Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

GTI 337
By Eric Kuhns

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

An awesome back-to basics, true GTI. Works as weekend autocross track day car (have set several FTD's over cars with nearly twice the HP), babyhauler (pretty roomy ofr it exterior size), and everday commuter. Comfy seat, decent mileage. Incredible brakes, excellent handling, very good power (extremely flexible motor). A ball to drive, anywhere.

337 Review
By Adam337

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

9000 miles, not a single problem. This special edition is powerful, and extremely fun to drive. This is how all of those people who modify their cars wish their end result was half as nice as this. This car is well designed. It makes you feel as though you own/drive a more expensive car. The euro design is very refreshing, considering all of the poor taste -japanese cars out there now.

Brakes from the Audi TT. Turbo. 18" BBS Lightweight wheels. Michelin Pilot Sport Tires. Recaro Seats. Styling. 6-speed Enough said.

Add a Short throw shifter. Pour in some Mobil 1 5w40 after 4k miles. Enjoy!

Great Car!
By Max_Quebec

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm very satisfied about my GTI 1.8T 2002! Fun to drive, but too much rattle sound who comes from averywhere!.... I think volks should think to upgrade HP in his 1.8T to 225hp minimum! (in competition with subaru 2.5 RS)... The thing i more like in my GTI 1.8T is high torque when you push it'em over 5500 RPM!!! Whatta feeling!!

TURBO!...:) Sport seat, precison or the shifter, heated seat, heated mirror ASL system (great in sport driving to keep control)

Quality a problem
By belliott77

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my GTI new just over a year ago and was extremely happy with it for about 3 months and then I started getting rattles in the dash that the dealer has been unable to get fix, their attitude is, what did you expect... and now I am getting more rattles in the door panels. The quality just isn't what it should be. This is my 5th VW, but unfortunately it will be my last.

Zippy engine good handling

VW must improve quality if they expect to move up market.

Mixed Feelings
By JPel

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the first car I ever purchased. I am a first year college student, so the 19 grand I dropped on my new GTI was a lot. I loved it until everything started to go wrong. I have had water in my brake lines (which froze so I could not stop or shift), a broken fuel pump, broken ABS module, broken window mechanism, broken clutch cable, broken dome light switch, and a problem with the door locks. I will never buy another VW unless the company restores my faith in a serious way.

The acceleration and the shifting (untilI had problems with the clutch)

Please, Volkswagen, I bought this car for quality... get some.