2000 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: 215K plus miles

2000 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

215K plus miles
By mtcranium on

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Over 215k miles. I bought the car with 20K miles. Replaced two sets of spark plug wire/ignition coils (70K & 150K), clutch (170K), replaced various cooling connectors (180K), front brake rotors (180K), control arm bushings (210k). Now needs a water pump and thermostat. There are several interior items worn out. The cd changer has an electronic tick when hot. The center arm rest/console hinge broke, along with the stick shift console housing/ash tray wrap-around. Vanity mirror light is dead. Cigarette lighter is dead.

Seats look like new and still feel like aftermarket sports seats. Monsoon sound system has never blown a speaker (trust me I turn it all the way up and I have a teenage son, they should all have blown by now). This is a true sports car without the hype. I have seen 145mph in it. Solid speeds, great gear ratios. I can race the kids in the new AWD rally style cars fitted with $$'s of aftermarket parts and keep up. I won't say they can not win on a track but on the street this car is more than you need. Mountain driving is exhilarating; my GTI can handle better than I can drive. I will keep repairing this car until gasoline is illegal!

As for aftermarket parts the only modification I would add is sport shocks if you can handle a stiff ride. The only power option I have heard of that will make a marked difference is a supercharger. I wouldn't think the $2500 investment is needed on the street.