Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Reliability, Build, and style
By connor7

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my MKIV almost a year ago, and cannot sell it to any offer. Between its peppy engine and reliability, I love it. The 1.8t has been nothing but good news, but be warned..Know how to drive and maintain these cars or you will have issues. I put 40k on it in the past year for work and school, going 100+ on most highway journeys, bringing it to 236k. Besides the belt changes done by the previous owner, it's needed very little work. No oil leaks or power loss, or tranny problems yet. The trannys usually cant pass 150k but I guess im lucky. A con is the materials used in the interior. Headliner falling, door panel upholstery falling off, and finish fade. Numerous modifications available

Favorite Features

Driver's seat adjustability, numerous features, dash ilumination colors, asr, two sets of fog lights (get a euro switch and you'll find out the second set), flip-out key, heated mirrors, cup holder design I guess, and monsoon sound system

Suggested Improvements

CEL ligh never turns off, all four of my struts failed (wanted coil overs anyways, restrictive airflow for turbo, TIMING BELT issues prominant in many, many models, any where there was glue.. it gave up holding, front cab storage space

Love It
By md_medic

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have wanted an MKIV since they came out. I bought a 2000 in 2012 and was in a total collision 3 weeks later. The other girl went to the hospital I walked away without a scratch. As a former mechanic and mobile electronic technician I can tell you the build quality on this car is amazing. It is extremely safe. The only drawback to the car can be the cost of parts. This is one place where is does not pay to cut corners. There are a huge number of aftermarket companies out there that make replacement parts but when they charge $35 for a part that VW charges $350 there is a reason. With this car you basically get an AUDI in a VW wrapper. Most of the parts are interchangeable.

Favorite Features

Definitely the powertrain on the car. The car is very peppy and handles wonderfully however you can still get 30 mpg with careful driving. It is also very safe. While it may not have many of the safety features that a new car does, the performance of the car will keep you out of a lot of accidents (If you know how to properly drive). If you are in an accident it is extremely safe. Most cars have the outer door skin and then an interior door panel. The VW has a metal panel between the outside and inside panel. VERY SAFE.

Suggested Improvements

There are some items that VW should have recalled and never did. For example the coil pack on this car is prone to failure. VW never issued a recall and to get a decent replacement product it is going to set you back $350+ just in parts. Also the car electronics are temperature sensitive. I have noticed that my trip computer does not like to work when it is extremely cold and then when it gets really warm the LED display becomes hard to read. Also there are some minor things such as the gear for the sunroof is prone to stripping (which makes closing it even manually impossible). the electric window regulator is a nightmare and an expensive fix because it is overly complicated.

GTI oh my! what an experience.
By kudin

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Honestly I can say owning the VW GTI VR6 was nothing short of a nightmare. I had purchased the top of the line 2001 in 2011 GLX with less then 140,000 kilometers and was the third owner. Over the span of one year it coast me half its value in repairs for parts that are literally prone to failure. Volkswagen knows this but makes no attempt to fix it, simply Google coil-pack failures for the mk4. As a car it is fun to drive its fun. However its heavy slow and antiquated. The whole VR6 thing is overrated till you hit the highway and the bulk of my driving was city so its a pig on gas, changing the oil is at least a 100 dollar job if you do it right and go full synthetic.

Favorite Features

Iíll start with the positives the car is fun looks good and is made from quality materials. Mine was even assembled in Germany so the whole Mexican/Brazil assembly argument is moot. Cargo space is phenomenal this thing hauls a massive amount of stuff. I was also T-boned by a Jeep and the first thing I said upon looking at the damage was strong car, in other words it is safe.

Suggested Improvements

I am sorry if something isnít reliable it is not a good car it is a piece of crap, if it cant hold its own for 3-4 months out of the year without going into the shop its waste of space time and your money no matter how you look at it. Anyone who is telling you VW is reliable is misleading Google Toyota or Honda in the bulk of reviews from legit to average consumers these companies gain top marks for reliability. Volkswagen doesnít have the same reputation. If you have the money to spare and are not a 20 something college student paying his own way in life and donít mind sinking some serious cash to spruce up this car then this cars for you.

Fun to drive between repair shops
By caro2012

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my 2001 GTi with 25,000 miles on it and put another 105,000 miles on it over the course of 5 years. While it was comfortable to drive and had nice styling, the car completely lacked reliability. In the 5 years that I owned it, these are the things that broke or degraded prematurely: PCV tubing Ignition coils Ignition coil wiring harness (degraded insulation) Timing belt (replaced at 50,000) Clogged oil pick-up tube Radiator fan (broke) Coolant flange (degraded, leaked) Drivers side seat belt clip (bad sensor) Automatic transmission (failed at 100,000; rebuilt and failed again at 130,000) Broken, leaking axle at 130,000 Leaking power steering pump Cam tensioner Belt tensioner

Favorite Features

Turbo Nicely designed interior and exterior Comfortable to drive; Handled well

Suggested Improvements

Better mechanical reliability all around. I spent almost as much in repairs on the car in the time that I owned it as I had bought the car for. The transmission problems were lethal to that car. Flawed transmission design. VW needs to own up to their vehicle design flaws. The ignition coil failures were a fiasco.

Fun to drive. A lot of $$$$ to repair
By cjluvdub

2001 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

When I drove this car off the lot it was 9 years old good condition low miles. But within a few months the problems started, needed a new fuel pump trans. started slipping shifting hard intermittently car would die once shut off and required discon & recon of battery at least once a month. Window regulator broken, drivers window switch broken, seat belt & drivers door sensor don't work(purchased it like this) & now with 110k the cat. convert is failing along with the o2 sensors(not cheap parts!) & the current problem is the braking when I first drive in the morning the brake pedal & brakes feel like they're pulsating and then it goes away for the rest of the day might be time to trade...

Favorite Features

Gas mileage! (before the cat went bad) Turbo! Handling! Acceleration I still love Volkswagens and this will not deter me from purchasing another!

Suggested Improvements

Everything that I listed above as problems! Would LOVE improvements!