Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Where did it go wrong?!?!
By Nick

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is fun to drive. The handling and power are average. I recommend the '02 and up GTIs (30 more HP). All the rumors about the electric and use of cheap parts are true. The sunroof drainage tubes are cheap rubber hoses that will leak on you. The power windows will go out on you. The cheaper stock turbo hoses will leak or bust. Get use to seeing the check engine light on. stock suspension is too high and loose for the handling one might want. I recommend upgrading to the 20th/337 GTI suspension. I am on my second oil pan and second fuel pump. Get the timing belt done as soon as possible. If that goes out it takes the whole engine with it. Poor design!!

Turbo engine. Interior layout. Exterior design.

Electric wiring, more horsepower, better suspension, better parts, cheaper retail of replacement parts, and better aero design!

170,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By Cat

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first VW and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I haven't had any problems with this car other than having to pop the CD changer in and out a couple times before it will work, and the wipers sometimes are fickle if the temp drops below 40F. I also had to get used to the controls. It's speedy and fun to drive, and my 6'3" roommate fits in it comfortably as well as two sets of hockey gear. With other cars I've noticed lag in power if the car is loaded up, but not this one. It costs a little more to maintain that the average American car, but if it goes another 100,000 miles I won't complain. It does have some quirky design flaws that I don't like, but have been fixed in more recent models.

The heated leather seats, nice sound system, speed, reliability, consistent handling, blue & red dash lights, mpg gauge, fuel economy is good - I average 28 mpg, which isn't bad for a V6, roomy, sunroof, comfortable.

The cup holders are flimsy and their location stinks - cold beverages get warm being in front of vent. Also, the driver's side door handle is peeling. I don;t like the location/design of the climate controls and CD/radio, you have to look at them while driving to make sure you're pressing the right button. The paint job could be better - mine's pitted

Great Car
By derekdewaal

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

For the money, this car is tough to beat. It is economical, mostly reliable, and fun to drive. This is the best car that I have owned. It is probably the best 2-door car availaible short of the BMW 3-Series. The cupholders stink, but this is outweighed by its utility, especaillay with the rear seats folded down. I wish I could keep it forever, but I know that as a 2-Door, it is somewhat inpractical. My dealer has been fabulous in maintaining my car and has added to the overall experience. With 53,000 miles, it still runs like new, with minimal maintenance, other than scheduled. If you are looking for a used GTI, look out for boy racers who beat on them, this is, unfortunately, common.

The lucury features, heated seats, heated mirros, auto climate contol, auto wipers, fuel efficiency for a V6, and the quality of the dealer experience -- service and sales.

Routine maintainance costs are high, don't buy this car if you are not aware of VW issues (window regulators, CELs, etc.).

Five Years Old, Over 100,000 Miles Review
By Saint Clair

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in '06 it now has 103,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. Everything works perfectly as if I just drove it off the show room floor. There are only a few minor issues: the right side suspension squeaks, the Texas heat melted the glue on the door liner, the interior squeaks more than I would like, and the center console latch broke. That's it. This GTI has more options on it than any Mercedes / BMW / Lexus of its time. The interior is straight luxury car and as far as its performance goes, well I have yet to get a tricked out Honda to challenge me! They see the VR6 badge and back off. This is my 3rd VW. I've owned two Jettas and decided to have a little fun with this purchase. I will never buy anything other than vehicles from the VW auto group.

The rain sensor, interior, Monsoon stereo, VR6 engine growl, and cargo space. Mine has 100,000 miles and runs perfectly.

All of gthe things that needed improvement in the 2001 model have been fixed in newer models so I won't complain. If you get one check Carfax to see if it has been serviced like it is supposed to be, every 20,000 miles.

Enjoyed my first GTI
By Timdaog

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 28,000 miles on it. The car was very fun to drive as it had a lot of pep and handled like a European car should. The only issues I had were the shifting, which I found to be notchy and not smooth, the location of the cupholders and the lack of power seats. Overall though, this is a sharp looking ride that I very much enjoyed driving. The result was my leasing a 2006 GTI which I absolutely love...GO VW!

The European styling (interior and exterior), blue lighting on the dash, acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears, handling of turns, VR6 engine, and sport wheels.

Relocate the cupholders, do away with the CD changer in trunk and put one in the dash, make shifting smoother, it need power seats, and most importantly...more horsepower!