GTI oh my! what an experience.
By kudin on
2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)
Honestly I can say owning the VW GTI VR6 was nothing short of a nightmare. I had purchased the top of the line 2001 in 2011 GLX with less then 140,000 kilometers and was the third owner. Over the span of one year it coast me half its value in repairs for parts that are literally prone to failure. Volkswagen knows this but makes no attempt to fix it, simply Google coil-pack failures for the mk4. As a car it is fun to drive its fun. However its heavy slow and antiquated. The whole VR6 thing is overrated till you hit the highway and the bulk of my driving was city so its a pig on gas, changing the oil is at least a 100 dollar job if you do it right and go full synthetic.
Favorite Features
I’ll start with the positives the car is fun looks good and is made from quality materials. Mine was even assembled in Germany so the whole Mexican/Brazil assembly argument is moot. Cargo space is phenomenal this thing hauls a massive amount of stuff. I was also T-boned by a Jeep and the first thing I said upon looking at the damage was strong car, in other words it is safe.
Suggested Improvements
I am sorry if something isn’t reliable it is not a good car it is a piece of crap, if it cant hold its own for 3-4 months out of the year without going into the shop its waste of space time and your money no matter how you look at it. Anyone who is telling you VW is reliable is misleading Google Toyota or Honda in the bulk of reviews from legit to average consumers these companies gain top marks for reliability. Volkswagen doesn’t have the same reputation. If you have the money to spare and are not a 20 something college student paying his own way in life and don’t mind sinking some serious cash to spruce up this car then this cars for you.