

Suggested Improvements

Please, Volkswagen, I bought this car for quality... get some.