Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

The Worst
By Jimmy

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Issues w/ terminal connections, burnt out fuse box on battery, always replacing head light/blinker and brake lights. Engine light always on, airbag light always on (had to replace seat belt buckle 4x's) newest addition, blown engine w/ 85k miles. Now replaced w/ rebuilt engine 2 weeks ago and engine light back on. Can you say lemon! Do not buy this car!

When I don't have to look at it

Give me my money back

Amazing car, could be improved.
By anon.

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Really fun to drive. Best first car I could have asked for. A bit pricey for the build quality that is has. The clutch tore out at 35K and the glove box handle snapped off. Love the seats and the sunroof. Love the smooth shifting and the engine sound. Really quick. Nice handing and really nimble.

Driving experience. Luxury features.

Build quality.

Love It
By 24vowner

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my GTI. I have one of the first 24V VR6 GTIs as it is a 2002.5 model. I agree that the suspension is a bit soft, but I had the dealer install Eibach springs within two months of owning it and that made a huge difference in the handling. I also installed a rear sway bar which helped a ton with the understeer. The car is rock stable at speeds of 85+ mph. I regularly get 30+ mpg on the highway if i stay under 80 mph. The VR6 rumble is music to my ears. After replacing the stock tires, the road noise went down and traction was less of a problem when getting on it. All the room in the back is great for carrying all sorts of stuff.

The engine, it just goes and the tranny is super smooth. I also like the safety features. I haven't had to use them yet, but six air bags in a car this small is a great idea. Also, the seats are nice

The stock tires are horrible and some better reliability would be nice. I've had the coil packs, sunroof, water pump, and power windows replaced under warranty and I had to pay for a new MAF and brake light switch when it was no longer under warranty. Also, I wish it was lighter.

I hate it that I love it!
By C. Putnam

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

From the day I drove this car off the lot, I have been in love with it. Every time I walk up to it, I get a sense of excitement that I am about to drive it. When I get in and flip out my laser-cut switchblade key and turn on the engine the adrenaline really starts to pump...then the engine light comes on for the third time in six months. Okay...no big deal. I hit the road and feel like lowering the windows to feel the wind blow through my hair. The auto down/up feature is really cool. I push the button and the window drops off the lowering arm with a crash. That IS a big deal. These are just two examples of the nitpicky things that torment VW Golfs, Jettas and GTIs. It is now for sale.

Looks great...inside and out. A lot of pep. Handles great. High quality interior. Not flashy but not cheap. Very likeable design. Auto up and down windows for both driver and passenger. Standard ABS works like a charm. Love the key/alarm/flip-out feature.

Silly rubberized coating on plastic parts scratches off and looks crappy. Engine light really likes to come on a lot. Window have fallen down off the clips twice for each window. All work was covered under the warranty...what happens when the warranty runs out? $$$$$

Great, But Not Perfect
By Lenny

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Sporty, but versatile; I can just throw my mountain bike inside. I have the 24V version with 200 HP and it's SWEET! Very torquey yet smooth; feels like a much bigger motor. ESP is great and has saved me many times as has the ABS. Stock suspension was way too mushy for me so I lowered the car with Eibach springs, and Koni Sport shocks. Now, handling is a match for the motor at the expense of ride comfort. Only complaints I have are interior squeaks and rattles, and the soft wheels. Already had to replace 2 because of potholes. My Monsoon has been great, but could use better bass.

Motor, styling, hatchback, interior finish, fun to drive.

Better bass response on Monsoon, suspension that matches the motor. Needs better mileage or more power for the given mileage.