Used 2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

215K plus miles
By mtcranium

2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Over 215k miles. I bought the car with 20K miles. Replaced two sets of spark plug wire/ignition coils (70K & 150K), clutch (170K), replaced various cooling connectors (180K), front brake rotors (180K), control arm bushings (210k). Now needs a water pump and thermostat. There are several interior items worn out. The cd changer has an electronic tick when hot. The center arm rest/console hinge broke, along with the stick shift console housing/ash tray wrap-around. Vanity mirror light is dead. Cigarette lighter is dead.

Favorite Features

Seats look like new and still feel like aftermarket sports seats. Monsoon sound system has never blown a speaker (trust me I turn it all the way up and I have a teenage son, they should all have blown by now). This is a true sports car without the hype. I have seen 145mph in it. Solid speeds, great gear ratios. I can race the kids in the new AWD rally style cars fitted with $$'s of aftermarket parts and keep up. I won't say they can not win on a track but on the street this car is more than you need. Mountain driving is exhilarating; my GTI can handle better than I can drive. I will keep repairing this car until gasoline is illegal!

Suggested Improvements

As for aftermarket parts the only modification I would add is sport shocks if you can handle a stiff ride. The only power option I have heard of that will make a marked difference is a supercharger. I wouldn't think the $2500 investment is needed on the street.

GTi 1.8 Fun Car to own
By Danan

2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

It is a very fun car to drive, I have had it for more than 8 years, and 145,000 miles, still on original clutch. Never take the car to dealers, always work with local VW mechanic. Maintenance is a little bit high, but it is worth it. I have changed the ECU to after market, the car goes 20% faster and save more gas.

Favorite Features

1.8 Turbo with ABT ECU is really awesome, the car is fast and a gas savior. Suspension is a bit weak, but still enjoyable and

Suggested Improvements

Interior needs to be improved, after 5 years, all started making noise, and all the protection starts to wear off.

Real Trooper
By jon

2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful little car. Quick, agile, and the sound of the VR6 engine is just beautiful. Pretty solid; I ran it into a ditch pretty hard, tow truck pulled it out and I kept on driving it, ran brilliantly. Even after 150,000 miles it still feels far more solid than my grandmother's Ford Focus. Feels just as good doing 130 as it does 25. Not a head turner, but hey, it's what's on the inside that counts.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, blue dash lighting, amazingly spacious, Climatronic, Monsoon sound system

Suggested Improvements

sturdier cup holders, less "quirks" in driving. A sixth gear would have been nice

Fun, But...
By slm409

2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

The 2000 GTI is a great car in many respects. The finish is far beyond what one would expect from a car of this sticker price. And the drive is an absolute blast -- the high-end torque is awesome. I love the feeling of moving the car from 60 to 80 mph. However -- the maintenance kills you. I don't even have 40,000 miles on the car and I've easily paid in excess of $8,000 to maintain the car (and that is excluding oil-changes and the like). So, used-car buyers, beware. I've had to replace everything from the oil-pan to wheel-bearings to ignition coils. All in less than 40,000 miles and I car for the car, i.e., I'm not a crazy or aggressive driver.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, interior lighting, and the way the car drives.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the quality. The amount of extraordinary repairs on this $20,000 car has been ridiculous. I had a Honda that I put over 150,000 miles on and I replaced oil, tires and the clutch. My VW/GTI I have under 40,000 miles on and have had repairs and replacements too numerous to list here.

Best Car I've Had
By Julie

2000 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

I LOVE this car. If the new GTI offered 6-cyl., I'd get a brand new one. This car is so fast and so affordable. It has never left me on the side of the road, nor has it ever required ANY major repairs. I only have regular maintenance: oil, tire rot., wipers, tires, etc. I got a K&N air filter and it's even faster. I LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

The great torque and tight handling.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to be able to turn on the "recirc" without having to turn on the air/heat system. Offer power seats!