2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
VW GTI 1.8T
By Alan Rhode on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a great car. It is very fun to drive and right now is the most fun car to drive under 20,000. The cup holders are in a wierd place (in the way of the radio), but that is about the only negative thing I can mention about this car. The turbo kicks in at 30 RPM and realy kicks you back in your seat. A must buy in 5 speed.

337 is worth the wait
By DiverDoc on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my 337 and immediately had to drive it from Florida to California. The car to say the least was a blast to drive. The gas mileage was awesome and the performance was well suited to 130mph+ excursions in the desert. The funny thing about this car was the amount of people that ask me about it. I would often come out of the gas station to see people looking at my car....Its kind of flattering.

A beautiful beast of a car...
By 9X on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is pretty much one of the more amazing vehicles I've driven. It's an attractively designed, well-modeled, performance oriented machine that's ridiculously fun to drive. To top it all off, it's boosted. Granted, the turbo isn't huge, but it feels like a kick in the pants and pushes you down the road like you wouldn't believe. There's not a rice- racer on the road that can take this car, stock. Too sweet. The only car that I've driven that surpasses this is the Audi S4, but I'm not sure the difference is worth another $20k. For a fun, safe, reliable, and above all boostable car, this is definitely worth a very long look.

vw turbo gti
By Emilo on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

every car manufacturer has its problems, the ones you will get with your volkswagen are not big enough to worry about, its a great car.

Turbo Love
By Biff Henderson on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you want to drive a stealthy car that blows the doors off of all civics, focuses, and celicas... this is the car for you! It has awesome utility + performance for a very reasonable price. I love this car!

I Love This Car
By GTIDriver on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't say enough about this car! It is pure driving pleasure for under 25K. It handles like a true sports car and when you hit the gas, watch out because you will redline FAST and the front wheel drive will pull you to one side if your not ready. Also, its fun to watch all those kids in souped-uo Civics drool! Get One!

GTI GLS
By Sudz on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For drivin' fast, you can't beat it, but sluggish in the corners and too many squeeks and rattles. Lots' of goodies, very comfortable ride. Easy to customize and bump up the power - large aftermarket following for bolt on performance.

337 Edition is for real
By Merlin on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I actually had to go to Vegas to get my 337 edition but it was WELL worth it. The extra 30 hp is a huge difference. The six speed manual is perfect and this car turns heads. The 18 wheels and 40 series tires grip the road like crazy and this thing is a little rocket. I love everything about this car, the recaro seats really hold you in place when cornering hard and this car loves to be pushed to it's limits. If you can get your hands on one I would suggest you do it.

yee-freakin'-ha!
By jazzypaul on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just took delivery of my GTI, and man, this thing is fun to drive. On top of it being very quick, it also stays glued to the road, and all of the controls are easy to figure out and easy to reach. On top of that, I'm a professional drummer, and even with as little as the car seems to be, I can fit my entire drumset in the car with ease. How many cars are that fun to drive AND are practical too? Not too many. Man I love this car...

Wow
By trillium on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The new VR-6 and the six speed manual is a dream combo. The Golf body makes it just dorky enough to have the cops ignore it.