2000 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Extremely Unreliable

2000 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

Extremely Unreliable
By punky on

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is, by far, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I feel compelled to warn people about buying this car. Here's just a small list of the litany of things that went wrong with the car: both electric windows fell off their tracks (expen$ive to fix), the rear window's tube for wiper fluid broke and leaked all over the interior of the car, the catalytic converter malfunctioned (emissions and performance were screwed up), the hatch lock would not lock, the glove box broke--twice, the handles for the seats constantly fell off, the wiring was constantly malfunctioning, the taillights burned out every 3 months on average, brakes torn up, etc. And I'm leaving a lot off this list.

The car was fun to drive--when it worked.

Honestly, when Consumer Reports said that this car was no longer well made, I didn't believe them. Thousands of dollars later, I wish I had. I've owned cars over 12 years old that had MUCH fewer problems. There was always something wrong with this car. No car has ever given me this much stress.