Five Years Old, Over 100,000 Miles Review
By Saint Clair on
2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)
I bought this car in '06 it now has 103,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. Everything works perfectly as if I just drove it off the show room floor. There are only a few minor issues: the right side suspension squeaks, the Texas heat melted the glue on the door liner, the interior squeaks more than I would like, and the center console latch broke. That's it. This GTI has more options on it than any Mercedes / BMW / Lexus of its time. The interior is straight luxury car and as far as its performance goes, well I have yet to get a tricked out Honda to challenge me! They see the VR6 badge and back off. This is my 3rd VW. I've owned two Jettas and decided to have a little fun with this purchase. I will never buy anything other than vehicles from the VW auto group.
Favorite Features
The rain sensor, interior, Monsoon stereo, VR6 engine growl, and cargo space. Mine has 100,000 miles and runs perfectly.
Suggested Improvements
All of gthe things that needed improvement in the 2001 model have been fixed in newer models so I won't complain. If you get one check Carfax to see if it has been serviced like it is supposed to be, every 20,000 miles.