Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Nice ride!
By Devin Gabriel

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Previously I owned a 98 Jetta GLX VR6: the new A4 platform has signifigant improvements in quality, comfort, performance (handling/power), & such. It's been a blast to drive. I've had minor problems with the driver side window making too much noise while rolling up & down, but otherwise, I've been satisfied.

Favorite Features

Good low end torque, suspension handles torque steer much better, nice 17" wheels, A/C & heat kick in very fast.

Suggested Improvements

VW should get rid of Monsoon and return to Bose! My 98 Jetta GLX's Bose system/speakers was far more powerful than the crappy 200W Monsoon system/speakers. Also, I miss having an additional cup holder for the back seats (as was in the A3 series).

i love gti's
By vw

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i love this car

Favorite Features

fast!

Suggested Improvements

make an engine that can handle 300 hp!

Fun to drive, but a few problems
By wiggum21

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I fully enjoy my GTI when it doesn't have it's problems. All of the recall problems have occured.... window regs and ignition coils. I also had a faulty battery as well and currently dealing with a possible bearing probelm. I know cars have their problems, but when you pay the $$ you do not expect to have so many in under a year's time. Overall, the car is a blast, but I do not feel it has been very reliable to date. Hopefully the problems disappear and I can continue to blast around.

Favorite Features

Fun to zip around in.

Suggested Improvements

Realiabity and more quality interior parts

Fun car to own
By John Rupp

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is fast it handles like a go cart. It holds the road but will smoke the tires. When I first got the car I had just bought a Harley- Davidson sportster sport. At the time I could not decide which one was more fun to drive.One year later I still can't decide. So if your looking for a car that you will have fun driving the GTI is for you. I have the tritronic automatic 5 speed I love it.

Favorite Features

The tritronic transmission I highly recomend. I always bought manuals before but this transmission was 1st seen in Porches and gives you the best of both automatic and manual transmissions.The stereo system is great too. Also the security and remote keyless locking systems are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Move cup holder away from the CD slot and change the volume nob so that its not the on -off switch, because alot of times when changing the volume you end up turning it off if you push the nob to hard

Great Car!
By Swank

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great Car, Fun to Drive, Limited Edition, High Tuning Capability, Has all the extras, Very Satisfied Owner!!!