2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great Car
By gtimike on 06/12/14 15:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even compared to modern Toyotas and Hondas they just don't compare to the driving experience of my 2002 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T. I bought it used back in 2005 with 30k miles on it 11 years later and the car still holds it own. Sure I've had to do some maintenance on it but it was the usual stuff: Timing belt/Water pump at 60k, brakes at 90k, clutch at 100k. Parts of the interior has somewhat fallen apart due to my negligence but it still very practical. Cargo space is plentiful with the folding rear seats I can haul stuff in this little hatch: groceries, trees, furniture, you name it. All in all a great fun car that still holds its own despite it's age. I will be driving this car to the ground.

Purchase with EXTREME caution
By shannostein on 12/03/12 01:09 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 GTI back in 2006 with 39k miles on it. I decided, despite the car having a MIL light on (check engine light) that it would be worth the purchase because of its factory warranty.. This car has been an absolute nightmare starting within the first 2 weeks of ownership. List of things I have replaced over the years: MAF sensor, clutch (at 40k), 3 (YES THREE) throttle bodies of the course of 6 years, Coolant temp. sensor, hazard switch, ignition switch, two sets of coil packs, large engine cooling fan, upper and lower control arm bushings, struts are bad (at 130k miles..) the list goes on!! Know what you're getting into with this model year! I still have this car though.

People mislead you
By namornik on 01/22/12 06:11 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my Gti from 2002 and I feel for the performance the maintenance and repairs have been reasonable and minimal. First place in Europe the timing belt must be replaced in 6 years or the required mileage (I think 60,000). I read here someone complained they had to replace their belt sooner - time or mileage - the truth is in the details. I had to replace a few batteries, a water pump, and a clutch (I was racing on the autobahn). Water pumps are easily broken in any vehicle, my fault the clutch as I had tuning up in my VW and off I'd go after some European idiot in his underpowered Audi, BMW or Mercedes that came up and sat on my rear bumper. Eat my dust was my motto. A good auto.

The original pocket rocket!
By drblptq on 03/26/11 10:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2001 as a 2002 model. This was my second GTI, the first a 1985 built in Westmoreland PA. I bought it to rekindle some memories of my youth I suppose, and was a wonderful toy! It was black, tan leather, 5 speed stick, sunroof, monsoon sound system, 17 alloys! I babied this car and only drove it on the weekends, and it was a blast. There were some recalls, the coils and the power window lifters, but all handled under warranty.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By Joe on 03/20/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is the worse investment I have ever made. Bought it used in '05 with 18,000 miles on it for $18,500 and have put over $9,000 in it on maintenance. Currently it does not run because the car leaks water very badly through the ceiling. I had to replace both axels, the clutch after about 2,000 miles in my ownership, i had suspension problems, turbo/exhaust problems, leaking all over the ceiling. About 20 different hoses and gauges replaced, no exaggeration. It was on 2010's Consumer Reports worse car list. Timing belt was replaced a lot sooner than is should be replaced because of issues, the Catalytic Converter was replaced, all of this because of the cars build quality.

Dont buy one
By Gary on 02/26/10 09:43 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever had. It stays tore up, clutch 3 times,Turbo went out 44000 miles,new water pump,you name it. This car will break the bank. STAY AWAY!!!

Stay away
By Stay away on 02/12/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is junk. Brakes, clutch, axles, water leaks, you name it. I am going to trade it for Nissan or Toyota.

1.8t speed super awesome car
By Scott j on 09/21/08 21:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I picked up this car used from a good friend of mine. This car is SUPER fun to drive. The car corners excellent. Very few mods can make it a very fast little car. Many mods are available for them as well. Such as interior, mine has imported blue Recaro GTI seats they fit right in the car. The car looks extremely sporty inside and out. Fuel economy is excellent as well if the car is driven right it'll get above 30 MPG. The blue and red gauges are very very attractive looking as well and give the car and upper class feel.

VW Has Lost Its Way
By Sean on 02/20/07 13:03 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my first VW for $300 in college. I was the third owner of 1990 Golf with 164,000 miles. I drove it on the highway while red-lining, never changed the oil, rode the clutch and NEVER had problems. I got nervous around 180,000 miles and changed the clutch. The mechanic said the clutch still had about 2,000 miles left! Fast forward to 2002: I purchased a new 2002 GTI 1.8T in August. Before the end of 2003 I was in the dealer countless times. There were three separate recalls plus countless other problems (ignition coils, dead battery, two broken control arms, driver-side window fell into the door panel). I love the car; hate the reliability.

Where To Start With the Problems
By rocky on 10/02/06 21:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I would have to disagree about the reliablity of the GTI. The first day I got it, the airbag light was on. They said it was the sensor in the seatbelt buckle. This was service trip #1. Then my GTI died on me three times due to the terminal connecting to the battery, trip #2. Then my car started to overheat on two seperate occasions. The dealer said it was a burnt fuse box that was above the battery that caused my fan to not kick in (good place to put a fuse huh). Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that the moonroof sqeaks and the turbo lags. If you are ever to listen to a stranger in your life, listen to me. DONT BUY THIS CAR! You will spend more time getting to know your mechanic than enjoing a turbo car.