Poor reliability spoils GTI fun
By Laja Dare on
2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback
While I enjoyed the performance, comfort and styling of my 2000 GTI, I cannot recommend this vehicle due to constant breakdowns. Reliability was very poor. The power window "retainer clip" broke three times, the glove box hinge broke twice (cheap plastic), and virtually every exterior bulb on the car burned out within 24 months. A valve blew in the engine, the clutch went out at 40K (a thousand bucks to replace), the CD changer went on the blink and on and on and on. I spent countless hours in the service lobby regretting my purchase. Don't get taken in by the plush interior -- this is a cheaply built car. Have a look at the Impreza, RSX or Sentra...
Favorite Features
Stout motor, crisp handling, good fit & finish, full-sized spare, safety features
Suggested Improvements
Instead of making the best $23,000 vehicle on the road, VW decided to make the most frustrating $21,000 vehicle. Using metal instead of plastic parts for the power window assembly and a more durable clutch would help, but this is just one model to avoid. Don't buy it!