2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Reliability, Build, and style
By connor7 on 08/23/14 21:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my MKIV almost a year ago, and cannot sell it to any offer. Between its peppy engine and reliability, I love it. The 1.8t has been nothing but good news, but be warned..Know how to drive and maintain these cars or you will have issues. I put 40k on it in the past year for work and school, going 100+ on most highway journeys, bringing it to 236k. Besides the belt changes done by the previous owner, it's needed very little work. No oil leaks or power loss, or tranny problems yet. The trannys usually cant pass 150k but I guess im lucky. A con is the materials used in the interior. Headliner falling, door panel upholstery falling off, and finish fade. Numerous modifications available

Love It
By md_medic on 01/05/14 04:55 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have wanted an MKIV since they came out. I bought a 2000 in 2012 and was in a total collision 3 weeks later. The other girl went to the hospital I walked away without a scratch. As a former mechanic and mobile electronic technician I can tell you the build quality on this car is amazing. It is extremely safe. The only drawback to the car can be the cost of parts. This is one place where is does not pay to cut corners. There are a huge number of aftermarket companies out there that make replacement parts but when they charge $35 for a part that VW charges $350 there is a reason. With this car you basically get an AUDI in a VW wrapper. Most of the parts are interchangeable.

GTI oh my! what an experience.
By kudin on 12/18/12 21:24 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Honestly I can say owning the VW GTI VR6 was nothing short of a nightmare. I had purchased the top of the line 2001 in 2011 GLX with less then 140,000 kilometers and was the third owner. Over the span of one year it coast me half its value in repairs for parts that are literally prone to failure. Volkswagen knows this but makes no attempt to fix it, simply Google coil-pack failures for the mk4. As a car it is fun to drive its fun. However its heavy slow and antiquated. The whole VR6 thing is overrated till you hit the highway and the bulk of my driving was city so its a pig on gas, changing the oil is at least a 100 dollar job if you do it right and go full synthetic.

Fun to drive between repair shops
By caro2012 on 10/17/12 00:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my 2001 GTi with 25,000 miles on it and put another 105,000 miles on it over the course of 5 years. While it was comfortable to drive and had nice styling, the car completely lacked reliability. In the 5 years that I owned it, these are the things that broke or degraded prematurely: PCV tubing Ignition coils Ignition coil wiring harness (degraded insulation) Timing belt (replaced at 50,000) Clogged oil pick-up tube Radiator fan (broke) Coolant flange (degraded, leaked) Drivers side seat belt clip (bad sensor) Automatic transmission (failed at 100,000; rebuilt and failed again at 130,000) Broken, leaking axle at 130,000 Leaking power steering pump Cam tensioner Belt tensioner

Fun to drive. A lot of $$$$ to repair
By cjluvdub on 06/29/12 00:23 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

When I drove this car off the lot it was 9 years old good condition low miles. But within a few months the problems started, needed a new fuel pump trans. started slipping shifting hard intermittently car would die once shut off and required discon & recon of battery at least once a month. Window regulator broken, drivers window switch broken, seat belt & drivers door sensor don't work(purchased it like this) & now with 110k the cat. convert is failing along with the o2 sensors(not cheap parts!) & the current problem is the braking when I first drive in the morning the brake pedal & brakes feel like they're pulsating and then it goes away for the rest of the day might be time to trade...

Excellent car, even for parents with 1 baby!
By steveygti on 01/26/12 17:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my 2001 VW GTI 1.8T GLS. I bought this car brand new and now I have about 171k miles. This car has been a phenomenal experience for me the past 11 years. In spite of what people say about 'electrical problems, etc.' with VWs, this car had none whatsoever. The only things i had to replace since i bought this car were a new alternator (at 125k miles) and a new a/c compressor (at 168k miles). I regularly took this car in for an oil change and check up to VW. I am sad to let this car go and sell it so i can buy an suv since my family is growing into 4! Im thinking about getting VS again!

Great Car - My 2nd GTi
By Dante on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I owned an '84 GTi (the original) for 12 years, then a Jetta GLi for 8 more years. After a quick stint with another vehicle, I went back to VW. I bought this car used, with 60k miles already on it. I am now very close to 100k and I absolutely love this car. Only problems I have had is: replacing the water pump (normal) and a bad coil pack (normal?). I maintain it religiously, running only synthetic oil. I honestly never have to open the hood between changes - it uses absolutely no oil, and the old oil is only moderately dirty after 5k miles. One odd issue - I have to top off the power steering fluid every 5k-6k miles and I see none of it leaking out(?)

Love this car
By Amy on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No mods and I'm terrible at maintenance. I pay about $1000 every other year on maintenance, usually get get rid of the check engine light. Love the car. I'm going to keep it as long as it keeps going. I can't find another car with all the features this has. Manual is the way to go. Even as a used car I would recommend. Quite reliable.

150k miles new
By torchmonkey on 06/27/10 21:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i have owned vw most on my post high school life. from an 02 5 spd vr6 gti to a 03 vr6 6 spd jetta. great cars when taken care of and modded properly. stay away from the automatics, and enjoy on a back road once in awhile. currently own a 2001 gti 1.8t. great gas mileage. bit of a hit on power from the vr6 cars i'm used to but can be made up in parts and the 1.8 definitely handles better. my current car has 160k on it and runs like new. interior is showing signs of wear around the ac controls, console, and ignition. shall be replaced soon. rolled my 02 gti 2.5 times at highway speed and 3 ppl walked away unharmed. (perrelli tire went flat and came off the rim). so i don't buy perrelli's anymore.

Ups and Downs
By JT on 12/07/09 23:01 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car in desperate need of a way to get to work, didn't really research it. The performance is good and bad. The turbo is great, very fun, but the engine sometimes jumps when I try to give it gas at lower speeds. Interior is cheap, I've already had broken lights, switches, and compartment handles. Its also too easy to leave scratch marks on interior parts, just rub your fingernail and bits of black dust come right off. I only average at about 23 mpg which is pathetic. Note to all buyers, solve these performance problems with a manual, not automatic. Alternator keeps giving out at 40000 miles too, not sure about that..