2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Love the car except the window problems.
By Jim Swizzlesticks on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

hey. I got my car a while back. I do love the thing. I have a problem with the windows though. First I had to get the window regulators replaced. I guess plastic was used to build them the first time. NOW the sunroof is acting screwy. I had to pop that little emergency panel and crank it two inches that it didn't cover on it;s own. Aggravating. The rest of the car is sweet though.

2001 GTI GLX
By Scott Swanson on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Extremely solid build and attention to detail. Practicality of hatchback and performance of silky smooth VR6 engine. I have had no problems over the last year.

Fun to drive but..............
By karma72 on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really like this car but I can't believe the problems I 've had the past 2 years. Five times the windows have fallen down into the doors, various plastic pieces inside keep falling off or break, the headlights suddenly stopped working, and the tail lights have had problems. My dealer has fixed most of these problems without charge but Volkswagen will not even admit there is an epidemic with the window situation and are non cooperative on the customer service phone. The car is a blast to drive but I really have to question the overall quality of some of the design, and Volkswagen needs to fess up to the window problem and do a recall.

Poor Quality
By ihategti on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Windows fall into the door every alternate week. Excessive body roll, this car is NOT fun to drive.

im buying GTIs for my whole life.
By nj_vw_punk on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'll make this short. This is the best all-around car you will find. The car is fun as hell to drive, looks good, is practical (as most hatchbacks are), is designed intelligently (for the most part) and the build quality is great. you wont get this much car for this little money anywhere else. forget what you think you should be driving (especially inefficient SUVs), and go to a dealer and take a test drive. Power is more than sufficient. Handling is good for all but the most performance minded. My only complaint is that some dealers are genuine jerks. Reydel VW in Edison NJ is quite good.

Pocket Rocket!!!!!!
By karma72 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a blast to drive. I have had it for 22 months now and I still can not wait to drive it at any chance I get. Great acceleration and handling. Extermely quiet interior too. This car drives and feels like it should cost alot more! The only problem I have had with this car is the power window mechinism in both windows have gone out twice. My dealer has handled this repair at no cost to me even with it being out of warranty.

Great car
By acmeretro on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In the 18 months I've had it, Its a fun car to drive. I have the 15" wheels I would suggest the the 16" or the 17". Very smooth and quiet for such a small car. No real problems yet other than a dome light switch. With the 1.8T 5 speed was disapointed with the mileage at first 26-27 city but has picked up to 30+ city after 15,000 miles.

READ THIS REVIEW!!! ONE FABULOUS CAR!!!
By seandmc1 on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I know cars, and Volkswagens build quality has greatly improved in the MKIV series. The VR6 has a great track record + torque and HP. The build quality, drivability, ergonomics and looks are excellent. The wheels tend to be a bit weak, so watch for potholes! Manual trans. is the only way to go on this car. If you are looking for a sportier, classier, and cooler alternative to a Toyota...then the GTI VR6 is definately for you. Do be prepared for mediocre dealership service. I do most of the car work myself anyway, and this car is a breeze to work on! This car epitomizes all that is great about German engineering. Japan and the U.S. can't touch it!

Turbonium!
By CDN20VALVE on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my 2002 180hp GTI! I switched from a Sunfire GT to a VW, and I never looked back! The VW is a much more capable car in every way! No other car in it's class can compete with it. I just came back from a camping trip, where I turned my German cruise missile into a stationwagon (folding down the rear seats). We carried everything, and people were amazed at how much we could fit in the GTI! Did I mention it was very fast?

GTI glory
By misterv on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Ditch your SUV and enjoy automobile bliss! When you sit down in a GTI you notice how the seat hugs you. When you hit the gas in a GTI you know why the seat hugs you. Having been a former SUV owner I was hesitant to making the switch to a mere car. I found out how the GTI is not just a car, but an enjoyable driving experience. I have owned my GTI for about two months and I am extremely satisfied. From the amenities to the engine this car has it all. (Open the trunk and look at the space.) I thought that a SUV was essential to my lifestyle, but now I would not trade this car for any SUV out there. Do yourself a favor and at least test drive this car to see what you are missing.