2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Bang for the buck
By kevbelz on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Absolutely the BEST bang for your buck. I bargained the price down to 21000 (maybe could of done better?) based on the fact that the 2002's would have 180HP stock. Well for a little more than $500 I added a Garrett chip and a K&N filter, and the car's horsepower jumped to 195 from 150. There are some reliability issues that seem to come up for MANY owners. (coilpacks need replacing, window regulators, and brakes and clutch seem to wear out too quickly) but luckily I haven't seen any of this. Just treat her good, and she'll take care of you.

Never Again . . .
By JDC on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been plagued with problems, regardless of the fact that I bought it new. Where do I start? 1)Rain sensor was broken, which required a new windshield. 2)Rear-view mirror came detached twice. 3)Check engine light came on twice. 4) Passenger window fell in. 5)Air conditioning motor stopped working. 6) Alarm system malfunctioned. I take excellent care of this car, yet Volkswagen has let me down repeatedly. I will never again purchase a Volkswagen, and I am cautioning everyone I know to stay away from them.

The GTI
By kevykev12 on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy this car. It's got good power, it looks good. The hatchback gives some extra space. The moonroof is cool. My problem with the car thus far, has nothing to do with the car but the manufacturer. It seems that all repairs on my car when they become necessary will have to be done at the dealer. An overpriced dealer, where at this point, I've been unsatisfied with their lack of professionalism and lazy service. With all of that said, once again, I love the car, and would consider buying another GTI/Golf in the future if the rectify some of their buisness practices.

My GTI Review
By Rccar 111 on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My GTI has been a blast to drive everyday for almost 2 years now. The 1.8t engine is the same one you'll find on the Audi TT, A4, and A3. I don't think most people realize that. It has a lot of low end torque and high end hp. With an aftermarket chipping program, you will have a 210hp 240tq mini monster. The handling isn't too bad, but with a aftermarket suspension, the handling performance is greatly improved.

1st VW and pleasantly surprised!
By utahgti on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lets see, where to begin. Well, firstly, i bought the car used with 4500 miles on it ( and its 2 years old ) "issues" were the rubber interior door drivers handle was peeling ( not warranteed ), the passenger seat release was broken ( warrantee ). I have owed subaru, pontiacx2, nissanx2 and finally this VW. Since owning the VW for just around 3 months, it is my most favorite vehicle of all of ones i have owned (*pleasantly surprised*) A friend, VW owner x3 now, said dont expect japanese reliability but german character ( handling / feel ) I will have to see how the reliability is after awhile.

2001 GTI 1.8Turbo
By 1FE on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great driving. Would like the 2002 180hp engine software. Coolant system leak following delivery. Power window failed X3 due to faulty regulator. All problems repaired under warranty. Generally pleased with car and service

Very fun and safe to drive.
By Leonel Castro on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for over 2 years. The windows have fallen inside the door several times. Though Volkswagen did admit that it was a huge defect on these vehicles, they are replacing all window mechanisms with a complete newly designed piece. It's been now almost a year and the windows work perfectly. Other than that I have no complaints. I love driving the car and am very pleased with the smooth drive. 150 hourses can really give you some serious G-Force! Oh, and one last thing... This car has always made head turns since the first day a owned it. It's sleek European design definitely stands out within the rest.

all included
By Bartman on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

what else do you need ? sporty powerfull engine, it feels like a car - much more car than you think - it does not feel like one of those lightweight small cars, it feels more like a car twice it size. Also you will be surprised about the interior space. standup bass, skis ( 210 ) 4 adults comfortably etc

Great car, needs some improvement
By Helicon Twist on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I went to VW after giving up on GM. The GTI moves quickly and handles beautifully. It's suprisingly roomy for a compact 3-door, with unbelievably cargo carrying capacity. The interior is very comfortable and remarkably upscale for the price. However, there have been some (minor) build quality issues (nothing related in any way to driveability), and VW needs to seriously address these in the future. VWoA also needs to serously improve its customer service, and its dealership network.

Great car, needs to be better built
By dts on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Like the title says, I absolutely love the car, but there have just been too many reliability issues. It fits my needs perfectly -- it's sporty, practical, and luxurious all at once. In the GLX level, it feels like an Audi hatchback would feel if they sold one in the U.S. But in the two years I have owned it, I have had to have the driver's side airbag replaced, the airbag wiring harness replaced, the driver's side door realigned twice, a speaker replaced twice, the driver's side window regulator replaced twice, and the engine mass air flow sensor replaced.