2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: 170,000 Miles and Still Going

2001 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

170,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By Cat on

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first VW and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I haven't had any problems with this car other than having to pop the CD changer in and out a couple times before it will work, and the wipers sometimes are fickle if the temp drops below 40F. I also had to get used to the controls. It's speedy and fun to drive, and my 6'3" roommate fits in it comfortably as well as two sets of hockey gear. With other cars I've noticed lag in power if the car is loaded up, but not this one. It costs a little more to maintain that the average American car, but if it goes another 100,000 miles I won't complain. It does have some quirky design flaws that I don't like, but have been fixed in more recent models.

The heated leather seats, nice sound system, speed, reliability, consistent handling, blue & red dash lights, mpg gauge, fuel economy is good - I average 28 mpg, which isn't bad for a V6, roomy, sunroof, comfortable.

The cup holders are flimsy and their location stinks - cold beverages get warm being in front of vent. Also, the driver's side door handle is peeling. I don;t like the location/design of the climate controls and CD/radio, you have to look at them while driving to make sure you're pressing the right button. The paint job could be better - mine's pitted

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review