Used 2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

The Best/Worst Girlfriend You'll Ever Have
By lehmann108

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 VW GTI 1.8L turbo used with 50,000 mile on it. It is a rocket ship of a car: fast, nimble, quick as a cat. This car is a blast to drive. You can mod the car to make it even faster raising the HP from 180 to 240 with a new ECU chip. But, all this being said, this car is the best/worst car you'll ever drive for this price. It requires dedicated maintenance and $'s to keep it in top shape. You'll grown as you pay the $1500 shop bill every 6 months, but when you rocket out of the parking lot you'll say, "Yeah baby!" The best/worst girlfriend you ever will have! She'll rock your world and drain your wallet at the same time. And you'll just smile.

Favorite Features

Body design. Leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger turbo. Independent rear suspension.

Great Car
By gtimike

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even compared to modern Toyotas and Hondas they just don't compare to the driving experience of my 2002 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T. I bought it used back in 2005 with 30k miles on it 11 years later and the car still holds it own. Sure I've had to do some maintenance on it but it was the usual stuff: Timing belt/Water pump at 60k, brakes at 90k, clutch at 100k. Parts of the interior has somewhat fallen apart due to my negligence but it still very practical. Cargo space is plentiful with the folding rear seats I can haul stuff in this little hatch: groceries, trees, furniture, you name it. All in all a great fun car that still holds its own despite it's age. I will be driving this car to the ground.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the build quality is questionable: for example my door handle inexplicably broke off one day, the door panel cloths came undone. Little things like this.

Purchase with EXTREME caution
By shannostein

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 GTI back in 2006 with 39k miles on it. I decided, despite the car having a MIL light on (check engine light) that it would be worth the purchase because of its factory warranty.. This car has been an absolute nightmare starting within the first 2 weeks of ownership. List of things I have replaced over the years: MAF sensor, clutch (at 40k), 3 (YES THREE) throttle bodies of the course of 6 years, Coolant temp. sensor, hazard switch, ignition switch, two sets of coil packs, large engine cooling fan, upper and lower control arm bushings, struts are bad (at 130k miles..) the list goes on!! Know what you're getting into with this model year! I still have this car though.

Favorite Features

I love my car despite all the money put into it and issues I have had. 90% of my car troubles were covered by warranty. The car is fun to drive and especially fun to modify! Silly love, but the red and black interior is my favorite feature!

People mislead you
By namornik

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my Gti from 2002 and I feel for the performance the maintenance and repairs have been reasonable and minimal. First place in Europe the timing belt must be replaced in 6 years or the required mileage (I think 60,000). I read here someone complained they had to replace their belt sooner - time or mileage - the truth is in the details. I had to replace a few batteries, a water pump, and a clutch (I was racing on the autobahn). Water pumps are easily broken in any vehicle, my fault the clutch as I had tuning up in my VW and off I'd go after some European idiot in his underpowered Audi, BMW or Mercedes that came up and sat on my rear bumper. Eat my dust was my motto. A good auto.

Favorite Features

Fun Fun Fun, standard sun roof. Great stereo sound!

Suggested Improvements

Come with leather, I installed mine aftermarket and it's a BMW Z4 in a box, rear seat and better stereo distribution

The original pocket rocket!
By drblptq

2002 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2001 as a 2002 model. This was my second GTI, the first a 1985 built in Westmoreland PA. I bought it to rekindle some memories of my youth I suppose, and was a wonderful toy! It was black, tan leather, 5 speed stick, sunroof, monsoon sound system, 17 alloys! I babied this car and only drove it on the weekends, and it was a blast. There were some recalls, the coils and the power window lifters, but all handled under warranty.

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, albeit some torque steer, pulled nicely from 1st gear to 5th. Spin the wheels. Nothing better than a sunny day, and a pack of GTI's racing through the twisties!

Suggested Improvements

Horrible tan leather, hard to keep clean, and of poor quality. If I did it again I would buy black!