2000 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
215K plus miles
By mtcranium on 12/22/11 11:16 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Over 215k miles. I bought the car with 20K miles. Replaced two sets of spark plug wire/ignition coils (70K & 150K), clutch (170K), replaced various cooling connectors (180K), front brake rotors (180K), control arm bushings (210k). Now needs a water pump and thermostat. There are several interior items worn out. The cd changer has an electronic tick when hot. The center arm rest/console hinge broke, along with the stick shift console housing/ash tray wrap-around. Vanity mirror light is dead. Cigarette lighter is dead.

Real Trooper
By jon on 07/31/08 20:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful little car. Quick, agile, and the sound of the VR6 engine is just beautiful. Pretty solid; I ran it into a ditch pretty hard, tow truck pulled it out and I kept on driving it, ran brilliantly. Even after 150,000 miles it still feels far more solid than my grandmother's Ford Focus. Feels just as good doing 130 as it does 25. Not a head turner, but hey, it's what's on the inside that counts.

Fun, But...
By slm409 on 03/12/07 13:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

The 2000 GTI is a great car in many respects. The finish is far beyond what one would expect from a car of this sticker price. And the drive is an absolute blast -- the high-end torque is awesome. I love the feeling of moving the car from 60 to 80 mph. However -- the maintenance kills you. I don't even have 40,000 miles on the car and I've easily paid in excess of $8,000 to maintain the car (and that is excluding oil-changes and the like). So, used-car buyers, beware. I've had to replace everything from the oil-pan to wheel-bearings to ignition coils. All in less than 40,000 miles and I car for the car, i.e., I'm not a crazy or aggressive driver.

Best Car I've Had
By Julie on 02/27/07 17:24 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

I LOVE this car. If the new GTI offered 6-cyl., I'd get a brand new one. This car is so fast and so affordable. It has never left me on the side of the road, nor has it ever required ANY major repairs. I only have regular maintenance: oil, tire rot., wipers, tires, etc. I got a K&N air filter and it's even faster. I LOVE IT!

I Love My GTI!!
By Pejammin on 01/22/07 18:53 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

I loved the heck out of this car. If it weren't so small and I didn't have a family now, I would keep it FOREVER. It has been so good to me. It handles really well and feels solid. All the bells and whistles made it really comfortable. The only downside: parts for VWs in general are super expensive. And the engine light comes on for the slightest problems. Oh, and the seats don't recline.

2000 VW GTI GLX VR6
By Sigh on 04/16/06 23:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

This car is amazing, and I found a really good deal on it.. Mine is fully loaded with air conditioning, power sunroof, 6 CD player, power windows, cruise conrol, lether seats, you name it. It is unbelievably fun to drive and superfast! Of course, I have the standard version!

2000 GTI VR6
By sgooch70 on 11/06/05 22:01 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is a great car to drive, the VR6 is a excellent. The backseats are almost worthless though. I have kids, so I am getting a larger car, however I am going to keep the GTI. I am going to keep it because when the back seats are folded down you would not believe the utility it has. I have used it to haul 6 full sized railroad ties, 1/2 a pallet of landscaping bricks (a 3/4 ton truck can only carry 1 full pallet), 4x8 peg boards, and I have two 80 lb. Labrador Retrieves - both can sleep comfortably in the back. I bought it with 60,000 miles, and I have put about $2,000 into it, and the used VW warranty has covered about $3,000 in repairs. The car has been solid since 80,000 miles. I have 91,000 on it now.

I love my GTI VR6!
By jloden on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is my favorite car ever! Fun to drive. Never left me stranded. Had my window drop, but got it fixed. I get 24 mpg in the city, too..but it's a V6...what do you expect? If you want better gas mlg, get a 4-cyl. I was going to get the Acura RSX Type-S until I drove this car! Tight, fast, comfy, safe. I don't see any reason to get any other make but VW...now that they have the Toureg!

should have bought the 1.8T
By XB3 on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

console controls are poor and hard to read. Suspension is soft, had to ugrade to make car live up to it's hype. Road noise coming through.

All cars will have their trouble...
By sftbltuck on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Any car you buy will need to be kept up. I agree the windows are a pain, but easily fixable. I have over 30K on my GTI and have had nothing but fun times, as long as you take care of a car, it takes car of you. I do have to say after owning a honda, the gas milage is a little sad...