Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

fun, but is it reliable???
By yesborisgo

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i think for $25,000 thisis the car to get if you looking for somthing good looking inside and out. Lot of fun to drive since you get a lot from it s v6 engine combined with the very luxurious looks inside. Yet it's kryptonite is the reliability. Since i bought it i hadit more in service garage than in mine.

power, looks, very spacious even for 6'6 people

definately RELIABILITY

MINE MINE MINE!!!
By GTI-Zak

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine new in 07/2001. Added the 17" rims and sport suspension - resulting in absolutely amazing handling. Only 2 warranty items - driver side window regulator (common problem) and an ignition coil blew (apparently a known issue and now replaced with a new design). The dealership replaced both window regulators with new metal ones and both ignition coils with the newly re- designed one. After 2-1/2 years the occasional odd little interior creaks are a bit annoying. Overall I'm very pleased with this wicked little speed demon. The GTI is a fantastic vehicle and is highly recommended!

- excellent power/weight ratio - excellent handling (with the 17" & sport suspension) - excellent flip-up seats for easy backseat access - fantastic package overall

- warranty - 2yr/40K km stinks - better seat design - long trips kill my back and why can't I recline the stupid things?! - tighten things better at the factory so they don't creak later in life

3rd VW
By JGa

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW that I have owned and it is the best. I also own a Lexus and a Acura so I think I have a good comparison in the quality department. I had looked at BMW but for the price this GTI is better, even than most cars at 50% higher price maybe even double the price. Quality is online with Acura but not as good as my Lexus. The ride is very comfortable. I am very happy with the car

Nice interior, stereo, heated seats, fun to drive

A little more sound absorption material in back

The pleasures of driving a 2001 GTi VR6
By o2bavr6

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This the 3rd GTi I've owned and have had the car now for about 3 years. I never tire of driving it. The VR6 has such a wondeful power band. It also handles quite well for a hatchback with a V6 in it. I haven't had many troubles with the car at all, and the ones I did were covered under warranty. 2004 VW R32 here I come.

So fun to drive. VR6, the sound, the torque. German Engineering with affordable pricing.

Fix interior door handles from peeling. Armrest cover lock is flimsy. Just a bit more comfortable seats. Occasionally grinds gears during changes. More power, better handling, DSG Transmission ;-)

value
By turbodude

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

bought new for less than $20,000 three years ago. the power during the test drive convinced me to buy it. solid feel of a german car puts my old honda to shame. my first car was vw bug in 1972 so it was kind of like coming home to an old friend. the only problem i've had is the engine light sometimes comes on in cooler weather (ignition coil factory recall?). i suppose my only real complaint is that i need to be aggressive with the clutch when the light turns green to keep up with the automatic transmissions.

power and solid feel

seems like newer models have better selection of options: wheels, colors, power, etc.