2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great idea, terrible execution
By das26_2 on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car could be one of the best for a small sporty cars. My car has been in the shop 12 TIMES for ignition coil problems and there has been little to no satisfaction from Corporate. This is my 4th VW and by far the one with the most problems. The coils will have you in the shop every couple months and the service is terrible.

Great Car
By jstn4102 on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I'm glad I forked over the extra cash for the Vr6, it was well worth it. Before purchasing this car i was considering either a 1.8 rubo GTI or getta gls and the civic Si. I am glad i chose the VR6 GTI. Handling is superb and there is nothing better than a naturally powerful engine. No turbo lag and ltos of torque puts the VR6 engine in front of the 1.8 anyday.

I love it!
By PA2CA on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my GTI in the summer of '03. It's been great! It's reliable and the build quality is strong. It's fun to drive, yet practical. I'd still like a little more power, but it's really all that I need. Road noise was reduced drastically and the ride was greatly improved with the purchase of new tires. I'd highly recommend this car.

Ignition Coil !?!
By irritated on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My ignition coil failed at 49,000 miles. This is unacceptable and I got no support from customer service. Apparently this is under recall on other engines, but not mine. They were a terrible organizaition to deal with. The power windows failed 4 times, even though they extended the warranty, it was still a hassle to deal with. The car in general has not worn well, I want to sell it immediatly.

Drive Fast
By Love to Drive Fast on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 1.8T just turn 2 and it has been fun. I usually buy a new car every 2-3 years because of the heavy mileage I do. However, I think I'll keep this little gem a little longer and maybe do a few upgrades. I just don't think I can part with it. It's fast, handles great, and loves to go hard. You can't beat this car up, it was meant for hard driving. I'm often in the drivers seat for hours at a time a find the seating and controls very comfortable. It has the comfort of a much larger car, yet handles nimbly. The only negative was the window problem others have experienced, but my dealer fixed it right away. No problems since.

fun, but is it reliable???
By yesborisgo on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

i think for $25,000 thisis the car to get if you looking for somthing good looking inside and out. Lot of fun to drive since you get a lot from it s v6 engine combined with the very luxurious looks inside. Yet it's kryptonite is the reliability. Since i bought it i hadit more in service garage than in mine.

MINE MINE MINE!!!
By GTI-Zak on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine new in 07/2001. Added the 17" rims and sport suspension - resulting in absolutely amazing handling. Only 2 warranty items - driver side window regulator (common problem) and an ignition coil blew (apparently a known issue and now replaced with a new design). The dealership replaced both window regulators with new metal ones and both ignition coils with the newly re- designed one. After 2-1/2 years the occasional odd little interior creaks are a bit annoying. Overall I'm very pleased with this wicked little speed demon. The GTI is a fantastic vehicle and is highly recommended!

3rd VW
By JGa on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW that I have owned and it is the best. I also own a Lexus and a Acura so I think I have a good comparison in the quality department. I had looked at BMW but for the price this GTI is better, even than most cars at 50% higher price maybe even double the price. Quality is online with Acura but not as good as my Lexus. The ride is very comfortable. I am very happy with the car

The pleasures of driving a 2001 GTi VR6
By o2bavr6 on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This the 3rd GTi I've owned and have had the car now for about 3 years. I never tire of driving it. The VR6 has such a wondeful power band. It also handles quite well for a hatchback with a V6 in it. I haven't had many troubles with the car at all, and the ones I did were covered under warranty. 2004 VW R32 here I come.

value
By turbodude on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

bought new for less than $20,000 three years ago. the power during the test drive convinced me to buy it. solid feel of a german car puts my old honda to shame. my first car was vw bug in 1972 so it was kind of like coming home to an old friend. the only problem i've had is the engine light sometimes comes on in cooler weather (ignition coil factory recall?). i suppose my only real complaint is that i need to be aggressive with the clutch when the light turns green to keep up with the automatic transmissions.