2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
The Worst
By Jimmy on 08/31/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Issues w/ terminal connections, burnt out fuse box on battery, always replacing head light/blinker and brake lights. Engine light always on, airbag light always on (had to replace seat belt buckle 4x's) newest addition, blown engine w/ 85k miles. Now replaced w/ rebuilt engine 2 weeks ago and engine light back on. Can you say lemon! Do not buy this car!

Amazing car, could be improved.
By anon. on 11/19/07 22:05 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Really fun to drive. Best first car I could have asked for. A bit pricey for the build quality that is has. The clutch tore out at 35K and the glove box handle snapped off. Love the seats and the sunroof. Love the smooth shifting and the engine sound. Really quick. Nice handing and really nimble.

Love It
By 24vowner on 02/22/07 16:26 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my GTI. I have one of the first 24V VR6 GTIs as it is a 2002.5 model. I agree that the suspension is a bit soft, but I had the dealer install Eibach springs within two months of owning it and that made a huge difference in the handling. I also installed a rear sway bar which helped a ton with the understeer. The car is rock stable at speeds of 85+ mph. I regularly get 30+ mpg on the highway if i stay under 80 mph. The VR6 rumble is music to my ears. After replacing the stock tires, the road noise went down and traction was less of a problem when getting on it. All the room in the back is great for carrying all sorts of stuff.

I hate it that I love it!
By C. Putnam on 05/29/05 03:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

From the day I drove this car off the lot, I have been in love with it. Every time I walk up to it, I get a sense of excitement that I am about to drive it. When I get in and flip out my laser-cut switchblade key and turn on the engine the adrenaline really starts to pump...then the engine light comes on for the third time in six months. Okay...no big deal. I hit the road and feel like lowering the windows to feel the wind blow through my hair. The auto down/up feature is really cool. I push the button and the window drops off the lowering arm with a crash. That IS a big deal. These are just two examples of the nitpicky things that torment VW Golfs, Jettas and GTIs. It is now for sale.

Great, But Not Perfect
By Lenny on 01/13/05 08:02 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Sporty, but versatile; I can just throw my mountain bike inside. I have the 24V version with 200 HP and it's SWEET! Very torquey yet smooth; feels like a much bigger motor. ESP is great and has saved me many times as has the ABS. Stock suspension was way too mushy for me so I lowered the car with Eibach springs, and Koni Sport shocks. Now, handling is a match for the motor at the expense of ride comfort. Only complaints I have are interior squeaks and rattles, and the soft wheels. Already had to replace 2 because of potholes. My Monsoon has been great, but could use better bass.

The car that breaks down weekly
By felix11111 on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

It spends more time at the dealer than actually runs ;-(

Should have bought another BMW
By jennmc3 on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My husband has always loved Volkswagen, until I bought him his first american version. Major problems began at 3K miles and have continued ever since. Replaced all ignition coils (some of them twice) all before the recall, replaced secondary air pump 5 times in the last two years with intervals of 11, 9, 6, and 3 months apart, window clip recall, monsoon CD broken, seat handles break off, turn signal indicator continually falls out. $28,000 for a true lemon.

200 HP V-6 is a winner
By trillium on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I kept waiting for "buyers regret" to set in and it hasn't. The torque the engine provides pulls all the way to redline and the six speed manual gives you all the choices you need to keep you entertained. The car has the added benefit of not attracting undue attention from the local police. Having ESP (stability control) instead of ASR (plain old traction control) is a big benefit for Minnesota winters.

Nice GTI
By Tots on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have now 21000 miles on the car and I have had no major problems with the car. For 2002 there is a recall for wiring in the ABS system. What was scary is the window regulators. I had one glass fall into the door. I took it to the dealership and it was fixed with an updated kit free of charge and they went ahead and did it on the passenger's side. All that happened within the first 6 months of owning the car. I havent done anything to it since. The car is working great. Tires are stock michelin and are at half of their thread life. The only hard part about driving the car is keeping it under 60mph.

Nice ride!
By Devin Gabriel on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Previously I owned a 98 Jetta GLX VR6: the new A4 platform has signifigant improvements in quality, comfort, performance (handling/power), & such. It's been a blast to drive. I've had minor problems with the driver side window making too much noise while rolling up & down, but otherwise, I've been satisfied.