Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Fun to Drive But........
By Emil

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Very fun to drive. Wish they upped the HP in 2001 instead of 2002, but 175 is still pretty peppy. I regularly get 30pmg at highway speeds.

Torque on the V6

Transmission melted at 80,000 miles. Fuel injectors died and cost $700 each to replace. This is a cheap car to drive but an expensive car to repair. Very expensive. Tires run about $200 per piece and wear out quickly. I have 108,000 miles now. Body is perfect and so is interior.

Big VR6 fan. would buy another any day
By Bruno

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 2001 GTI vr6 and man do i miss it.. the only reason why i sold it its because financially i was having problems at that time... But as of right now I'm looking to Buy another one... Throw a nice short ram or cold air intake, a nice greddy exhaust and your driving a beast, sounds and drives like a champ... not to mention if you throw in a turbo in it.. forget it awesome car.

New rims, performance tires, Intake and a nice greddy exhaust. Sounds amazing.

gti in audi clothing
By andy's review

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

So far so good! This car took me a while to get used to because I'm so used to driving second generation gti's, but I really like it now. Not as much fun as the 1st and second generation gti's but but smoother and better all around. Very roomy and handling is up to par. The vr6 is such a nice engine. You move a lot faster then it feels. Definitely a much more solid feeling car. Fuel is pretty good if you baby the car. Easy to drive slow and exciting to drive fast! In my opinion it has an Audi feel to it and the cabin is pretty quiet. This glx model is loaded and I love and use every option. I'm very happy with my purchase!

Boo-Berry dashboard lights, vr6 engine, leather heated seats, 5-speed transmission, exterior/interior styling, great visibility, fun and easy to drive.

build quality as always though is model is quite good. more power! better handling!

Where did it go wrong?!?!
By Nick

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is fun to drive. The handling and power are average. I recommend the '02 and up GTIs (30 more HP). All the rumors about the electric and use of cheap parts are true. The sunroof drainage tubes are cheap rubber hoses that will leak on you. The power windows will go out on you. The cheaper stock turbo hoses will leak or bust. Get use to seeing the check engine light on. stock suspension is too high and loose for the handling one might want. I recommend upgrading to the 20th/337 GTI suspension. I am on my second oil pan and second fuel pump. Get the timing belt done as soon as possible. If that goes out it takes the whole engine with it. Poor design!!

Turbo engine. Interior layout. Exterior design.

Electric wiring, more horsepower, better suspension, better parts, cheaper retail of replacement parts, and better aero design!

170,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By Cat

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first VW and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I haven't had any problems with this car other than having to pop the CD changer in and out a couple times before it will work, and the wipers sometimes are fickle if the temp drops below 40F. I also had to get used to the controls. It's speedy and fun to drive, and my 6'3" roommate fits in it comfortably as well as two sets of hockey gear. With other cars I've noticed lag in power if the car is loaded up, but not this one. It costs a little more to maintain that the average American car, but if it goes another 100,000 miles I won't complain. It does have some quirky design flaws that I don't like, but have been fixed in more recent models.

The heated leather seats, nice sound system, speed, reliability, consistent handling, blue & red dash lights, mpg gauge, fuel economy is good - I average 28 mpg, which isn't bad for a V6, roomy, sunroof, comfortable.

The cup holders are flimsy and their location stinks - cold beverages get warm being in front of vent. Also, the driver's side door handle is peeling. I don;t like the location/design of the climate controls and CD/radio, you have to look at them while driving to make sure you're pressing the right button. The paint job could be better - mine's pitted

• SUV