2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2001 GTI Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun to Drive But........
By Emil

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Very fun to drive. Wish they upped the HP in 2001 instead of 2002, but 175 is still pretty peppy. I regularly get 30pmg at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

Torque on the V6

Suggested Improvements

Transmission melted at 80,000 miles. Fuel injectors died and cost $700 each to replace. This is a cheap car to drive but an expensive car to repair. Very expensive. Tires run about $200 per piece and wear out quickly. I have 108,000 miles now. Body is perfect and so is interior.

Big VR6 fan. would buy another any day
By Bruno

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 2001 GTI vr6 and man do i miss it.. the only reason why i sold it its because financially i was having problems at that time... But as of right now I'm looking to Buy another one... Throw a nice short ram or cold air intake, a nice greddy exhaust and your driving a beast, sounds and drives like a champ... not to mention if you throw in a turbo in it.. forget it awesome car.

Suggested Improvements

New rims, performance tires, Intake and a nice greddy exhaust. Sounds amazing.

gti in audi clothing
By andy's review

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

So far so good! This car took me a while to get used to because I'm so used to driving second generation gti's, but I really like it now. Not as much fun as the 1st and second generation gti's but but smoother and better all around. Very roomy and handling is up to par. The vr6 is such a nice engine. You move a lot faster then it feels. Definitely a much more solid feeling car. Fuel is pretty good if you baby the car. Easy to drive slow and exciting to drive fast! In my opinion it has an Audi feel to it and the cabin is pretty quiet. This glx model is loaded and I love and use every option. I'm very happy with my purchase!

Favorite Features

Boo-Berry dashboard lights, vr6 engine, leather heated seats, 5-speed transmission, exterior/interior styling, great visibility, fun and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

build quality as always though is model is quite good. more power! better handling!

Where did it go wrong?!?!
By Nick

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GTI is fun to drive. The handling and power are average. I recommend the '02 and up GTIs (30 more HP). All the rumors about the electric and use of cheap parts are true. The sunroof drainage tubes are cheap rubber hoses that will leak on you. The power windows will go out on you. The cheaper stock turbo hoses will leak or bust. Get use to seeing the check engine light on. stock suspension is too high and loose for the handling one might want. I recommend upgrading to the 20th/337 GTI suspension. I am on my second oil pan and second fuel pump. Get the timing belt done as soon as possible. If that goes out it takes the whole engine with it. Poor design!!

Favorite Features

Turbo engine. Interior layout. Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Electric wiring, more horsepower, better suspension, better parts, cheaper retail of replacement parts, and better aero design!

170,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By Cat

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first VW and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I haven't had any problems with this car other than having to pop the CD changer in and out a couple times before it will work, and the wipers sometimes are fickle if the temp drops below 40F. I also had to get used to the controls. It's speedy and fun to drive, and my 6'3" roommate fits in it comfortably as well as two sets of hockey gear. With other cars I've noticed lag in power if the car is loaded up, but not this one. It costs a little more to maintain that the average American car, but if it goes another 100,000 miles I won't complain. It does have some quirky design flaws that I don't like, but have been fixed in more recent models.

Favorite Features

The heated leather seats, nice sound system, speed, reliability, consistent handling, blue & red dash lights, mpg gauge, fuel economy is good - I average 28 mpg, which isn't bad for a V6, roomy, sunroof, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are flimsy and their location stinks - cold beverages get warm being in front of vent. Also, the driver's side door handle is peeling. I don;t like the location/design of the climate controls and CD/radio, you have to look at them while driving to make sure you're pressing the right button. The paint job could be better - mine's pitted

Great Car
By derekdewaal

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

For the money, this car is tough to beat. It is economical, mostly reliable, and fun to drive. This is the best car that I have owned. It is probably the best 2-door car availaible short of the BMW 3-Series. The cupholders stink, but this is outweighed by its utility, especaillay with the rear seats folded down. I wish I could keep it forever, but I know that as a 2-Door, it is somewhat inpractical. My dealer has been fabulous in maintaining my car and has added to the overall experience. With 53,000 miles, it still runs like new, with minimal maintenance, other than scheduled. If you are looking for a used GTI, look out for boy racers who beat on them, this is, unfortunately, common.

Favorite Features

The lucury features, heated seats, heated mirros, auto climate contol, auto wipers, fuel efficiency for a V6, and the quality of the dealer experience -- service and sales.

Suggested Improvements

Routine maintainance costs are high, don't buy this car if you are not aware of VW issues (window regulators, CELs, etc.).

Five Years Old, Over 100,000 Miles Review
By Saint Clair

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in '06 it now has 103,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. Everything works perfectly as if I just drove it off the show room floor. There are only a few minor issues: the right side suspension squeaks, the Texas heat melted the glue on the door liner, the interior squeaks more than I would like, and the center console latch broke. That's it. This GTI has more options on it than any Mercedes / BMW / Lexus of its time. The interior is straight luxury car and as far as its performance goes, well I have yet to get a tricked out Honda to challenge me! They see the VR6 badge and back off. This is my 3rd VW. I've owned two Jettas and decided to have a little fun with this purchase. I will never buy anything other than vehicles from the VW auto group.

Favorite Features

The rain sensor, interior, Monsoon stereo, VR6 engine growl, and cargo space. Mine has 100,000 miles and runs perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

All of gthe things that needed improvement in the 2001 model have been fixed in newer models so I won't complain. If you get one check Carfax to see if it has been serviced like it is supposed to be, every 20,000 miles.

Enjoyed my first GTI
By Timdaog

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 28,000 miles on it. The car was very fun to drive as it had a lot of pep and handled like a European car should. The only issues I had were the shifting, which I found to be notchy and not smooth, the location of the cupholders and the lack of power seats. Overall though, this is a sharp looking ride that I very much enjoyed driving. The result was my leasing a 2006 GTI which I absolutely love...GO VW!

Favorite Features

The European styling (interior and exterior), blue lighting on the dash, acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears, handling of turns, VR6 engine, and sport wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the cupholders, do away with the CD changer in trunk and put one in the dash, make shifting smoother, it need power seats, and most importantly...more horsepower!

Poor reliability
By Spngbobfan

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased car new at dealer outside my home state. I knew I wanted the GTI because I felt like it was a lot of car for the money with some great standard features. It was very hard to locate a VR6 at the time. Experience with the selling dealership was wonderful. However, future service issue experience with Maryland dealers was terrible. When the car runs well, it can be a lot of fun to drive. Problem areas include replacing 2 window regulators, replacing cat converter at 50K, rain sensors not working and poor quality door materials. As of now, I'd never purchase another VW again

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfortable seats, Monsoon stereo, lots of storage and room for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Workmanship and dealer customer service

Rocket in my pocket
By Engulfed1.8t

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive car with zippy handeling. Not exactly a power hugry street beast but a refined scalpal. Easily upgraded for 50 more ponies all inside a little chip. Cult like fallowing with dedicated clubs and events. Oh, and a magazine (euro tuner). VW service is a little slow to respond but the car is built well on the outside and under the hood, Audi engineering.

Favorite Features

Turbo, Heated seats, traction control, moon roof, Auto windows, air bags galore.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality, more power, smoother gearbox.