Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Great Car
By derekdewaal

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

For the money, this car is tough to beat. It is economical, mostly reliable, and fun to drive. This is the best car that I have owned. It is probably the best 2-door car availaible short of the BMW 3-Series. The cupholders stink, but this is outweighed by its utility, especaillay with the rear seats folded down. I wish I could keep it forever, but I know that as a 2-Door, it is somewhat inpractical. My dealer has been fabulous in maintaining my car and has added to the overall experience. With 53,000 miles, it still runs like new, with minimal maintenance, other than scheduled. If you are looking for a used GTI, look out for boy racers who beat on them, this is, unfortunately, common.

Favorite Features

The lucury features, heated seats, heated mirros, auto climate contol, auto wipers, fuel efficiency for a V6, and the quality of the dealer experience -- service and sales.

Suggested Improvements

Routine maintainance costs are high, don't buy this car if you are not aware of VW issues (window regulators, CELs, etc.).

Five Years Old, Over 100,000 Miles Review
By Saint Clair

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in '06 it now has 103,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. Everything works perfectly as if I just drove it off the show room floor. There are only a few minor issues: the right side suspension squeaks, the Texas heat melted the glue on the door liner, the interior squeaks more than I would like, and the center console latch broke. That's it. This GTI has more options on it than any Mercedes / BMW / Lexus of its time. The interior is straight luxury car and as far as its performance goes, well I have yet to get a tricked out Honda to challenge me! They see the VR6 badge and back off. This is my 3rd VW. I've owned two Jettas and decided to have a little fun with this purchase. I will never buy anything other than vehicles from the VW auto group.

Favorite Features

The rain sensor, interior, Monsoon stereo, VR6 engine growl, and cargo space. Mine has 100,000 miles and runs perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

All of gthe things that needed improvement in the 2001 model have been fixed in newer models so I won't complain. If you get one check Carfax to see if it has been serviced like it is supposed to be, every 20,000 miles.

Enjoyed my first GTI
By Timdaog

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 28,000 miles on it. The car was very fun to drive as it had a lot of pep and handled like a European car should. The only issues I had were the shifting, which I found to be notchy and not smooth, the location of the cupholders and the lack of power seats. Overall though, this is a sharp looking ride that I very much enjoyed driving. The result was my leasing a 2006 GTI which I absolutely love...GO VW!

Favorite Features

The European styling (interior and exterior), blue lighting on the dash, acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears, handling of turns, VR6 engine, and sport wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the cupholders, do away with the CD changer in trunk and put one in the dash, make shifting smoother, it need power seats, and most importantly...more horsepower!

Poor reliability
By Spngbobfan

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased car new at dealer outside my home state. I knew I wanted the GTI because I felt like it was a lot of car for the money with some great standard features. It was very hard to locate a VR6 at the time. Experience with the selling dealership was wonderful. However, future service issue experience with Maryland dealers was terrible. When the car runs well, it can be a lot of fun to drive. Problem areas include replacing 2 window regulators, replacing cat converter at 50K, rain sensors not working and poor quality door materials. As of now, I'd never purchase another VW again

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfortable seats, Monsoon stereo, lots of storage and room for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Workmanship and dealer customer service

Rocket in my pocket
By Engulfed1.8t

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive car with zippy handeling. Not exactly a power hugry street beast but a refined scalpal. Easily upgraded for 50 more ponies all inside a little chip. Cult like fallowing with dedicated clubs and events. Oh, and a magazine (euro tuner). VW service is a little slow to respond but the car is built well on the outside and under the hood, Audi engineering.

Favorite Features

Turbo, Heated seats, traction control, moon roof, Auto windows, air bags galore.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality, more power, smoother gearbox.