2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Best in its class
By Mohammad Bari on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have never seen a car in this class to have such stylish interior. It feel like you are in those expensive german cars. The performance is great and driving the car is so much fun and you will never get enough with this car. Once you experience its luxury its hard to go to other types of cars in its class.

Excellent so far
By rcwired on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my 2002 GTI just over 5 months now and must say I'm impressed. The only "problem" I have is the left tie rod popping as descibed by Russell. This car feels like a much more expensive car. I owned an Infiniti G20 before the GTI and must say the VW seems to be built just as well. We'll see how the GTI holds up over time. My G20 was still solid (no squeaks) after 125K miles. The power of the 1.8T engine is unbelievable. It's nice not to have to downshift to get in the power range - just step on it and it goes...FAST!

For young, for old and all others
By Genesis on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ihave had my fire red 1.8T GTI for about 4 months. I have my 17 inch rims, black interior with all possible options. Great handling, reliable and comfort. And on the top: people really tell me it looks great. For some reason this is an eye opener - I often relize people are checking my car out on the street. Ecellent value considering I paid 20,175 - the dealer shaved off for me almost 1800 - basically free sports package with 6-cd player.

The best new car mod platform under 20K
By LotsABoost on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went with the GTI over a WRX because aside from performance, I also wanted an understated exterior and some luxury inside. Chip it for $500 and you're over 200HP at the flyhweel. Seriously, even non- performance oriented people should do this. Air filter, turbo back exhaust, dv valve, inlet pipe, maybe some intercooler piping...about $2K installed for all of the above. Shocks+Springs for about $750 installed will satisfy most. Bilstein Sport/H&R Sport keep a near stock comfort level. A clutch and limited slip (awesome upgrade) for about $2K installed. Audi TT front brake upgrade (same as off the 337 model) for $550 installed.

02 GTI 1.8T
By billybob on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI comes standard with everything you need, although I got mine with the optional leather package and 17 in. wheels. I love the interior, especially the blue/red instrumentation. The GTI is also a bit of a sleeper, which I like. It seems that most drivers don't know about the GTI, and don't expect it to be as fast as it is. I must say that I love the whistling/whooshing sound of the turbo. The 1.8T is a great engine.

disappointing
By Russel on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I only have 1234 miles and I am already having problems. From day one I noticed that my driver's seat keeps reclining very slowly all by itself. I keep having to adjust it forward. I also have popping noise coming from my left tie rod when I am backing out of parking spots. I have a leak in the weatherstripping around my passenger door. And last but not least, my freakin window popped off of the track tonight. I would doubt that a Hyundai or a Daewoo would even have this much trouble in the first month. This truly breaks my heart, because I absolutely love this car. I pray that these are the only problems I have. We'll see...

Incredible! 337 is the GTI done right.
By Chad J on 06/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Loads of torque. Not like the RSX. I am not fond of spending the majority of time at 6000 rpm just to have 75% of the torque availible in the GTI at 1900 rpm. The 337 behaves as if it is an extension of your thoughts when driving it quickly through twisty uneven pavement. It tracks with the accuracy of a roller coaster. Road noise is limited even with the 225 40 18's and lowered suspension. Two words sum up how the 337 feels, Billet Aluminum. I am now a believer in German engineering.

24V 6-speed GTI
By GPS on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. Great power across the RPM range and a lot fun blasting through curvy country roads. I strongly sugest test driving one if you are thinking of an RSX, WRX, or Sentra Spec V (what I was deciding between).

BEST IN IT"S CLASS
By jwijono999 on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a Acura Integra LS 2dr 97 , for 5 years. I wanted to trade the car in for a car with more horses and that has a manual trans. My first choice was an Toyota Matrix XRS, Till I saw the car up close, I said " what the #$$#%!. M y friend suggested to try the VW 1.8T , The TURBO is amazing .. and it has 180 horses stock!!!!... This is a must for all!!!

Fun as He . ..heck
By Subash on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Great car, nice size and great to drive.