Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Great idea, terrible execution
By das26_2

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car could be one of the best for a small sporty cars. My car has been in the shop 12 TIMES for ignition coil problems and there has been little to no satisfaction from Corporate. This is my 4th VW and by far the one with the most problems. The coils will have you in the shop every couple months and the service is terrible.

Quick, fast, enjoyable drive (when working), able to make modifications.

FIX THE COILS / WINDOWS. Better interior, some more bells. OH BY THE WAY FIX THE COILS. Lastly FIX THE COILS.

Great Car
By jstn4102

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I'm glad I forked over the extra cash for the Vr6, it was well worth it. Before purchasing this car i was considering either a 1.8 rubo GTI or getta gls and the civic Si. I am glad i chose the VR6 GTI. Handling is superb and there is nothing better than a naturally powerful engine. No turbo lag and ltos of torque puts the VR6 engine in front of the 1.8 anyday.

Power, handling, interior styling

none

I love it!
By PA2CA

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my GTI in the summer of '03. It's been great! It's reliable and the build quality is strong. It's fun to drive, yet practical. I'd still like a little more power, but it's really all that I need. Road noise was reduced drastically and the ride was greatly improved with the purchase of new tires. I'd highly recommend this car.

Interior Design, handling, reliability.

I had to add a cd player to the monsoon system. Tires are expensive, but that's the price for performance.

Ignition Coil !?!
By irritated

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My ignition coil failed at 49,000 miles. This is unacceptable and I got no support from customer service. Apparently this is under recall on other engines, but not mine. They were a terrible organizaition to deal with. The power windows failed 4 times, even though they extended the warranty, it was still a hassle to deal with. The car in general has not worn well, I want to sell it immediatly.

If it works, it is fun, but it rarely does.

This car is not reliable at all

Drive Fast
By Love to Drive Fast

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 1.8T just turn 2 and it has been fun. I usually buy a new car every 2-3 years because of the heavy mileage I do. However, I think I'll keep this little gem a little longer and maybe do a few upgrades. I just don't think I can part with it. It's fast, handles great, and loves to go hard. You can't beat this car up, it was meant for hard driving. I'm often in the drivers seat for hours at a time a find the seating and controls very comfortable. It has the comfort of a much larger car, yet handles nimbly. The only negative was the window problem others have experienced, but my dealer fixed it right away. No problems since.

Acceleration, smoooooth engine - even my passengers are impressed. Fun to drive.

Haven't had any problems.