2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
The Best/Worst Girlfriend You'll Ever Have
By lehmann108 on 08/25/14 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 VW GTI 1.8L turbo used with 50,000 mile on it. It is a rocket ship of a car: fast, nimble, quick as a cat. This car is a blast to drive. You can mod the car to make it even faster raising the HP from 180 to 240 with a new ECU chip. But, all this being said, this car is the best/worst car you'll ever drive for this price. It requires dedicated maintenance and $'s to keep it in top shape. You'll grown as you pay the $1500 shop bill every 6 months, but when you rocket out of the parking lot you'll say, "Yeah baby!" The best/worst girlfriend you ever will have! She'll rock your world and drain your wallet at the same time. And you'll just smile.

Great Car
By gtimike on 06/12/14 15:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Even compared to modern Toyotas and Hondas they just don't compare to the driving experience of my 2002 Volkswagen Golf 1.8T. I bought it used back in 2005 with 30k miles on it 11 years later and the car still holds it own. Sure I've had to do some maintenance on it but it was the usual stuff: Timing belt/Water pump at 60k, brakes at 90k, clutch at 100k. Parts of the interior has somewhat fallen apart due to my negligence but it still very practical. Cargo space is plentiful with the folding rear seats I can haul stuff in this little hatch: groceries, trees, furniture, you name it. All in all a great fun car that still holds its own despite it's age. I will be driving this car to the ground.

Purchase with EXTREME caution
By shannostein on 12/03/12 01:09 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 GTI back in 2006 with 39k miles on it. I decided, despite the car having a MIL light on (check engine light) that it would be worth the purchase because of its factory warranty.. This car has been an absolute nightmare starting within the first 2 weeks of ownership. List of things I have replaced over the years: MAF sensor, clutch (at 40k), 3 (YES THREE) throttle bodies of the course of 6 years, Coolant temp. sensor, hazard switch, ignition switch, two sets of coil packs, large engine cooling fan, upper and lower control arm bushings, struts are bad (at 130k miles..) the list goes on!! Know what you're getting into with this model year! I still have this car though.

People mislead you
By namornik on 01/22/12 06:11 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my Gti from 2002 and I feel for the performance the maintenance and repairs have been reasonable and minimal. First place in Europe the timing belt must be replaced in 6 years or the required mileage (I think 60,000). I read here someone complained they had to replace their belt sooner - time or mileage - the truth is in the details. I had to replace a few batteries, a water pump, and a clutch (I was racing on the autobahn). Water pumps are easily broken in any vehicle, my fault the clutch as I had tuning up in my VW and off I'd go after some European idiot in his underpowered Audi, BMW or Mercedes that came up and sat on my rear bumper. Eat my dust was my motto. A good auto.

The original pocket rocket!
By drblptq on 03/26/11 10:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in late 2001 as a 2002 model. This was my second GTI, the first a 1985 built in Westmoreland PA. I bought it to rekindle some memories of my youth I suppose, and was a wonderful toy! It was black, tan leather, 5 speed stick, sunroof, monsoon sound system, 17 alloys! I babied this car and only drove it on the weekends, and it was a blast. There were some recalls, the coils and the power window lifters, but all handled under warranty.

2002 VW GTI
By Carlos Z. on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because of the exterior design and style but that's were it ends. This car was nothing but headaches and problems. I had problems with over heating, seat belt sensor, sunroof, alternator, battery, water pump, radio, ignition coils, engine hoses, coolant system, bad ECU, transmission, and thats just off the top of my head. Be ready to become best friends with your mechanic because you'll be seeing him and a check engine light on a lot. Not to mention that all VW parts are extremely expensive. Safe your money people and get your self a honda or toyota. I would never buy another VW again i have sold it since and moved on to a honda best move ever made.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By Joe on 03/20/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is the worse investment I have ever made. Bought it used in '05 with 18,000 miles on it for $18,500 and have put over $9,000 in it on maintenance. Currently it does not run because the car leaks water very badly through the ceiling. I had to replace both axels, the clutch after about 2,000 miles in my ownership, i had suspension problems, turbo/exhaust problems, leaking all over the ceiling. About 20 different hoses and gauges replaced, no exaggeration. It was on 2010's Consumer Reports worse car list. Timing belt was replaced a lot sooner than is should be replaced because of issues, the Catalytic Converter was replaced, all of this because of the cars build quality.

Dont buy one
By Gary on 02/26/10 09:43 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever had. It stays tore up, clutch 3 times,Turbo went out 44000 miles,new water pump,you name it. This car will break the bank. STAY AWAY!!!

The Worst
By Jimmy on 08/31/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Issues w/ terminal connections, burnt out fuse box on battery, always replacing head light/blinker and brake lights. Engine light always on, airbag light always on (had to replace seat belt buckle 4x's) newest addition, blown engine w/ 85k miles. Now replaced w/ rebuilt engine 2 weeks ago and engine light back on. Can you say lemon! Do not buy this car!

Love the 337
By the_original on 06/28/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought a slightly used 337 while I was looking for a 20th Anniv. model and have never regretted it. It replaced (directly) an '89 GTi 16V and I have to say the build quality of the newer car FAR exceeds the old. The North American 337s were built in Brazil, so they do not suffer many of the Mexican GTi problems (windows do not fall out, etc.). Handles incredibly well even in stock configuration. The Audi-sourced brakes and 6-speed make excellent additions.